Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been searching a lot for holsters that I think might be more inline with what I want. I like the Bravo Concealment holster and also am interested in the Tier 1 Concealed Appendix Carry. I have never tried appendix carry but understand it is the most comfortable.
Problem is, I can't find any that are made for Ruger. What's wrong with Ruger that big name manufacturers don't make holsters for them?
I have a Ruger SR40c, Ruger LC9s and a Ruger LCP. It is my luck that two of the three of these guns are single stack and have not much capacity. I would hate to buy another gun just to get two, or so more rounds. I would hate even more to have to buy another brand name gun just to get a friggin holster.
A good part of my problem is I have had three open heart surgeries and have no muscle in my upper body. I have a 38" waist and a 32" butt. In addition to wearing a belt, I have to wear suspenders, especially when concealed carry, which I do from the time I get out of bed until the time I go to bed everyday.
I currently have FoxX Kydex Hybrid for all three guns and I like them really well, just looking for something that might be comfortable with not printing, plus possibility of an extra magazine capability. I like the FoxX Hybrid at my 3:30-4:00 position, especially for my LC9s. I also have a Blackhawk Concealment OWB holster for my SR40c, although it is not very concealed.
It really bothers my wife when she sees people staring at the gun, if exposed, and sometimes when just printing. I don't care, but I have been noticing people staring when they are able to see it. We frequent a local Mexican restaurant and apparently one of the servers noticed my gun. Before long we noticed the server was discretely bringing other employees by and pointing it out. This made my Wife even more uncomfortable.
Ruger is, and always has been a good gun and I don't understand why the limited availability of holsters for them.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Have you looked at Vedder Holsters? They make Kydex holsters and list all three of your Ruger models on their website. I purchased one of their Lighttuck IWB holsters for my SR9e and found it to be a great holster for carrying concealed with an over shirt or other over garment. They also make single and double mag carriers, too. Although I have not purchased one of those. The photo is of me carrying in the 4 o'clock position (I've got too much gut for appendix carry).

Brown Shoe Bag Luggage and bags Black

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can understand the GUT thing. It just really irritates me that what is considered "Major Brand" holster makers don't make anything for Ruger. I was at the local indoor range and most of the instructors had Bravo Concealment holsters. I really liked them because the way they are made it hold the gun butt close to make it easier for concealed carry.
The most comfortable is OWB but of course, not very concealable, especially in a Tee shirt.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
JT Holsters & Belts is another source for great quality holsters. I bought a chest rig from them for a Smith and Wesson Governor and the quality is outstanding. They custom make each holster and list many Ruger models. Their Double Clip or Biker Special holsters look great for concealability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone tried the Tier 1 holsters on their Ruger? I know, even though they are not specifically made for Ruger that sometimes you can run across a satisfactory fit. I have a Blackhawk Concealment OWB that I purchased for a Taurus PT140 many years ago and it works great for my Ruger SR40c.
Well, guess I had better take it back. Looking at my Blackhawk CQC Concealment holster, it is stamped on the back "Ruger SR9". I apparently purchased it for a Taurus PT140 MilPro and it happens to fit my Ruger SR40c. You know, Crow tastes a lot like chicken.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What state are you in? Try El Paso saddlery!
I am in Indiana. I will check them out. Do you prefer a leather holster? I thought about getting a holster from muddyriver.com. I was told that they were the most comfortable holster you could get but I am concerned about losing shape and not being able to holster the gun without removing it from my waist.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unfortunately, Ruger is never going to have the aftermarket support, including holsters, that Glock, M&P, the XD series enjoy. Bravo makes nice holsters but they are a relatively small operation and now that they have switched to making injection molded plastic holsters they are even less likely to add additional guns to their lineup. The more they have to spend making molds, the more they will have to charge for their holsters to make up for the difference. I have been using a Tier1 Axis as my primary concealed carry holster for 3+ years now and I have nothing but good things to say about it. You could always send them a message and see if they would make you a custom one.

Bladetech and We The People make holsters for the LCP and LC9. I believe that both of them use to make SR holsters but I don't know now. We The People make decent kydex at a decent price.

I agree with PaulRuger, if you want to go the leather route El Paso Saddlery would be the way to go for a Ruger pistol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have seen a lot of reviews for leather IWB holsters where they removed the holster from inside the belt, holstered the gun and stuck it back in their waistband. I will have to check out the El Paso Saddlery.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts