Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since I gave up my Sccy cpx2 in favor of my Ruger Lcrx 38 spcl , I have done away with my budget gun philosophy and have been thinking about the low capacity of my revolver and the near impossibility of doing a reload under fire. So I began to dream about being A millionaire and getting every gun, accessory, and training aide I desire. Oh boy, what fun it is to dream. So to get back to earth here, I was wondering what your recommendations would be for the highest capacity double stack 9mm that would be around $ 500-600 . I looked at the beretta storm and the Cz-75 but didn't know if there was something better and something more fitting to my lack of experience. I gave up the cpx2 because I was having trouble racking the slide. Now I wonder if that was because it needed oiled . Guess I'll never know so I'll chalk it up to lack of understanding and experience.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Get yourself an SR9 and it can be bought brand new for around $400 - $450 and it will be just as good if not better than the Beretta Storm or the CZ-75.

Heck the Taurus PT92 I just bought brand new for under $400 has been flawless and one heck of an accurate gun. It is the clone to the Beretta 92 and many have reported it shot better out of the box than the Beretta did. I wanted an inexpensive but quality high capacity 9mm with a 5 inch barrel and this Taurus PT92 has fit the bill. The PT99 has the adjustable rear sight which if I was to buy another it would be the PT99. I know the crap talk about Taurus guns is out there but the reviews on the PT92 or the PT99 are mostly highly rated. I know mine shoots about par with my Sig P226 and it is my most accurate semi auto full size gun.

The one thing to know is the PT92 pinch which the Berretta 92 and 84F can have also. The way the barrel and the slide work you can pinch the web of your thumb between the barrel and the slide. I did it with my Beretta 84f which has the same design. I watch how I grab the slide on this PT92 and I have yet to get the pinch. Yep it will let you know you screwed up gripping the slide wrong.

Before buying any gun try out the slides to see if you can easily rack it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
So since I gave up my Sccy cpx2 in favor of my Ruger Lcrx 38 spcl , I have done away with my budget gun philosophy and have been thinking about the low capacity of my revolver and the near impossibility of doing a reload under fire. So I began to dream about being A millionaire and getting every gun, accessory, and training aide I desire. Oh boy, what fun it is to dream. So to get back to earth here, I was wondering what your recommendations would be for the highest capacity double stack 9mm that would be around $ 500-600 . I looked at the beretta storm and the Cz-75 but didn't know if there was something better and something more fitting to my lack of experience. I gave up the cpx2 because I was having trouble racking the slide. Now I wonder if that was because it needed oiled . Guess I'll never know so I'll chalk it up to lack of understanding and experience.
I'm in much the same boat as you. I have ditched most of my "budget," guns and went with better quality. The one stipulation? They had to be American made. I chose Ruger.

I was a huge Taurus fanboi. The sleeper of the Taurus line was the 800 series. The 809 and 809c along with the 845 was my choice. Unfortunately Taurus dropped them this year. Buster has another good one in the PT92. Beware though, It is a pain to deal with their customer service if you need a repair. It's almost impossible to get parts, they want you to send it in. Prepare for a long wait.

My brother has a S&W SD40VE. It has been good. I don't know if I can think of a better recommendation for a high capacity budget handgun. I would choose the SD9VE though.

My personal choice would be Ruger though. If you want a safety, get the SR9e. I chose the American Pro . I absolutely love my compact version. 12 +1 should be enough, and I can use the full size magazine if I want 5 more!

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@greg_r: Yeah I'm kinda partial to American made as well and especially ruger. Oh if I only had a larger paycheck to get all the guns I want. I think I'm gonna start an adoption charity program for homeless guns new and used. I'll let you all know how it works! Lol!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not much of a glock person . They are good firearms, but I feel your mostly paying for a name. I did run out and handle the Ruger SR9 and I liked it . So the ruger may be taking up residence with me in the future.

·
Registered
992 Posts
In reality, you can get a very good high cap auto like an SR9c for around 450. But my LGS has a SIG 320 compact for 550, and it's a Cadillac. If the gun you really like the best is 100 or 200 more, you won't regret spending the money in the long run. Actually you might save money because in a year or 2 you'll end up buying the one you passed up at first. Trust me on this, I know from experience...

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Yup that's how we end up having a collection of guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts