Hi-point?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by conservative, Dec 13, 2016.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

I realize this is a Ruger forum, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with hi-point . Are they good for the money. Don't have a lot of money to spend.

2. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I bought one just because I found a good deal on one. $100 for the CF380 and 100 rounds of Remington white and green box. It was new in box, never fired.

It has never had a malfunction and is very accurate. Sure, it's heavy and blocky. I liked it so well I bought a Hi Point 995TS carbine to go with it. It also has run like a champ.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I can tell ya ....for the money , they are really good guns,

The C9, 9mm pistol is big, heavy, and ugly, but has never failed, and is accurate. Not a good carry gun.
    My grandson loves shooting it.

c9.jpg

The 4595TS is .45 acp , in a ugly (ape gun) carbine,
    But is a great shooter out to 75 yards. Very accurate , and also has never failed.
    I only bought this gun because I was interested in seeing what .45acp would do out of a 17.5" barrel, cheaply. Its awesome.

apegun.jpg

Jim

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Most all reviews of Hi Points are very favorable. Heavy and ugly but they go bang very well for the buck. I had ordered one once but it got backordered. Yep it actually was backordered. I ended up canceling the order before it became available.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I've got a 995ts. Shot 100's of rounds through it. Never malfunctioned. Most people who hate on hi point are people who've never shot one.
    If you want a pistol, especially a carry piece, I'd spend a few more dollars and get something smaller and lighter, like the sccy cpx or an LCP.

I like the carbine, it's accurate and good for what it is, a pistol caliber carbine.
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1481695028.594344.jpg

They ain't purdy, but they work!

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^ ^ They even make those carbines in .380 ACP.
    It wouldn't make for much of a rifle caliber but I was tempted when I saw one at a gun show.
    Just curious about what a .380 would do from a rifle.

:GadsdenFlag:

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

It actually does pretty well. About like a 9mm from a duty sized handgun.

I decided I needed one. Ordered one. Then my daughter started on about how she needed one. I let her do the paperwork. Funny how I still paid for it! :confused:

8. hodge

hodge New Member

Hi Point also, now, has some of the best customer service in the business. They are one of the best values out there. They are totally a tool- nothing aesthetic or collectible about them, but you can reliably defend yourself. I have a friend who owns quite a few, including the carbine. His have never failed him, and he's put a LOT of rounds through them. He could afford anything he wanted, but he keeps buying Hi Points.

9. hodge

hodge New Member

At their prices, it would almost be worth the experiment. Too bad 380 ammo is so expensive.

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Very good point about the warranty. It follows the gun, not the owner. Send it back to HP, they'll fix everything that is worn down or broken, give it a good cleaning and throw in an extra magazine, all for free. Or they'll just give you a new gun. No questions asked

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Damn...now I want one !! :rolleyes:

12. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Most all reviews from experience are favorable. Most are those with little to zero experience and just form an opinion from the cheap price and less than stellar appearance. That said, I have verrrry title exp with them. The one I did use, went bang every time. It was however, heavy, clunky, uncomfortable, bulky and darn ugly. Nothing I'd buy personally and I certainly suggest other makes/models given the options being available. However, not everything is fashion and flaunting. :)

13. hodge

hodge New Member

Made me remember this photo...

[​IMG]

14. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I paid $150 , NIB, for my C9 Hipoint, several years ago.

I actually bought it for 2 reasons,

1. I was teaching my grandkids to shoot, and was ready to move them up tp 9mm, so this would introduce them to the power of 9mm , without the recoil. Their first experience with 9mm....worked great. these were 8 -9 yr olds.

2. I needed a piece of crap , cheap, dispensable , more potent than .22 , firearm that I could carry around the farm , when out working...and if it dropped in the creek , or got run over by a tractor....I wouldn't be terribly upset. Also the ability to take out bigger critters(Yotes) that have come close enough .

The C9 fit the bill.:)

Jim

15. hodge

hodge New Member

A local convenience store/gun shop (3 miles down the road) sells them all day long for $189, and they are his biggest seller. He's sold well over 2,000 Hi Points.

What gets me, though, are the folks on Armslist trying to sell a used Hi Point for $200-$300. A young man at our church (over 18) was looking to buy his first handgun, and a friend had a Hi Point in 380 that he'd sell him for $250.00. I enlightened him to how this "friend" was trying to take him for a ride, and showed him numerous examples of Hi Point 380's selling for half that. He eventually bought a Sig P229 off of me, and I gave him a very fair price.

16. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Also, there is a torture test on YouTube, and the Hipoint does really well. I'll have to see if I can find it.

But, for about $225, you can get a sccy cpx 2. 10+1 9mm. Much more compact and weighs a lot less than the c9.
    I actually almost bought one of these, but I ended up spending a little more for a Ruger.

Also does very well in this torture test
    https://youtu.be/kbYbIxmWnec

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  17. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have to agree with Blkhawk that they are not a thing of beauty but beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. But there is nothing wrong with being broke/without money, it's just darn inconvenient! But if a person wanted something to carry for self defense and if you pull the trigger and it always goes bang, then it's something certainly to consider. I would rather have one and not have to use it than need one and not having it. Did I say that right?

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2016
  18. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

If it was all I could afford I'd own one!