Help on bore alignment SR1911

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, May 20, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have a question that may sound silly however in my pea sized brain I have been thinking about this. The sights on mounted on top of the slide assy. The bore is below the sights meaning the bullet and the sights have to have a place to intersect in order for the two to co-inside. Meaning at what point do the bullet and the sights become the same. I know a bullet rises and falls, especially on rifle however we are talking about a longer distance. How far does the bullet have to travel (230 round nose) before the lines become the same or what I call the intersection point. My groups are good at 30-40 feet however 2-3" low. Ruger checks their sights at 15 yards. Baer, Wilson and the high dollar gun producers guarantee 3" group @ 50 yards which is far more than I can see with my old eyes. My groups average 1 1/2"-2" at 35-40 feetalthough low. Is my bullet still going to rise at the 50 yd distance or will it maintain the present trajectory? If anyone can help me, please advise. Lowing the front sight 2/10,000ths will raise the bullet 1" per 25 yards according to Novak. Jim, you have a lot of rifle experience and will understand bullet drop more than most I think. It has been over 20 yrs. since I shot rifle and I have forgotten most of what I can remember, or possibly Buster or someone else. Can anyone help me???? I forgot, but I think it's called bullet compensation. Am I right??
    Tommy

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tommy,
    You give me too much credit for a country boy that just shoots a lot of lead at papers, and tinker.

There is a lot involved here, but basically it boils down to your personal sight picture, sight alignments that predict the zero (intersecton) .

All bullets succumb to old man gravity , as soon as they leave the bore, how much , depends on bullet weights and velocity.

Heres a little description that I find helpful, if you have a good calculator.

http://foxdouglas.com/fun-bullet-trajectory.htm

Jim

Last edited: May 21, 2015

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I sure am glad you asked Jim and not me.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Hey you guys,
    You know I spent a lot of years in the 3rd grade but we never got to hieroglyphics. And the only reason I spent that many years in the 3rd grade was Dad was in the same class. I don't need a computer to figure that formula out, I need a NASA scientist!!!! What the chart did show me was that the bullet trajectory and sight alignment does cross each other twice. Now that also depends on speed of ammo, choice of ammo, and weight of ammo used. I am going to have to experiment.
    Now for the next: Mike from Ruger called me today and said that the bushing and barrel fit was a little on the loose side but would pass their quality inspectors. He elected, (which I appreciate) to replace the barrel and bushing, and took it out to test fire. He fired 50 rounds through it for "fam" fire and then fired 5 for accuracy. The range was 15 yards and he said that other than 1 flyer (his fault) he was able to keep the shots within a 2 inch radius. If I can keep my shot within a 2 inch spread @50 feet, I will be happy. At my age, eyes and hands not much good anymore, I figure it won't make any difference if a BD comes at me and I spread my rounds out a couple of inches. If he is more than 50 feet away from me, then to hell with it and I am heading out of Dodge. Jim, I thank you for the formula that I will contact NASA on (actually did learn a little) and dear Buster, you are such a support morally and give me all the confidence that I need. I would be lost without you 2 guys.
    Oh brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get out your 5 buckle overshoes! Something got deep in a hurry!:rolleyes:
    Tommy

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I generally shoot from about 11 yards out and free handed. I am not a real good shooter and still learning but I am able to keep most shots within 3-4" from center poa. I am believing that even 3 out of 5 shots in the heart area will be sufficient to take the BG down. If that doesn't take him down then this old fat guy screaming at 110db hopefully will make him run the other way covering his ears.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That explanation really looks a lot worse than it is.

Tommy I hope your gun shoots to POA for you when you get it back.

I would love for all my 1911s to shoot to center using exactly the same sight picture.... that dont happen... close but no 2 guns shoot exactly the same.I cant always remember whichsightpictureto use for which gun and then, change up the ammo and it changes again. I just say "Close enough "..:)

Ever noticed how some days your best shooter cant hit squat..:( then other days your putting every shot up a gnats butt ?:metal2:

That is a phenom that I cant quite explain.

All part of the game... thats what keeps us going.

Jim

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    You got that right!!! Some days I can go to the range and hit dead on and then the next week, I go to the dogs. What I am trying to accomplish is that regardless of which weapon I pick up, I don't have to stop and ask myself which sight picture do I hold. I know that if a BG came up to me, I would probably have an adrenaline rush or panic because I have to stop and think what is the right sight to use. I know a weapon is like my wife, not quite sure of the mood she is in. And you are right, absolutely, that is the part that keeps us going. Once I kind of get my sights adjusted to where I am comfortable, then I really need to work on the load that works the most consistent. And that also is part of the fun, although frustrating at times. My present problem is finding the right powder to use. Powder out here is a scarce as hens teeth. Hopefully one day that situation will be resolved. And BTW, although I may not understand the formula that you recommended, it's still a good learning tool and I will (with some of my buddies) be able to work part of it out so I can absorb it. So therefore, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to send me the info. I may be old but never too old to learn.
    Tommy