Help me identify this 10/22

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Prsman23, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Prsman23

Prsman23 New Member

New member with my first 10/22. I have scoured Ruger's website and couldn't find any info on this. Bought it new at my local ffl. This isn't the old talo edition, but it has a French walnut stock. Model number 11102. Tried contacting Ruger but they weren't much help. When I pulled the stock off it's an altamont.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361545044.628768.jpg

2. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

10/22-CB should be what the box label shows. It is a TALO model. Not sure what else you were looking for.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

3. Prsman23

Prsman23 New Member

Well if you look closely at what is on the talo website and what I have they are clearly different rifles. The number on the box is 10/22-cb as you had indicated. However the manufacture date is 08-2012. The last limited edition 10/22 with the walnut is listed as being made in 2010. The stocks are similar but missing the ruger logos. I appreciate the input. Just curious if ruger does a lot of models that they don't put on the website.

4. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

A bunch of models don't make the sites. 4:25AM now but I'll see what I can find later on in the day. Could simply have been a clean-up gun.

5. Prsman23

Prsman23 New Member

Yeah. Kind of what I was thinking. It came without sights which I thought was interesting. I'll give ruger a call on Monday. I tried to go through email and they were less than helpful.

6. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Well...it appears from my perspective that it's the Classic III general design. Correct stock style, engraving pattern and wood. The lack of the Ruger emblem in the forearm engraving and perhaps the lack of the split in the engraving and the grip (can't really tell from dark pic) suggest to me it's a pre-production stock. The longer no-sight barrel though has me a bit "hmmmm..." and thinking it's a clean-up gun. What markings does the barrel have for roll marks?

Ruger doesn't answer such questions via e-mail as they have a records department for that. They also don't answer the questions like they used to. Now, they take the info and for a nominal fee - $5 or something like that - send a paper for the particular serial number.

7. Prsman23

Prsman23 New Member

I'll check into that for sure. Here is a close up of the markings. Anything else you need a pic of let me know.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361723685.457339.jpg

8. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Hmm, ok, sent of an inquiry to someone that would know best about this. Will pass along anything I find out. The model # isn't right for the Classic III though so not sure.

9. Prsman23

Prsman23 New Member

That is very nice of you. Thank you!

10. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Well, from what I'm been able to gather from the folks that are behind these... It's simply one that got through a bit different that nobody caught. Personally, I'm thinking it's a late one made from parts on hand. Never know. Enjoy shooting it!

11. guillaume

guillaume New Member

I purchased the same model on GunBroker a week ago and just took delivery today. It does indeed look just the same as the picture at the top of this thread. The box is marked as has been discussed above: Catalogue No. 10/22-CB and Model No. 11102 (the bar code contains those same model no. digits). Serial No. 821-68*** Sort of strange it doesn't show up anywhere.

12. DLM1114

DLM1114 New Member

I have the same rifle... Same model number, catalog number, engraved French walnut stock, no sights. The lack of sights was odd, but it was too beautiful to pass up. I don't know much about it. Did zero research before finding it at a local shop.

13. Prsman23

Prsman23 New Member

Same. Saw it. Thought it was just a beautiful rifle and bought it without a second thought.

14. Whitearrow

Whitearrow New Member

I too have the same exact rifle as y'all's. does anyone have any new info on this unicorn that even ruger doesn't seem to know much about?
    Thanks,
    Whitearrow

15. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

From what I'm gathering for info, there was simply some clean-up of parts that were assembled and shipped in this configuration. Things happen. No sure if records will show them being shipped in this manner or not.
    If those with these wouldn't mind...I try and help the RENE, which is THE archives for Ruger firearms. If you could PM me the serial numbers, it'll assist in narrowing down the range and number possibly produced. Any dates would be a great help as well. Even knowing which distributor they came through is a helpful tidbit.

16. Whitearrow

Whitearrow New Member

The first thing that caught my attention was the French walnut stock. But when I picked it up I noticed that it was very unique in that I've never seen a factory 10/22 that had a slick sporter weight barrel with a red #1 recoil pad thrown in for good measure. Also if you other owners of this rare breed might notice that if you look down the barrel you can actually see the rifling spiraling down the outside of the barrel. Don't really know what that means but mine is a shooter with the ammo it likes it will shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50 yds.
    Thanks,
    Whitearrow

17. meadows

meadows New Member

Sorry to revive an old post, but I have one of these rifles.

Gorgeous does not begin to describe it.

I purchased it during the panic season when black guns and 10/22 "assault rifles" we're hard to find. I stopped at an FFL gun shop looking for a standard Ruger wood stock, I intended to refinish it with multiple coats of hand finished polyurethane. The salesman pulled this from the shelf! This is a true heirloom quality gun, I'm not a huge fan of typical wood stocks, but I do love a high quality wood stock! I have never been able to absolutely identify this gun.

18. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk meadows,

Thanks for joining,

Would like to see ya stop by Introductions, ans tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks

Jim

19. meadows

meadows New Member

Thanks Jim!
    Introduction posted !