Help in Browning Citori Diana

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Tommycourt, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

A lifelong buddy of mine passed away 2 months ago and I have been visiting with his wife. He and I went to school together back in the 60's and have remained steadfast friends. He had a Browning 12 ga Diana grade shotgun that he wanted to give to me years ago. I was living in Ca at the time and told him I had no way to get it back on a plane. His wife is coming to Mesa this coming fall and she wants to give me the shotgun. I told her that I would BUY it from her, she said no and I said we will talk about it. I already own a Pre-type Browning Citori (1973) however when ever I look up a Browning Citori Diana, I can't find any information. It has been years since I have seen it but it had inlaid pheasants on one side and an inlaid duck on another and I believe light engraving. Is anyone knowledgeable on Brownings and can give me what would be considered a fair price. I know she and I are gonna fight over the price (she wants nothing) and I won't ever shoot the gun but will retain it for sentimental reasons if nothing more. He was too close a friend to try to resell or try to make a profit. His friendship was enough to sustain me many lifetimes.

Tommy

2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

The Diana's are retailing from between $7500-$15,000, based on what is currently for sale on Gunbroker. They are truly beautiful guns.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hoo-haw. Tommy, you have a problem.

4. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Wowser! You can say that again! Holy smokes!
    We definitely want pics when you get it! Sounds beyond amazing!
    Sorry for the loss of your friend.

5. havasu

havasu In the army now..

The Citori's have really shot up in value but keep in mind that this is a pretty recent upswing. When I purchased my field grade Citori, I paid $800 for a used gun back in the early '90's. At that time, the Diana's were worth about $1500. If you gave her the money he paid (roughly $1000 -1500) she would be made whole again and you both could walk away smelling like a rose.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tommy,
    I bet your friend would say" Sell that sucker for 8 grand , give my Misses some of it and ,buddy , you have a good time with the rest "

I bet , that's what you would tell him , if things were reversed ...huh?:):)

Jim

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah, I 'feel your pain', Tommy. Of course I don't, I feel my own pain, and assume yours. You live long enough, close friends beat you to the exit.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I thank you all for your input on this situation. Financially she is in fine shape however, and even though we were best of friends, I can't just take the shotgun. My friendship ran and still runs very deep and I want to make sure that we make a fair deal. I sure can't afford the $10K or whatever so I would like to make a good offer. As stated, more than likely, I would tell him to take the gun and sell it (his choice) or do what he wants with it. I won't see her until this fall as she owns some property in Phoenix and she is bringing it then. I have time to think about it but personal feelings run deep on this. Should I acquire the shotgun, and said should, I will let you all know and gladly post pictures. He went blind about 25 years ago and that's why he told me to take it. He said to shoot it and enjoy it. I just want to be fair to her. I guess what I am saying is you can't put a price on friendship. We just have to enjoy them while they are around and appreciate what they really give us while they are here. Again, thank you all for the responses.

With all sincerity,

Tommy

9. havasu

havasu In the army now..

That man was your friend. Take it, shoot it, and make him smile from above. Money is secondary, so maybe gift her something she normally would not buy?

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I look at it this way...if he wanted you to have it and she wants to honor his wishes and she doesn't need the money I would tell her how much it is worth and see what she says about giving it to you then. If she still insists on giving it to you then I would say your not accepting it could well be taken as being rude since she is obviously wanting you to have what he wanted you to have. No doubt she knows how much her and her husband valued your longtime friendship.
    I would tell her that should something happen to you and the gun was someday sold then you would see to it she or her family got an agreed percentage on amount of the money from the sale. Or if something happened to you then the gun would go back to her.That IMO would be very fair. You get the gun like your friend wanted and if something happens to you then the wife would get what the gun is worth at that time or get the gun back. I think she would be open to discuss these options. Bottom line is she has the right to do whatever she wants with the gun, even if that means giving you the gun. I think you could make things emotionally hard for her by not accepting the gun according to her wishes.

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Wow, that is a truly fine looking shotgun!

I agree with Buster about possibly making her upset if refusing to accept the gun without payment. In the end, it's not really about the gun, but about your friend.

12. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I agree completely with you. As a woman I think this would mean the most to her. Havasu is wise ;)

13. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Yeah, I'm a two time loser when it comes to marriage, so you might want to consider the source.

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Tommy,
    Sorry for your loss.

If she's in a financial position where $10,000 doesn't mean much to her, maybe you should take the gun like your friend always wanted you to.
    She must know he wanted you to have it.
    If there is anyone that you could pass it down to the story of two friends and a fine gun will live on long after we're all gone.

On the other hand, if you ever find yourself in financial need I would think both your friend and his wife would want you to sell it as a way to help you.
    If I were the friend I know I'd want that gun to help you if it was needed.
    Either way, you honor your friends wishes.

Just my thoughts on it.
    Mag