Hello from NC

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by greg_r, Apr 28, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Hello from North Carolina. Didn't know this forum existed. Jim (Phidoux) invited me over, and I'm glad you folks allowed me in. See a few names of folk I know!

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey Sarge,

Glad you came over,
    Yeah we are a sister forum.

Great bunch of folks here,

and lots of Ruger knowledge.

I welcome you.

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Welcome, Greg. I would refer to RT as a brother forum, but don't want to get on the wrong side of DoubleR.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T Marine !!

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, I don't know any of your other user names to welcome you by, but welcome to the forum!

6. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome from the South East Texas Gulf Coast. :)

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Welcome to RT forum and all the great folks on here. I see that Jim invited you and you were kind enough to join us. Glad to have you on board. You will get to know all the people on here after a while and they are all great (except maybe Jim, Bob, Buster, Mag and a few others I can't mention). In all seriousness, we have a good time here kidding each other and hope you feel at home.

Thanks from Tommy in the land of the sizzling sun-Az.

9. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to the family.
    Happy you took Jim up on coming for a visit!
    Kick up your feet and stay a while :)

10. phideaux

Greg is over on Bersa forum,

We chat there also with some good folks...

It would be fine if some of you guys drop in and visit there also.

Bersa firearms are VERY nice firearms.

Some very knowledgeable gun nuts over there too.

Jim

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Just thought I would talk about myself and my like of Ruger. Been a fanboy of Ruger for a long time. The first handguns I shot were Rugers, a Single Six and a Blackhawk. You know what they say about first impressions! Also, I am a very big fan of single shots, instilled in me by my father and grandfather long ago. I would be given five 22 shorts and an old Revelation rifle. If I came back with 3 squirrels and one cartridge, I would be given a spanking for being disrespecting of the game animal and being wasteful. I learned to be sure of my shot!

Anyway, my first rifle was going to be the Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet. Alas, I could not afford it. Got a Harrington & Richardson in its place. My 2nd and 3rd was to be #3's in 30/40 and 45-70. Again, H&R would be the choice, only I had to settle for 30/30 and 45-70. When I bought my home and wanted a handgun for the house, the N.E.F. R73 was the choice (Harrington & Richardson had gone out of business and NEF bought the rights). At this time I had became interested hunting with handguns and the N.E.F. R92 had caught my eye. I saved up for it and when I went to the shop to purchase it, I changed my mind and bought a Ruger MKII.

Finally I had a Ruger! And it was as good as the first ones I had shot. It was also the first semi automatic and the only Ruger I would own for a long time. My only regret was that I wished I had bought the Single Six. I didn't because at the time North Carolina only allowed hunting with a 22 rimfire with at least a six inch barrel, and no longer that 7 1/2 inches on game lands. The only single six they had,had a barrel that was too long.

About 2 years ago, the bait and tackle shop I frequent had a Ruger Charger new in box. I thought what a great squirrel gun, my second Ruger. (They came out with the second generation Charger a few months after I purchased mine, but that's OK, I like the wood stock on the first generation better.) And not long after that I made the mistake of holding a LCRX3 in my hands. What a great carry! My 3rd Ruger.

Last week I was back in the bait and tackle shop when they were showing a 5 1/2 inch Single Six Convertable in stainless steel to a customer. $499 out the door price. It did not sell, I thought it was a good price and when the clerk was putting it back up, I stopped him. Finally, some 35 years after I bought the MKII, I have my single six!

My only regret now? They don't make the #3 anymore.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  12. phideaux

That NEF R73 is very high on my want/wish list.

They fit right into my H&R revolver collection..:cool:

Jim