Hello from Lobo74 in PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Lobo74, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Lobo74

Lobo74 New Member

I read a post before I left the range tonight suggesting that someone's first question on this site should be posted in the introductions forum. And that you should say something about yourself. Name is Joe and I'm 61 years old. Have a slight disability with my left leg from a bone cancer operation in 93. Got reintroduced to shooting and hunting about 6 years ago. I work full-time. Anyway, I have a Ruger SR40 and 40c purchased in that order 5 or six years ago. Last week I took the 40c which is my carry gun to the range for some practice. Loaded 4 15 rd mags of Winchester white box 165 FMJ. Lots of misfires (light strikes) i guess you would say. I think on average about 3 per mag. I reloaded all misfires and they eventually all fired. So I wasn't sure if it was an ammo problem or gun problem. Did a little research watched some you tube and decided to clean the striker. No problems getting it out or getting it back in. Picked up a couple of boxes of Federal Champion 180 gr FMJ. Went to the range tonight. 2 mags of federal 2 of WWB. Shot the first mag with winchester. Ejection problems. It would eject the spent round, load the new round but the trigger would not be cocked. I would say 3 ejections like that on first mag. Fired the next mag with the federal. All 15 rounds no issues. Thought it was ammo problem and the gun was acquitted. Fired the next mag with WWB same problem same frequency. Fired the next Federal mag ut oh same problem. Same problem. I than fired the 9 round mag that I carry with PDX1 ammo. Same problem. I would really appreciate some help. I really do not want to send it to Ruger and really really don't want to have to buy a Glock. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Welcome to RT; good introduction.

I'm pretty sure you don't feel any great need to read about my entirely reliable SR40c, so I won't mention it. Your problems seem to be two different ones. The second suggests that your reassembly may have been a little off - only suggests it mind you. If the gun were mine I would arrange with Ruger CS for them to check it out. It ain't my gun though. Whatever way you go, I hope it works out well.

Let us know the outcome, please.

3. Lobo74

Lobo74 New Member

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot here. I'm just looking for some input. I have no issues with reading about the reliability of other rugers. I like my Rugers. The only thing I did different then a normal cleaning was to take the striker out and clean it. And I didn't have any misfires this time so I'm thinking that the striker was put in correctly. I was looking for some ideas as to why it might not be recocking. I apologize for the Glock remark if anyone on here took that personally but I would have to believe that others on here owns some guns besides Rugers. Anyway, thanks for the feedback and if any others on here have any ideas about the trigger I would appreciate it. If not I'll take it down again clean it and go from their. If I still have problems I'll do what I need to. Thanks

4. Lobo74

Lobo74 New Member

I apologize to Vtillman. Truly sorry I reread your response and mine to you was not very appropriate. I am sincerely sorry. Joe

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Welcome to our forum and thank you for a very gracious introduction. On this forum you will not find people who critsize nor chatize you for your thoughts or performance on how your weapon works. You WILL find people who want to help you with any corrections on whether you have a weapons problem or an ammo problem. The guys and gals here are very helpful and more than willing to go the extra distance to help you. I hand a similar problem this last week with my SR1911 in which I had 4 failure to fire. They were handloads which I did myself and it came down to using a specific primer. It took me a little while to figure it out, but I did.

I am glad you joined and once you get to know some of the people here, you will feel very comfortable. Express yourself freely and openly and you will be treated the same. Again, welcome aboard.

Tommy from the land of eternal sand.........Az.

6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Welcome! We love all guns not just Rugers. Even Glocks! (Well, I hate Glocks but there are quite a few here who own one or more.) We all like to help get problems like yours resolved. That's what this community is all about. Well, that and a bit of leg pulling, but that's another story for another time...:D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk,

Thanks for joining us,
    Just hang tight and someone might just have the answer your looking for.

Lobo...hmmm... Wolf. :cool:;)

Jim

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome from Texas Joe, glad to have you.

I understand not wanting to send your 40c back to Ruger but this is not the first lite striking non trigger resetting "C" model I've heard about.
    I had a 9c that did both.
    I'm of the opinion that Ruger needs to know about it and should be the ones to fix it.
    But I'm all particular, so there is that.

I don't think we have very many 'Ruger Only' types here so mentioning or buying a Glock is not forbidden.
    It's kinda like, if it's a gun we like it. (Some people will hate on Blocks though). Lol

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

A friend had a SR9c and said he had problems with light strikes. I said I hadn't had any problems with my SR40c but then dang if I started having light strikes. I sent it back to Ruger and haven't had any problems with it since. Seems Ruger did have some problems with the SR 9c and 40c. No cost on me to have them shipped, fixed and back to me in about a week turn around time.
    I had a Glock G27 40 caliber and I didn't even like it. It was the first gun I ever sold. I also had two Springfields in 40 and I also sold both of them. I kept the Ruger and still have it.
    I would call Ruger and they will take care of it. Just a suggestion....are the magazines seating good? I have had problems when magazines didn't seat all the way locked in place. A friend had a problem with a Standard 22 and found that the magazine tangs had to be adjusted. He had no problems after bending the tabs a bit. Just a suggestion from the armchair.

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to RugerTalk! :welcome:

Sounds like you fixed the light strike issue but maybe put it back together a little bit off . Maybe try disassembling and then putting it back together again. If that doesn't work, calling Ruger can't hurt. If they ask you to send it in, they will pay shipping and return a perfectly reliable firearm back to you free of charge.

11. Lobo74

Lobo74 New Member

Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone. I will watch for anymore feedback and in the meantime clean and try again. If that doesn't work I will take the advice and contact Ruger. Thanks again

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

No offense taken. I thought you handled your frustration quite well. Since I quit drinking I had to find another way to ease my mind. Eating icecream works - sort of. Brandy was better though.

13. zippo9

zippo9 Member

Ain't that the truth!

Welcome Lobo

14. Lobo74

Lobo74 New Member

Update

Okay, so I came home from work today and cleaned the 40c. Did not take out the striker. Also, I sprayed down the mechanisms in the frame pretty well. But dried things off afterwards. I did leave everything a little wetter than the last time. Went to the range. Here were my results. 4 15 round mags. 1st mag was 10 165 fmj WWB topped off by 5 federal 180 gr fmj. 5 shots and the trigger did not recock. As before it had ejected the last fired round and loaded a new one. Dropped the mag, took out the round from the chamber and put it back in the mag. 10 following shots no problems. 2nd mag was 15 rds of the federal. All 15 fired without issue. 3rd mag 15 rds of the WWB. 1st round misfired or light striked. Dropped the mag ejected the round and put it back in the mag. 15 rds fired no problem. 4th mag WWB FMJ. All rounds fired without any issues. So I also brought along some WWB 180 gr JHP that I had. I planned on using this for my carry ammo if the gun was working okay. I shot 2 9 round mags without issue. Loaded another 9 in the mag and went home. So what does everyone think. Do I still have an issue. Ok let me take that back, does the gun still have an issue? Does anyone think this could all be ammo related? Thanks again for any feedback.

15. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I'd probably want to shoot about 100 rounds with no malfunctions before I trust it. But that's just me. I actually only shot 2 boxes of my carry load (Hornady Critical Defense) before I carried it, but my LC9s hasn't malfunctioned with any load ever and I have used the Hornady stuff with complete satisfaction before so I was pretty confident. I've shot a fair bit more since then and still good to go. Maybe you got a bad box of WWB. If you can get hold of it, I've found Magtech in the 250 round dark blue box to be some of the best practice ammo.

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T Neighbor !!

Enjoy our community...

17. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Not just this forum but several have noted problems with Winchester white box. Many guns do call for a 200 to 300 round break in. Hickock45 who reviews guns had a Ruger SR1911 that had issues until broken in.

18. conservative

conservative New Member

Welcome from Ohio Lobo 74 ! Am I right to say that revolvers don't have this problem. Lol! Just thought I'd mention that. Lol! Welcome again and I sincerely hope you get things figured out. I don't know squat about autos and not a whole lot more about revolvers and less than both of those about reloading but I was thinking that you might think about modding some of the internals, but first I would send it to ruger. That's what I'm going to do with my ruger lcrx .38 spcl . Like I said, hope everything works out. I know how it feels, that feeling of fear that takes hold when I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or whats wrong with my gun as one can see from the questions I've asked on my threads. Lol

19. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member