Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
We want to see pictures. The 10/22 is just an all around great rifle. Now you can make loads of mods and make it just like you want. Just tell everyone what you plan to use it for. I use mine to keep tree rats off of my bird feeder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my 10/22 because I’d loaned my old 22 (Remington 66) to a family member who left it in his shed over the winter. Needless to say, I’m trying to salvage it, but I like shooting my 22 and if that old Remington gets back to being usable it’ll be retired. My son likes it and after 43 + years i figured I’d get something new.
I squirrel and rabbit hunt mainly with a 22 and I’d love to just go out shooting or plinking but ammo prices being what they are I’m doing that less and less.
7EC1F832-6275-4F55-9856-3D7D0008DA35.jpeg

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice looking rifle. It will probably do everything you want right now. That be said it is a fun gun to tinker with. I replaced the bolt return buffer pin with a steel cored polymer. Just didn’t like the metal on metal sound. Also dropped a BX trigger in it and replaced the charging handle to match my stainless barrel. Best of luck with your new rifle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I got my 10/22 because I’d loaned my old 22 (Remington 66) to a family member who left it in his shed over the winter. Needless to say, I’m trying to salvage it, but I like shooting my 22 and if that old Remington gets back to being usable it’ll be retired. My son likes it and after 43 + years i figured I’d get something new.
I squirrel and rabbit hunt mainly with a 22 and I’d love to just go out shooting or plinking but ammo prices being what they are I’m doing that less and less. View attachment 13148 View attachment 13148
I now only have two Ruger 10 / 22 Rifles , My old 1964 mdl was handed down to my grandson after I refurbished it replacing the barrel refinishing the wood stock and powder coating the receiver , steel butt plate & barrel band , trigger guard. These are the two Ruger rifles I now have and I have killed several 300 & 400 Pound Wild Boar with them and I also took out 44 Coyotes with them in the past year. The .22 LR is often under estimated in terms of killing large animals and useful for self defense.

This Ruger 10 /22 is equipped with the Sightmark Wraith Digital Day night vision scope , FAB Defense Stock , ER Shaw factory tapper 18.5 " barrel ,Ruger BX Trigger .I sit in a 25' Ladder Stand 50 to 75 Yards from a Pile of Sour Corn at night with this rifle and make head shots on Wild Boar the CCI Velocitor is my go to ammo for this operation. This Stock factory Ruger 10 / 22 Rifle below is this rifle above minus barrel & trigger group & stock.

Below this is my 2nd Ruger 10 /22 Rifle it's the 50TH Anniversary Edition 1964 -2014 .I picked this up new old stock after it was returned to the display case in the store it had been put back for a customer but they failed the back ground check and were refunded their money and the rifle had been kept in the gun safe in the back room for six years and was over looked and never returned to the display case , I was in the store when it was finely returned to the display case and I told the clerk I want it wiped out my CWP & $330.00 cash and took it home that day boy did I luck out on this rifle. only 25,000 were made.

Reactions: Gruvr

·
Registered
380 Posts
We want to see pictures. The 10/22 is just an all around great rifle. Now you can make loads of mods and make it just like you want. Just tell everyone what you plan to use it for. I use mine to keep tree rats off of my bird feeder.
I think the Ruger 10 /22 is the most modified .22 LR rifle on the market with all the after market items you can virtually build a 10 / 22 totally out of after market parts I have seen some extreme 10 / 22 rifles where guys had put 3 grand into a 22 rifle. I am glad I have owned one since 1964 the year they were first introduced to the market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
“The .22 LR is often under estimated in terms of killing large animals and useful for self defense”👍

Timing is everything can’t be overstated in the case of you coming across the anniversary edition. While I’m not one to have weapons I won’t use, I’m getting a bit sentimental as I get older and recognize the value of giving something of not just monetary worth to kids and grandkids.

That tricked out hunter version is pretty cool. I haven’t decided if I’m going to dump any money into an already nicely functioning rifle or not. I’m sure that if I keep reading thru the mods outlined here on Ruger Talk I’m might develop an itch. Decisions decision.

·
Registered
380 Posts
“The .22 LR is often under estimated in terms of killing large animals and useful for self defense”👍

Timing is everything can’t be overstated in the case of you coming across the anniversary edition. While I’m not one to have weapons I won’t use, I’m getting a bit sentimental as I get older and recognize the value of giving something of not just monetary worth to kids and grandkids.

That tricked out hunter version is pretty cool. I haven’t decided if I’m going to dump any money into an already nicely functioning rifle or not. I’m sure that if I keep reading thru the mods outlined here on Ruger Talk I’m might develop an itch. Decisions decision.
I don't think it was timing ,I think fate lead me to the Anniversary edition as I had my first ruger 10/22 in 1964 when I was 12 yrs old the year they first came out I saved up $60.00 cutting grass ,picking apple , I went with my Grandfather to buy a Remington .22LR Nylon 66 apache rifle and they were sold out and the new ruger caught my eye I liked the flush fitting 10 round magazine and the walnut stock & I took it home ,I got 56 years of shooting enjoyment out of that rifle many hunting memories with my Grandfather & my Friends . I past that old ruger on to my grandson after replacing the factory barrel with a new one with Tru Glo adjustable iron sights , refinishing and powder coating the receiver , Butt Plate , Trigger Guard ,Barrel Band & refinishing the stock , It looked new when I was done with it and in 56 more years I hope he passes it on to his grandson .I gave him 10 factory magazines and 4 Bricks of .22LR CCI Ammo 2 Velocitor , 1 Stinger , 1 Mini Mag for a mixed bag of ammo for target , plinking , Hunting. If you do anything to the RUGER 10 /22 I recommend the RUGER BX trigger it improves your shooting experience , The old 64 mdl trigger pull was a grisp 3 pounds after 56 years of use so it did not need a BX trigger ,as everything on the 1964 is all steel no plastic at all.

I have a 25' ladder stand setup 75 yards from this feeder and with night vision I use my Ruger 10 /22 rifle to Kill these Wild Boar with a shot placed to the head , I like to shoot at the base of its ear for a clean one shot kill ,I' ve killed as many as 11 Hogs in this fashion with the Hogs returning with dead hogs laying around they run off when I shoot and come right back ,I only use the CCI Velocitor 40 grain copper plated hollow point for this because they fly out at 1435 FPS hit hard and penetrate deep this an Average Size Hog but I have killed some Giants with the Ruger 10 / .22 the largest one was 585 pounds and it was 7 feet long. No meat is spoiled or wasted with the .22 delivered to the brain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The fact that the pigs keep going back with their companions lying there bleeding pretty much belies the idea that pigs are more intelligent than dogs!
My rifle doesn’t like CCI cartridges, I haven’t found Velocitor for sale but Mini mags or standard velocity target it doesn’t like. So far my rifle really likes Winchester cphp 36grn. It even likes Remington Golden bullets. We’ll see what the future brings but now I’m happy, I’ve been a cheapskate for a long time, ask my wife, so a relatively cheap date is welcome.
While I’m in a part of the country that isn’t plagued with feral pigs, I’m fortunate to be acquainted with a small farm owner who has problems with coyotes and enough squirrels to bait them with. The baiting works better than calling to get them within 75 yards, much further than that the relatively low velocity and the coyotes reflexes cause too many wounded runners. And the small farms are under 700 acres with suburbs close so wounded animals making it to village streets to die is not an option. He’s had enough trouble with cops checking out the gunfire. All perfectly legal, but it is Illinois.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts