heated to jelly

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by buster40c, Aug 10, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

It sure does get hot in Texas and you sure don't let any metal sit in the direct sunlight or you will be flinging it as quick as you picked it up. I always try to keep my guns covered while they are sitting on the shooting table. I really hadn't thought this could happen but I know now it is a must to keep polymer guns especially out of the heat and sun.
    http://bearingarms.com/flexing-fn-i...bafbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=baupdate

2. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I am just completely skeptical about this.

I have and love my FNS40 . It is so accurate and dependable. And I have left it for HOURS in a LOT hotter heat than anything he had it at and there was no problem.

In fact I one time left it in the car because where I was going had a no carry policy. It was New Mexico, in the hottest part of the summer, 113 degrees outside and it took me HOURS to finish with my bureaucratic business.

It had to be at LEAST 130 in the car when I got back and the first thing I did was worry about the plastic gun. 130+ heat for HOURS. I thought for sure it was a goner and I was already thinking of what I was going to say to FNH. I did not know what really I was expecting, but I did not expect it to be absolutely fine. Magazine functioned, slide functioned. I emptied it and dry fired the heck out of it looking for any trouble, and it was fine. Took it shooting later, and it was fine.

I am not saying the video is fake. I am just skeptical that ALL he had done was have it laying around on some wood for a little bit outside in Texas.

Things that bother me was he said it was "yeah thats some thin walls" . No, it's not. That looks very standard to me.

Second, that he could easily keep handling something so so so hot enough to bend around like that.

No, I am not buying it at all.

Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have no doubt you could be correct. Some people like to act like they are a magician. I fooled them Ha Ha. Just like the flimsy metal spoon. I would say it's very possible for the gun to be that rubbery it would have probably been to hot for him to touch also. Did you ever touch hot wax?
    When I find an interesting article I may post it for that reason alone. Whether I believe it is another thing. I have also read that polymer guns can distort due to heat which can cause problems over time. Whether they can turn to jelly I would need to see that in person. Not with one of my guns though.

4. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

I can't imagine this happening, but if it's true, they need to switch firearms, and they need to move!!!!!!!!!!! Too darn hot!!!!!!!!!!

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I Googled on 'effect of temperature on gun polymers' without much success. The results are either too technical and nonspecific for me, or they deal with low temperature, not high.

I will point out that at least some polymer framed guns use steel reinforcement, my Grand Power P1 for instance. Also, guns that use a Nylon based frame (at least one of the Rugers for instance) are probably less affected by heat - if I read any of that technical stuff right.

:dizzy:

6. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I carry my SR9c in my truck when working without a hitch and I know it gets above 130F in my truck.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Remington used to make a nylon .22 LR rifle, the Nylon 66.
    I've heard it would warp if left in direct sunlight long enough. Course you can hear anything.
    I sold mine when collectors when crazy for them. Never did leave it in the sun, just in case.

8. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Well if they warp that means you can shoot around corners. :)

9. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I'm not buying into it. The gun is either defective or it's some type of prop gun requiring it to be soft like rubber.

Just my opinion based on nothing, it would seem if it got that flexible it would be quite hot and hard, if not impossible to hold, and/or it would be at a melting point that would make it sticky. No sign of either in the video.

I've never owned or fired an FNX, so I'm not familiar with the feel, but that just doesn't look like a "normal" gun. But who knows, it's on the internet and nobody posts suff on he internet that isn't true.:rolleyes::cheesy:

There's enough reference to this article if it's Googled, that I'd think FNX might want to comment or get after the author with a stick.....:eek:

10. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Gotta be careful not to "kink" the barrel......:eek:

11. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I do know from friends up north, that the cold does throw off the accuracy in the old nylon 22's. Just like a poorly bedded rifle, the stock contorts just a hair, but enough to have an effect.

Guys that hunt rabbits in the winter and are excellent shots, never had nice things to say about them.

So high heat may also have an effect.

Don't know how many are familiar with the old nylon belted tires, but they would have flat spots that would shake a car until they warmed up. A natural characteristics of nylon is it's temperature sensitive.

12. 5thShock

5thShock New Member

If we are talking Zytel here, and I think we are, then there is some Dupont product data here...

http://plastics.dupont.com/plastics/pdflit/europe/zytel/ZYTPPe.pdf

They state the melting temperature is 263 degrees Centigrade and the "temperature of deflection under load" is 200 degrees Centigrade where the load is 0.45 MPa (megapascal and Good Luck to you with that) and the resulting deflection is 0.25mm.