Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I recently purchased a Ruger AR-556, and noticed that on the headstamp pf the cases, there is what looks like a slice going across the headstamp near the rim Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
A mark the ejector puts on the case while the action cycles maybe?
Like SHOOTER13 said, pics would help.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Doubtful, microstamping only applies to handguns, and so far only in California.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^^^
Oldschool that's what I thought but my LGS showed me a new rifle on his shelf with the micro stamping.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
^^^^

Oldschool that's what I thought but my LGS showed me a new rifle on his shelf with the micro stamping.

I stand corrected! :D
I haven't read anything stating its happening. I know that's why no new guns are available in CA. Maybe because the manufacturers still won't invest in technology that's ridiculous and costly?????

·
Registered
154 Posts
I thought that microstamping was done on the firing pin. That way the ejected brass left a "fingerprint."
We have let this thread go astray.
LSP...if you could post a picture of the mark on the headstamp, it would help.

Were these marks before or after shooting?
Was it on all the shell casings? Some? One?

·
Banned
73 Posts
^^^^
Really going to need to see a picture. Ruger is definitely not micro stamping, and as far as I know the technology isn't fully developed to allow for it. I'd really love to know the manufacturer of the rifle your LGS showed you - I don't know why any manufacturer would micro stamp their firing pins when they aren't required to. There are half a dozen reasons why micro stamping is pointless. Anyway - post a picture and someone here will tell you exactly what's going on.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Q: How do you keep a whole gun forum on edge....?

A: Just don't post a picture when you ask a question that requires one... !! :D

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
LordSquirrleyPants,

Haven't seen a post from you in a few days. Hope you are still with us.
I don't have an AR-556, so I enjoy reading about experiences others have with theirs.
Like maybe a range report.
Does it function with all types of ammo including steel case cheap stuff, what type of optics (if any), that kind of thing.

I've heard some Mini-14's & 30's don't do well with steel case ammo so I'm wondering how the AR-556 or even the SR-556 handles it.
There may be some sort of AR in my future so anything I can learn helps. Problem is........Too many to chose from!
Take Care and Happy Shooting,

MagnumBlackhawk :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
LordSquirrleyPants,

Haven't seen a post from you in a few days. Hope you are still with us.
I don't have an AR-556, so I enjoy reading about experiences others have with theirs.
Like maybe a range report.
Does it function with all types of ammo including steel case cheap stuff, what type of optics (if any), that kind of thing.

I've heard some Mini-14's & 30's don't do well with steel case ammo so I'm wondering how the AR-556 or even the SR-556 handles it.
There may be some sort of AR in my future so anything I can learn helps. Problem is........Too many to chose from!
Take Care and Happy Shooting,

MagnumBlackhawk :)[/QUOTE

I endeavor to run brass ammo through my guns, but I've got a friend who has given me some steel cased 223/556. It has run fine through my AR-556; I haven't run into an issue yet, with anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts