Hawkeye 223

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by deputygene, Sep 25, 2016.

1. deputygene

deputygene New Member

Hi everyone, new guy here, was at the local gun store the other day and he had a 223 Hawkeye that had been traded in without ever being shot. Beautiful wood, I knew I wanted it, but as usual, low on funds. So I went home and grabbed a few guns I hadn't shot in awhile and went back, the guy did me right with an even trade, and I had him mount a Bushnell 3.5x10 scope and bore sight it.
    I'm not new to Rugers, years of Cowboy Action Shooting have me with a pile of Blackhawks and Vaqueros. Also have a pretty cool PC4 carbine.

Anyway, I am wondering what you guys are shooting in a 223 Hawkeye. I took a box of factory Winchester 45gr varmint loads, Winchester 55gr FMJ, 55gr FMJ reloads, 55gr Balistic Tip reloads and 3 60 gr softpoint reloads. Accuracy wasn't that great, so looking for some tips, pet loads, etc. I know My savage 308 likes to be coppered up pretty good before it's shoots good. What about this Hawkeye?

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk.

I do not own a Hawkeye .223,
    But the twist rate being 1:9, I would stay with 55 gr,

my 2 cents

Jim

3. deputygene

deputygene New Member

1 in 9, ok, I should have looked that up already. That twist rate should stabilize a heavier bullet, like a 60 or 62 grain.

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to the forum! I've never handled or shot a Hawkeye in .223 before. My only advice would be to buy a good variety of ammo and see what shoots the best.

Enjoy the forum!!

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, probably. According to Hornady, 62 gr. is on the edge. Looks like one needs to pay attention to bullet construction in the 40-45 grain range too; some "explosive" bullets might disintegrate on the way to target.

[I got this info from .22-250 data, so a grain of salt may be required.]

6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

My AR is 1:9 and loves 50 and 55 grainers. It's also got a 16 inch barrel for what that's worth. It is my understanding that longer barrels = more speed = you can get away with a little slower twist sometimes. If you can get hold of some Hornady factory loads with the 55 grain SP, that's a load I've had great luck with. The fact that it comes in a 40 round box for 30 bucks or less, doesn't hurt either...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to RT. Pics are nice so when you get a chance take a pic and post it here for eye candy.

8. deputygene

deputygene New Member

I got a box of 55gr softpoints last fri and spent some time reloading this weekend. Hopefully I'll get to the range this week, take the chrono with me. Also loaded a bunch of 40gr softpoints for 22TCM in the Armscor rifle.

I'll try to post some pics, but my photobucket account is jacked up right now, but I'll try to get that straitened out. ove to post a pic of the Hawkeye, as it is the purtiest rifle I own.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

photobucket isn't needed to post pics here. While you are doing a 'Reply to Thread', there is an 'Additional Options' window with a 'Manage Attachments' box. That will do the deed.

10. deputygene

deputygene New Member

Blurry, try better. Last pic is the Armscor 22 TCM.
    Scope on the Hawkey is a Banner for a .17HMR. Elevation turrents were no where near close, I have a blank turrent I'm going to mark for actual ranges when I find my favorite load.
    Last pic is some of the little 22TCM loads I assembled today. 40 gr pointed soft point over 9.5gr Lil Gun, chronos at 2650 fps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hi deputy and Welcome,
    Thanks for the pics. That 22 TCM looks like a fun caliber.

12. deputygene

deputygene New Member

22 TCM - Yes I am having a blast trying to find the perfect load. Let me tell you, a 35gr V Max at 2950ish fps is explosive! I want to accuracy test the 40gr softpoints shown, if accurate, they may be my goto load.
    The one factory load, a 40gr blunt hollowpoint was not very accurate, The V max's were much better. 35gr hollowpoints were not bad either. The factory load was giving 2800 fps or so, but I think they are over pressure. Bolt lift and extraction were difficult. Primers looked fine though. The TCM case is based on a cut down .223 case, so should be a strong case.

13. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I don't think superman could outrun that. I would like to see what that round does to a picnic ham.

14. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

^^^I'd like to see the ham too. But I'd really like to see what it does to a woodchuck at 150 yards...

15. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member