Happy Birthday America, 240 yrs old.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Jul 3, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

How many have sacrificed to keep this great country independent, and sovereign for all these years ?

Makes me wonder if our elected officials have ever even read the Constitution.

Let us hope that we can continue in this great freedom for many years to come.

http://www.mpnnow.com/news/20160617/declaration-of-independence-adopted-240-years-ago

By Joe Fitzgerald

America will celebrate the 240th anniversary of its Declaration of Independence on July 4. This document proclaimed and justified the end of rule by King George III and the British over America. This document is the first of the three founding documents of the U.S., the other two being the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
    The American Revolutionary War began April 19, 1775, by the British attack at the Battle of Lexington. After some early victories and many defeats, including the disastrous invasion of Canada in December 1775, Gen. George Washington found himself and his small army of patriots fighting a losing battle in Long Island and New York against an armada of over 50 British warships in the New York harbor and over 40,000 veteran British soldiers and sailors. These massive British forces had been ordered by King George III to totally crush the colonial rebellion out of its existence. Washington and his army escaped the British onslaught by retreating across the Hudson River into New Jersey and across the Delaware River into Pennsylvania.​
    As American forces were under siege in New York in the summer of 1776, the delegates to the second Continental Congress in Philadelphia were debating the wisdom of declaring independence, knowing they could be hanged for treason if caught by the British.​
    After much debate, brilliant writing by its chief architect, Thomas Jefferson, a 33-year-old delegate from Virginia; and editing by other delegates, the final document was approved and adopted on July 4, 1776. This document, after listing all the tyrannical “injuries and usurpations” by King George III, proclaimed in its final paragraph, “That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States.” Also its final pledge. “And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.”
    The war was to continue for years. Victories, defeats and hardships yet to come were many: Washington crossing the Delaware (1776), Valley Forge (1777-78), Saratoga (1777) and Charleston, South Carolina (1780) to name only a few. Ultimately, America was victorious over the most powerful military in the world when the British surrendered at Yorktown, Virginia, on Oct. 19, 1781. However, hostilities did not completely cease until the Treaty of Paris in 1783. The war lasted over eight years and had the highest casualty rate of any U.S. war; only the civil war was bloodier. The sacrifices and sufferings endured by the men, women and children of the civilin population were incredible.
    Obviously, the Constitution (1787) and the Bill of Rights (1791) would not have been possible without the declaration and winning the war for independence.
    The Bill of Rights specified the foundational rights of the American people, including the freedoms of religion, speech, press, assembly and petition.
    The Constitution formed a new, unique federal government to protect these rights. As the preamble states, “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

[​IMG]

Jim

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Thousand of lives were given for the sake of freedom in this country yet if you ask half of the people today on who won the Civil War they will say France or England or give you a dumb stare and wonder what you are talking about. Most of them don't even know about WWI, WWII, Korea, Nam, or even who JFK is. It's a sad state of affairs but with all of our problems and troubles we are still THE GREATEST NATION ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy

3. phideaux

Yes , Tommy, We have made our mistakes, we are not a perfect country.

But you tell me one , that you would have the freedom and prosperity that we can have here in the USA.

Love it or leave it.

My newest tee shirt I just got..

IMG_20160627_172337717.jpg

Jim

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I'd love to get that shirt as well. Is there a link to get it by mail?

5. phideaux

6. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I'm ordering today. Thanks Jim. I like this one as well.

Attached Files:

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY !!

[​IMG]

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

We had a fun 4th.

Took FIVE 16~17 year old boys out to the ranch so they could shoot the guns.
    They looked a little concerned when I read them the four rules of gun safety and told them there would be a quiz later. :cheesy:
    Some of them had never fired a gun. They had a great time.

At dark we watched em shoot well over $100 worth of fireworks they pooled their money together to buy.
    I think we had as much fun as them watching them light & run as they did shooting them off.

Happy Birthday America.
    We put fire in the sky (and dirt) to celebrate.