Hand loads for 357 GP100

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by 71magna, Mar 25, 2018.

1. 71magna

71magna New Member

I finally got a die set for 38/357 for my Lee press and was wondering how many of you hand load for the ruger? I figure it’s the strongest revolver out there for “hot” loads but I don’t want to over stress it.
    I don’t like Unique (too dirty) but was thinking of Ultimate or True Blue and Blue Dot. What do you think? I run copper wash bullets nowadays-no more lead.

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hodgdon H110 and real jacketed or hard cast lead gas check bullets for "hot" loads.

3. passtime

passtime New Member

I use 2400 for 158 gr, lead, coated lead and jacketed hollow points with good results. I also worked up a load using 2400 under a 180gr. LWNFPGC that will knock a hog down with one shot if placed correctly.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

If it’s a pistol round and has the word magnum in the name, it gets IMR4227. I have just had good luck with that powder. I like the 140 grain bullets in 357.

Yes, it is an adequate cartridge for pigs, calm pigs, But I want something with a bit more oomph when the pigs get riled up. 44 magnum with IMR4227 and a 230 grain JSP works for me.

5. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

2400 is my go to magnum pistol powder if I feel the need for jacketed defense ammo.

6. passtime

passtime New Member

I have been reading a lot lately about IMR 4227 for .357 mag. I may have to give it a try.

Carl Crosby likes this.
  7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Have you ever used H110 with the 180 gr LWNFPGC?
    I have a supply of H110 and can take a guess on a starting load but have yet to find a spec for a starting load.

8. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I shoot 14.5 grains of 2400 and Elmer's bullet cast in linotype in all of my 357 magnum revolvers.......including a S&W 19-4!

passtime likes this.
  9. Frontiersman

Digging through my notebook, looks like I tried H110 with a BHN 14 180 with GC some years ago. My notes show 12.5 gr. (jacketed max is 13.5 per Hodgdon. It's a single entry, I must not have been impressed. I wrote "unremarkable". This would have been in a my 6.5" stainless BH. I would often try 3 powders in a day, and then focus on the best of the three.

My GC interest was short lived. I'd rather shoot a .45 at modest velocity than overload a .357 to get it to perform where another cartridge was born to run.

It's all fun.

passtime and MagBlackhawk like this.
  10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

When using 260 gr LWNFPGC bullets in the .44 mag I found that I could use more H110 with the 260 gr lead GC bullet than what I used with 240 gr jacketed bullets.
    (Powder space inside the case was virtually the same for both bullets).

If the same holds true with the .357 I should (?) be able to guess my starting load for the 180 gr GC based off the amount of powder I worked out and used for 170 gr jacketed bullets, also from published data for 180 gr jacketed bullets.

Based on the above I'm thinking around 13.5 ~ 14.0 gr of H110 might be a good place to start for the 180 gr lead GC.
    Anyone, Anyone... ?

11. Frontiersman

No. I wouldn't risk it. Although I see where you are coming from, I don't think that the proportions of the powder column, along with the increase in bullet weight and the resulting pressure can be predicted that easily. Other factors, such as diameter of bullet compared to bore, hardness of bullet and your lube of choice, etc. need to be considered.

Be safe. I can't find a single book that will push even a jacked bullet past 13.5. I'd go about 10% below that. Starting at 12 is more like it. Monitor leading closely. A build up of lead can have a drastic effect on pressure. With the right components, I expect you will get close to your goal, but I wouldn't start that high.

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Thanks for the reply Frontiersman.
    I've had the 180 gr lead GC bullets in my supply for quite a while now.
    Gonna give it some more thought before I do anything... Thanks again.

13. passtime

passtime New Member

I shied away from 296 and H110 and went with 2400. The reason being that the 2400 has a wider range of charge weights and it does not require a magnum primer. When I started loading the 180gr. LWNFPGC bullets I did notice that the available load data leaned toward the 296/H110 powder. Many swear by 296/H110 for hot and heavy .357 mag loads. I just prefer the 2400 . I have added a few links that may be helpful to you. I do not recommend any load data from any source. You assume all risk, responsibility and liability whatsoever for any and all injuries (including death), losses or damages to persons or property (including consequential damages), arising from the use of any data found in the links listed below. As with all things connected to reloading/handloading "when in doubt take the safest route".

http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?pageno=1&t=CastData&recperpage=ALL

http://handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=357 Magnum&Weight=180&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    MagBlackhawk likes this.
  14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Thank you very much passtime.

I checked the data from the links you provided. Several of the .357 loads listed are loads I use now.
    The powder load amounts I use closely agree with those listed. (125 gr & 158 gr bullets).
    Also, my guess at an H110 starting load for the 180 gr lead GC coincides with what I see in the data.

Thanks Again,
    I'm well on my way now.
    Mag

passtime likes this.
  15. passtime

passtime New Member

That's fine. Those web sights are a good place to find and compare load data. Two of my favorites. Happy Trails.....

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  16. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I'm finally in the process of working up a load for the Cast Performance 180 gr WFNGC bullet and H110.
    Velocity is at 1231 FPS from my 4.62" barreled Blackhawk and I haven't reached 'a/the' maximum powder charge yet.
    Looks like I'll end up closer to the 179gr h110 listed data. Don't understand the difference between the two but there it is.

357 Magnum 179 RCBS 357-180-Sil "179gr h110" 15.0 .. 1615 .. CastData R1

357 Magnum 180 RCBS 357-180-Sil "180gr h110" 13.4 .. 1296 .. CastData R1

The page below is where the data came from that passtime turned me on to.
    Thanks Again passtime.

http://www.castpics.net/project2/CastDatalist.php?pageno=1&t=CastData&recperpage=ALL

17. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

Yup, yup! For several decades 5.5 gr. Unique has provided excellent accuracy and mild recoil in my Model 19, Dan Wesson, Smith & Wesson 586 and GP 100 MC, under 150-158 gr. boolits! Not Full Snort 357 loads, but eminently satisfactory, and sufficient to all my needs. Not noticeably more "dirty" than 2400, or for that matter, UNIVERSAL. YMMV.
    Took my Match Champ to the range Wednesday.:) Mostly a sight in session, but found out some things...
    my Universal can says: .38 Spl. 5.2 gr. Loaded and shot some...mild recoil, but 357 cases grimed up ~1/3-1/2 length, indicating low pressure. Somewhere I read 5.7 gr. for 357 Mag load. Up 1/2 gr...that should raise pressure enough to allow brass to fully expand, and still be somewhere between .38 +P and 357 start load. Shot 5.9-6 gr Unique behind 158 gr cast boolits; mild? recoil (at least, it seemed so to me) GOOD LOAD for my purposes, ~ 900 fps. NO Leading with commercial cast boolits that leaded before. I relubed them with Lee Alox boolit lube over the supplied factory lube.
    Now, no matter who I buy my cast boolits from, I relube with either LS stuff 45-45-10 lube, or a mixture called BLL (Ben's Liquid Lube, from the Cast Boolit web site and forum) Guess What? NO Leading! :D I did shoot the "Skeeter Load" with 13.5 gr. 2400... didn't like that one, no sir! It is listed a "medium" load...just a little more "medium" than I prefer. Don't like 2400 all that much, anyhow. I now have 4 manufacturers' boolits to test over 5.0 gr. Unique...2 160 gr. cast RNFP, 1 Hornady swaged, and 1 of my favorite boolits, from the RCBS 38 150 SWC K mould...rapidly running out of them, because I don't cast any more, and can't find a commercial caster offering that projectile. :oops: I wager pressures will be somewhat low at 5.0 gr., but will work up to 6.0 gr. Unique. which will provide ~ 1,000 fps. Then, I have AA#5, Trail Boss, and am thinking abut trying IMR 4227 and Herco "just to see";) I have a potful of plated 125 gr. boolits that I have yet to test. Will it NEVER end?:D
    Thanks for listening to my ramblings, and good luck in your search!
    :D

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019