Had a kydex holster made for my RAP Compact .45

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Jschmatt, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1493523733.936013.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1493523750.130158.jpg

Super comfortable compared to the belly band holster I was using. To my knowledge, there's not much of anything out there yet for the .45. The 9mm won't work due to different dimensions.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

It is interesting you have an SR in the avatar and went for the Ruger American. My 9e and SR45 both can use the same holsters, both Kydex and leather. The grips are where the width is different.;) If that is an in the pants holster, let me give you a warning. I tried an in the pants kydex once, just once. The first time you fire a full mag and reholster that gun you will find the kydex transfer that heat to you right now.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017

3. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

Why is it interesting? I opted for the American, because I like the looks and feel of it better. (Avatar updated) I'm aware of the heat transfer.
    The SR and 9E holsters are interchangeable, the American is not. The length and height are different between the 45 and 9.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I should have been more specific, sorry. Since having the 9e and the SR45 the feel and balance or very similar. I personally found the Ruger American slide heavy and would have assumed you would as well since having had an Sr series already. As for the warning on heat transfer, no one told me and believe me that was my fastest draw ever.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Jschmatt, your avatar photo is pretty small, but I think I see whatever that is on the rail extending beyond the muzzle. Any sign of powder burn on the device?

6. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

Oh I believe it. I've seen a couple YouTube videos where they've warned about it. That'll wake you up.;)
    I liked the 9E, but the grip was pretty small for my hands, and it was difficult to conceal with the grip being so long. Regardless, I'd recommend it to anyone. Great bang for the buck.

It's a laser. I've only attached it once, for my 14 year old who grew up playing too much call of duty. It's just for fun, I don't carry it with the laser attached. I could see getting powder burns on it though over extended use.