H110 load data question

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SavageGuy, May 7, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

So I was finally able to get my hands on some h110! Cabelas had it on the shelf and I grabbed it. I also picked up some Hornady 180 gr xtp's. Didn't have any 180 gr lead gas check bullets but the xtp's will make a nice hot load.

Now, to my confusion: on the actual bottle of H110 it gives data for a 180 gr .357 nosler partition bullet. The MAXIMUM charge is 13.5, according to the data on the bottle. Then, in little print below, is says reduce by 3% to get a starting load.
    Then, in my Lyman 48th edition, is gives data for a 180 gr xtp. Maximum load? 14.5! And the STARTING load given is 13.7.
    So, what's the deal? Hodgdons website backs up the data on the bottle. I'm inclined to follow Hodgdons data but I want these to be max loads and don't want to cheat myself out of an extra grain of powder. Is there such a big difference between the nosler partition and the xtp to account for the difference?

What's your take on it?

2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Well, those are some really good bullets. I shoot mostly hardcast stuff and some jacketed. Got some XTPs, but in the 150 gr. range. I don't go that heavy ona bullet in .357. Checked my old Hodgdon's manual, 25th edition. I don't use it much cause I don't use their powders. For a 180 gr gullet, no mention of lead, gas check, or jacketed, it shows a 13.5 gr. maximum load. Guess ya kinda have to guess the type of bullet used.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

From the Hornady manual (9th Edition):

.357 Mag 180 gr HP XTP
    H110 max load: 13.1gr
    WIN296 max load: 13.7gr

I include the W296 load because Hodgdon has stated that they are the same powder. The manual lists loads by velocity range, in 50FPS increments. The loads in each range are very similar, but W296 has an 'extra' entry, in the 1100FPS range.

I have loaded these bullets using 12.5gr H110, and fired them in the 77/357 and Blackhawk with no pressure signs and satisfactory performance.

As is always the case in reloading, you gotta use your own good judgement when pulling the trigger.

[Neglected to mention that Hornady developed their loads using a Colt Python w/8" barrel. Neat.]

:cool:

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah, I guess I'll just start around 12.5 and work up. Weird that the Lyman says 14.5. Can't imagine that they'd list it if it wasn't safe. But still, gotta work it up little by little.

5. daveag

daveag New Member

Different manuals vary. Lyman, especially older books , are on the stiff side of life. Lyman. #3rd edition start 13.9 max 14.5 Just becareful

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  6. daveag

daveag New Member

That's page 161 of the 3rd Edition

7. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, went shooting today. I started at 13 and worked up to 13.5. No pressure signs. Since I want these to be max loads and the Lyman manual says that I can go to 14.5, I'm going to keep working them up-slowly. To be honest I was expecting more recoil, then again I'm shooting them from a 43 oz Blackhawk.

I'm a little bit surprised that there is so much contradicting data- especially for h110 which is a strictly magnum powder.

Have fun and stay safe!!

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Sounds like a plan.

Hah. Maybe the Hornady folks were taking it easy on that Colt Python?

9. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Alright, went shooting again. This time I worked all the way up to the maximum the Lyman manual listed(14.5). No excessive pressure signs. The only difference between these and my target loads was recoil. I mixed some target load brass and these h110 brass together- couldn't tell them apart.

My verdict:
    It is possible to work up to 14.5 grains. Just do it slowly and carefully. I did find that right around 13 grains was the most accurate.

Stay safe!

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey SavageGuy,
    Now that I have a good supply of H110, and when time allows I plan to work up some 180gr WFNGC loads for my .357 Blackhawk. (After I get the bullets).
    Been 'planing' for a few months now. Got toooo many irons in the fire it seems.

Anyway, your jacketed load information will be helpful. :D
    Thanx

12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hey Mag, where do you buy your WFNGC bullets? Been looking around for some.......

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Cast Performance is the brand, Grizzly Cartridge Company sells them at $24.99 per 100. It looks like they are in stock at Grizzly/Cast Performance.
    Don't know about shipping costs from Grizzly.

http://www.grizzlycartridge.com

MidwayUSA had them till a few days ago. $28.49 per 100. Out of stock at this moment.

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You could check out Carolina Cast Bullets too. There are some technical differences, but I don't know their significance.

15. Gr8_Outdoorsman

Gr8_Outdoorsman New Member

Is it possibly due to a difference in .357 mag vs .44 mag in 180 grain?

16. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Probably not. Anyway, I've discovered that I can't get to CCB on the Internet anymore. Googling doesn't find it either. So never mind.