H&R, Blackhawk, Ithaca report.

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by phideaux, Dec 4, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Beautiful day today , so I made it down to the range to see how this weeks find was gonna treat me.:)

I am very happy with 2 , and not so happy with the other.

First up was the Itahca X-15 Lightning , at 20 yards to see where the scope was set. Loaded 5 Win 22 1435 fps, 22lr. The mag holds 7,
    The first 5 at 20 yrds was very good the bullseye of the big target. All 5 grouped 1" , on center pretty much, the rifle is incredibly heavy and with good ammo, SK 1050fps, no doubt will make a 1/2" hole. After moving out to the 35 yrd line nothing changed, 7 shots made 6 holes,
    The trigger is very light , very short, and a nice snap to it.
    The action was flawless, The scope is clear and was sighted in already.
    So Im Happy with this one.

[​IMG]

Next up was the Ruger Black hawk .30 carbine, at 20 yrds, on the big sheet, to find the sights settings.
    The first shots on the big sheet was about 3 1/2 inches low, so I adj rear sight , , next 4 shots were a 1" group on bullseye. Then I screwed up , (because the trigger is really light) and sent a flyer high and right.

Then moved to 35 yrds for the shoot and see target.

The Wolf ammo is 110 gr fmj, and steel case, I need to load for this 7 1/2" pipe. Thye steel case are prone to stick in the cylinder, 2 outta 6 need forcing out.
    Action , timing, trigger, sights, are fine,
    Wish my eyes were better.
    So Im happy with this one
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. phideaux

Now the H&R model 733 , 32 S&W Long.
    I was still at the 20m yrd line so I started ansd stayed ther, shoulda move to 10 yrds I guess.
    Sights are fixed so its a matter of adjusting your sight picture.

First shot was 6" high, adj my sight pic, way too low, ( the grip is too small too, (excuses) I cant hold it like the Ruger, but the I started to adj my aim point and finally got it to hold a 3" group on the big target.Still had trouble holding any groups at 20 yrds. (excuse) that Magtech is not very good either. Ive had trouble with it over the years in other calibers , as far as being consistent, but it was all I could find.

The trigger is probably in the 8# range , even in SA .
    It performed , action wise, flawless,
    Im not so happy with this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wish my eyes were not so old.
    There are aperture stickers to put on eyeglasses to help with poor eyes when aiming, Im gonna look into some of those.

Jim

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Well...two outta three is not bad Jim.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was reading that the H&R 733 weren't exactly tack drivers but were fairly good guns. I used to see a lot of H&R guns for sale on the auction sites. They didn't seem to sell to well though. The company went out of business in around 1986.
    Could be the trigger weight is throwing you off center target.

5. phideaux

Yeah Buster,
    I guess I got a few excuses,

1. I had to rush it a little, a Christmas party today.
    2. I don't like Magtech ammo.
    3. The grips are too small.
    4. My eyes are blurry as heck.
    5. It wasn't really that warm.
    6. My hands were cold.
    7. I'm not as good as once was.
    8. That heavy trigger was throwing me off,(not used to that)
    9. I'm not as good as I once was.

I think #7 & 9 are the problem.;):) (GIMMIE A SCOPE :D:cool:)

Jim

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I can't do a really heavy trigger. I shot a Taurus Judge a couple times to realize I needed a tow truck to pull the trigger. My hands are not near as strong as they once were. One good thing is you can sell the H&R if you really don't want it. .32 is not cheap ammo to buy off the shelves either. I guess you can reload for cheap.

7. phideaux

I think ,with good ammo, it would be ok,
    Its a somewhat collectable, because of its condition , and the 4" barrel. There are only a few out there 4",
    It will reside in the safe ,for the to sell one day. Its worth more than I paid.

Ill try some different ammo. That Magtech 32 S&WL was $30 for a box of fifty. Its semi jacketed hollow point, not great for target shooting anyway.

Jim

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I'd say you did good on all three, can't really expect the .32 to be a tack driver anyway. It'll be good for the collection. (Cause your short on guns).... lol

Now, time to work out some good ole' homemade loads for that Blackhawk. I bet with good ammo that 7.5" pipe will shine at 50+ yd's.
    Maybe with any ammo!

Waiting for the next range report. I enjoyed seeing the shot-up targets. Keep em coming. :D

9. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..