H&R 949 .22 revolver, new to me

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Pancho_Villa, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Well, got this gun and of course ya get a long winded story with it in usual P.V. fashion. Called gy an old classmate about this gun and a Winch. 94, .30-30 NRA Comm. rifle in unfiredcondition, no box. So he brought them the next day to let me make an offer.

The NRA 94 was a high production figure commemorative, like 21,000 mde in 71. Checked references and LNIB was @ 6 bills. Guy did his homework. He wanted 5 for it and it was as he said. Being a cheapo, I only offered 3. He would check around town with other buyers first. Highest offer would take it.

Then he got the H&R out. Well, it wasn't in great shape. He did not have the cylinder pin, grips, or grips screws. The color case on the receiver had dulled and the action was not working well. Trigger did not return and it was stiff. He wanted 125 for it. Told him all he had was a 20 bucks parts gun. He said he could find the rest of it at home later if I gave himthe $. Yeah right!!!

Told him I would try and get the action working and if I did and he would take me to get the cyllinder pin I would give him 75. If he found the grips and screws a full hundred. Got acton working and went to look for the rest. Found the cylinder pin in his underwear drawer and grips and screws in the gun cabinet. He had tried to cold blue the receiver, but that had not worked well as color case hardened receivers don't take cold blue well. Barrel and cylinder were in good shape. He said he had used it last year to go when he went hunting and it rained. He had wiped it down,but didn't oil spray the action, so he guessed it had locked up. Apparently so. It worked well now and had a nice bore. It went bang a few times. Still gotta shot it on paper. And I even had a holster it fit in. Gun has fixed sights and is SA/DA like the standard H&Rs. Howver,it has a loading gate and ejector rod to load and kick out empties like a standard 6 shooter. It is 9 shots, also called the "Forty Niner."

[​IMG]

2. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Not a bad deal at all.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If you get tired of that piece of crap 949,:D

You got my #.

Jim

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Here is a test target. Fired in fuggin cold, like 35 degrees. Not bad compared to some places I guess. Hands were shaking. Distance 10 ds. slow fire SA mode. Printed a little left, but the rear sight looks like it is drift adjustable. That can be corrected. Federal Bulk Pack, using my BBQ pit as a rest.
    [​IMG]