Gunsmither 10/22 tool -- a great tool!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Redleg, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Redleg

Redleg New Member

This Gunsmither 10/22 tool took all the "fear" out of removing the Ruger 10/22 bolt and re-inserting it, at least for me. The first time I removed the bolt and charging handle assembly it took me a long time to re-insert the bolt and charging handle assembly. It is just plain awkward. With this tool all the hassle goes away. I recommend it for anyone who owns a 10/22. This tool is also designed to help with replacing the extractor, for example when you replace the OEM extractor with the excellent VQ extractor.

[​IMG]

Here is the product link. I liked this tool so much that I bought another one as a spare.
    http://www.gunsmithertools.com/gunsmither-1022-bolt-bar/

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Interesting.....never seen this before......

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the tip,
    I think Ill get me one.

Jim

4. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Seriously guys. This tool has taken *all* of the fear/dread/hassle of getting the charging handle and bolt re-inserted into the action housing. Oh, I could get it done before I got this tool. Sometimes it was fairly easy, sometimes not. With this tool it is *always* easy to re-insert these assemblies. So now my bolt and action housings are spic and span.

5. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

just got mine....I had no idea these were made in my home state....

6. RugerRoo

RugerRoo New Member

I've been thinking about getting a Volquartsen extractor. I think I'll get this tool before trying that job. Thanks for the tip!

7. gordo6

gordo6 New Member

If you own a 10/22 and want to clean it properly, you need to pay attention to the bolt. It can be a real pain to get it seated correctly. Joe Beary aka "gunsmither" invented a tool that makes it easy (and will save your finger tips and patience.) He's a gentleman to deal with.

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Never thought of installing the bolt like that. Thanks for the post.

I should be able to make one of those, although the price is quite reasonable so...........

9. R2D2

R2D2 Member

Just ordered it

As a new owner of a 10/22 takedown .....Are there any other specialty tools for this rifle?

YouTube video on it

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvmWmsaRUQI[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

Once you get used to doing it it's no problem for me. Or perhaps I developed a certain way of doing it easily & quickly.

11. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I don't know why, but I've never had a problem removing and replacing the bolt in my 10/22, just followed the instructions and I'm not mechanically inclined. Been doing it since 1973... so guess I really don't need one .

If you want to spend money on specialty tools check out Brownells gun supply catalog, you can buy all the tools your checkbook can cover !
    Gary

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  12. Varmint

Varmint New Member

Now I know what to do with my old hacksaw blade