gunsmith and GUNSMITH

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by KEYBEAR, Jan 21, 2017.

1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

Last August I sent a Stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk to a gunsmith/coater in Brownsburg In . I ask to have the barrel cut from the 7 1/2 inch to 4 1/2 inch and have the action cleaned up and coated a gloss black . I sent the Ruger in the middle of August (2015) and was told four weeks (fine) . About six weeks later I got it sent back . It was a total mess really could not chamber a round so many problems i sent it back . the gunsmith said it was a mistake and would be fixed . Four week later I got it back again this time after sighting it in the front sight came off ? I was told by the gunsmith he was done working on my firearm and good luck .

This work was done by Havlins Firearm Finishing Brownsburg In .
    This gunsmith is good to his name after he was done with my Ruger it was FINISHED .

I found a Gunsmith a little closer to me that was recommended by a friend .
    (C F GUNWORKS) I got the Ruger back today really it does not look like the same gun . They installed the front sight recoated the gun and just did a very nice job of putting it into super nice condition .

A big thank you to both Brad and Brandon (REAL GUNSMITHING)

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Post some pics.
    Yep that is sorry work when they tell you they have done all the screw ups they want to do on your gun. Maybe that was good for you because that got you to find a good gunsmith to make it right.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

[​IMG]

The Ruger on Top I just got back Today the bottom Ruger is an old Ruger Tomahawk

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

Buster I think you may be right . I told my wife I am very happy now with my Ruger and will try to forget the first gunsmith .
    I became accustom to real Gunsmiths years ago . People that knew guns and how to work on them now any one can buy some tools and a web site ( I AM A GUNSMITH)

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yep it is best to check/get many references and gun forums often can help finding a good one. Or like your post people can avoid a bad experience.
    Your gun looks really sharp now.
    Word of mouth can be a business's best asset or killer.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

Buster I hope to two guys that fixed my Ruger do well and keep up the quality . They are both young guys in there 30,s both have worked hard to get to this point and started this about a year ago .

Gone are the days when a good gunsmith was just a short drive away . The small town I lived in as a young man had a great smith he could do it all . He as most a retired machinist with years at the trade .

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

There is a SHORTAGE of gunsmiths.

I had an old 12 ga shotgun I wanted (needed) a recoil pad installed. Simple enough job I thought.
    No shops near me could do the job. (Install pad, keep length of pull same).

After three months at the first well known Houston shop, could not get any info over the phone.
    I had to drive to the place and just pick it up.

Two months at the my next attempt before I started asking if they even wanted to do the job.
    Two weeks later it was done. (The turn around time quoted at drop off).
    The only smith they had was very apologetic for the time it took and he did a great job.

I'm guessing shortening a stock and cutting a pad to fit is not the norm anymore for gunsmiths.

There's a sideline a guy could tool up for and probably get plenty of work. It ain't rocket surgery!
    Custom recoil pad installs. Been kicking around the idea....... :cool:

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Your "NEW" SB looks awesome KeyBear !!

I try to be my own gunsmith...and have bought into the AGI video program for mostly all my firearms...

http://www.americangunsmith.com/

( So far...it works for me...as far as understanding the gun mechanisms, parts and simple fixes. I've done nothing major yet. )

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

Thanks Shooter I do some of the easy stuff but I do know when to call for help .
    I shot the Ruger today and got it sighted in then put about 75 rounds down range .
    It shoots very well the trigger is real nice about 2 lb.

Also shot my 4 1/2 inch three screw today and it is still the best shooter .

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I really like that Tomahawk too....

200 piece limited edition Super Blackhawk by Magna Port with a 4 3/4" ported barrel...early 1978 IIRC.

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

Yes the Tomahawk Is a RCA gun Number 8 . I have a guy trying to buy it but it is not for sale . I told him I would trade but only for a Mag-Na-Port Predator (new) They only made 90 of the Tomahawks for the RCA and so marked . I should shoot it some time but really do not need to ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  12. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I like the jeweled hammer!

13. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Sorry you got ahold of a bad smith, my favorite is a three screw 45Colt. Love them old guns.:D

14. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

My grandfather was a gunsmith and watchmaker by trade. I always thought it kind of funny that the two could be related, until I took apart an old mechanical watch. The attention to detail is apparent in both mechanisms. A good smith is worth their weight in gold.

I learned a bit from my grandfather and worked a bit in my Marine Corps Reserve unit in the armory. Got pretty good at replacing parts in the M16's and 1911's. I also try and do most of my work. I have built much of my collection by buying broken and neglected firearms and fixing them up. I am still waiting on gun parts ink to send me a cap or something in appreciation for what I have bought from them. That said, I am not a smith nor do i claim to be anything like one. Didnt even stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

BTW. That is a really good looking Ruger they fixed up for you.

15. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Muy buenas pistolas KEYBEAR!!!! Looks like very good work.

16. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Unfortunately there is a shortage of 'smiths. I had a competent one about 5 minutes from my house for a few years. He worked fast and cheap. (He did a trigger job on my AR for $49, with a 3 day turn around.) Unfortunately the political climate under our previous POTUS, combined with his advancing age, caused him to retire. No one has stepped in to replace him.

17. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

You can do it.....I'm the most un-handiest , least talented person that owns hardly any power tools and I did it !
    I cut the stock by hand with a miter box and miter saw. just go slow and watch your cut . Sanded the end flat with a sanding block.
    Screwed the pad on. Protected the stock finish with two layers of masking tape. Took my time and sanded the pad down with a little belt sander clamped in a vice. After getting down close to the tape I switched to hand sanding.
    Cutting the pad down to the stock without sanding the stock finish was the hardest part...just go slow and be careful !
    Shoot , if I can do it anyone can.
    Gary