Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few guns I picked up and kept over the last few months that I was "lost" from the forum again. Stuff I will probably keep. Already traded a few others that were not to my liking.

A Remington Model 1900 double in 12 ga. Probably made in the last couple of yeears of production. 1909-10. Gun was tight, 80% overall finish. Slight stock repair that has since been cleaned up. Fired 2 3/4" field loads just fine. Well worth the 2 bills I gave a guy for it. Caught him at the door of he gunshow before someone told him what the book value really was.

A Taurus PT-1911 in .45 acp. It was an LNIB gun that I got off another walk in at a show. It wasn't a fantastic buy at 3 bills, but it worked just gine. Gun was hardly used. Guy said he bought it to get hisCC permit & decided it was too heavy to carry. Needed $ for a small plastic fantastic. It's not a Ruger for sure, but it works great. It has the long trigger, beavertail grip safety, round hammer, steel guiderod & recoil spring, And the guy added some Trijicon sights to it. This one shot to the POA with the sights. Last one I had shot like a foot and a half low at 20 feet. I'm happy with this one, but still looking for a cheap used R.I.A.

A couple of guns I got off 2 brothers. They were owned by their father and they had no use for them. They had been all over the show trying to get 2 for the Rem 870 Express in 12 ga and 150 for a "Bubbafied" Jap Arisaka in 7.7 cal. Both were in good shape. The Arisaka metal was great inside and out. Stock looked good, but shoulda been left alone. They were on their way out of a show. I stuck a couple of C notes in their faces for the pair. They took it.

A Glock 17 Gen 2 in 9 mil. Caught this guy at the door to the gunshow on my way to the bathroom. Got lucky cause another guy got to him first. He only wanted 3 for the gun with 2 mags and a generic box. The byer only had 2 bills. that didn't work. I grabbed it and tried 250. Settled for 275. It worked.

A Remington 700 BDL bolt gun in .270 Winch. cal. It has a 3X9X40 on it. Guy and his son had been at a show all day trying to get 5 and a half for it. I offered 4 cause it had a ffew dings. Well, i'm a sucker for a Rem 700 BDL too. Already have one like this. He settled for 4 and a quarter. A bit much,but it is a BDL. Shoots great too.

And this little belly gun. A Taurus Tracker snub in .44Magnum. Yeah it's a recoiling M.F. with magnum loads. O.K. with .44 spls. it's a 5 shot, stainless, and has a fiber optic front sight.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
How many of these you still got?;)

Hang on to that double barrel...:cool:

or send it to me and let me hang on to it.:)

Jim

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
How much did you pay for the Tracker .44?

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many of these you still got?;)

Hang on to that double barrel...:cool:

or send it to me and let me hang on to it.:)

Jim
Still have them all. Only selling off the Wally World stuff, mostly. You can get some of these at Walmat.

Tot the Tracker for 3 off a guy I know tthat brought it to a show to sell it off.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Fidough,

I might consider swapping the Remington double. So if ya ever wanna swap off that Russian "alley sweeper" in your "a shotgun" thread, let me know. I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe if ya throw in the 2K rounds of buckshot with it.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I want to congratulate you on buying the Remington BDL. For me, that is truly one of the finest rifles you can purchase. I have had a number of them and still have 1 left, 7mm Magnum which I used on many an elk hunt. Personally I don't think you paid too much as these rifles had a number of features on it that you just can't beat. Had a chance to purchase a BDL .270 cal. years ago and I passed it up. To this day, I feel that was a mistake. I never shot a .270 but Jack O'Conner swore by that round however he kind of over expressed his enthusiasm on how much big game could be taken by it, however they proved to be a straight shooter. Congrats on your good buys. Just wondering, what caliber is the rifle?

Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Um, Tommy, I think it's a .270 Win.

Neither here nor there, I prefer the ADL stock, for aesthetic reasons. BDL is handier though.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey Fidough,

I might consider swapping the Remington double. So if ya ever wanna swap off that Russian "alley sweeper" in your "a shotgun" thread, let me know. I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe if ya throw in the 2K rounds of buckshot with it.
You would have to con ....er ..I mean negotiate with my lovely bride on that one.:):D

I know better than to try and swap guns with my teacher,,;)

Luv ya brother..

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
You would have to con ....er ..I mean negotiate with my lovely bride on that one.:):D

I know better than to try and swap guns with my teacher,,;)

Luv ya brother..

Jim
This sounds like a con job. Although I don't know the particulars, I don't really want to know but it sounds like on con trying to con another con.

:duck:

Tommy

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to congratulate you on buying the Remington BDL. For me, that is truly one of the finest rifles you can purchase. I have had a number of them and still have 1 left, 7mm Magnum which I used on many an elk hunt. Personally I don't think you paid too much as these rifles had a number of features on it that you just can't beat. Had a chance to purchase a BDL .270 cal. years ago and I passed it up. To this day, I feel that was a mistake. I never shot a .270 but Jack O'Conner swore by that round however he kind of over expressed his enthusiasm on how much big game could be taken by it, however they proved to be a straight shooter. Congrats on your good buys. Just wondering, what caliber is the rifle?

Tommy
Yeah, it's a .270 Winch. I have had another like it since the mid 80s that has never been in the field. A guy bought it new and went to sight in the iron sights with his buddy. Somehow they lost the rear sight blade on it. Got that one for 180 back then. I put a scope on it, but never used it cause I had a Ruger M77 in .270 already. And a spare walnut stocked ADL .270 that we used alot also. I was reading too many Jack O'Conner stories back then. Eventually I swapped the ADl for a .243 ADL. I started using that one more than the others. Most of the time I was handloading the .270s with 100 to 130 gr bullets. Recoil was nuch less, but it still had the blast. The .243 was adequate for anything around here. We don't have elk in south Texas.

I eventually sold the ADLs cause I started tinkering with the 7-08 in a Winchester Featherweight. It's a good caliber for anything around here. But, I got kinda nostalgic in the last few year. So, I picked up a like new walnut ADL .243 off a guy at a show and this BDL in .270. It wasn't like I needed them cause I still had my old Ruger M77 and Rem 700 in .270. I just don't see them around much now. Everything is in black and plastic. I had been using a black and poly ADL .243 for the last few yars around the old rancho. But it just doesn't look like these guns.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pancho. I'm sure you were aware about the recall/replacement on the Remington 700's. Do you know if the trigger assembly has been replaced?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-to-replace-triggers-in-all-model-700-rifles/
Yep, fully aware of the problem. I have never had one fail on me. I did have one 70s vintage ADL.243 that I got from a local coah. He had taken it to a gunsmith to have the trigger lightened up. Don't know why someone would needd to do that on a Remmy 700. Anyway. all ya had to do was rest your finger ont he trigger and boom. I never had it go off, but my F in law did. All he ever hunted with was an old Bubbafied .303 British. Guess he had a little buck fever that day or wasn't expecting that light of a pull. It went boom while he was getting ready to shoot at a buck.

Had onther ADL 243 that, for some unknown reason, had sprayed with some kinda sticky metal preservative on the inside. kinda sticky like cosmoline. That one would sometimes hangfire when the weather was cold. I finally stripped it and soaked the action in acetone and got the crap off the metal. It worked fine after that.

Yeah, those 2 had problems, but they were created after they left the factory. I have not had one kaboom for no other reason.........yet.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Yea...the Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag is a flat shooting game getter that will drop anything on this continent...( never had a problem with my trigger either. )

·
Registered
992 Posts
Had a BDL once, it came with a heavy mushy trigger. We worked it down to about 4 lbs. and crisp. I smacked the butt stock on the deck for 10 minutes trying to get the pin to fall and it held the whole time. I think most of the accidental discharges come from making the trigger too light. My hunting buddies always say the lighter the better. No matter what people say, I think a clean 4 pound trigger is just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Had a BDL once, it came with a heavy mushy trigger. We worked it down to about 4 lbs. and crisp. I smacked the butt stock on the deck for 10 minutes trying to get the pin to fall and it held the whole time. I think most of the accidental discharges come from making the trigger too light. My hunting buddies always say the lighter the better. No matter what people say, I think a clean 4 pound trigger is just fine.
Most (all?) of the accidental discharges of that trigger happened when the safety was moved fro Safe to Fire. The safety blocks the sear. That's all I've heard/read about it. I don't understand details of the mechanism.

I swapped out the trigger ass'y in my 700 to a Timney, following the recommendation of a bunch of folks on the Remington forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts