Guns at Walmart

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SavageGuy, Apr 21, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Don't you guys just LOVE buying guns at Walmart? (Sarcasm)

Seems like nobody behind the gun counter knows what they're doing. I've only ever bought one gun from Walmart. It was a shotgun. The only reason I got it at there is because I literally needed it the next morning and the price was good.

I recently was at Walmart looking at the non-existent .22 ammo when some guy came up and asked about .380 ammo. While he was choosing the one he wanted, the guy behind the gun counter said that the guy could use .380 in a .357 mag and vice-versa. The guy buying the ammo was a little confused but I think he knew what he was doing. The Walmart guy had obviously mixed up the enterchangability of the .38 spl and .357. Except you can't use .357 in a .38.
    Anyway, I didn't want to get involved but I mentioned to the Walmart guy that the .380 was an auto cartridge while the .357 was a revolver. He didn't seem to understand (obviously he had never gone shooting before) and so I excused myself and finished my shopping.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

When dish satellites were sold at Walmart the young girl told me you want trees because the trees bounce the signal for better reception. Walmart evidently has no screening for qualifications to work some departments. The deal with the ammo is the perfect example of that also.

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

My local walmart has one guy who is pretty good in their sporting goods dept. He's not a shopping mall ninja and he actually hunts and fishes. Problem is, that walmart doesn't sell guns...

4. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

I bought a 22 Mossberg at our Walmart last week for $99. It had been $160. They had a bunch of rifles marked down. Figured my grandson could learn on it.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My 'local' Walmart is across the river in NH. Complicates things - too much.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I once bought my son a single shot New England Firearms shotgun. He went a year without using it and when I traded it in at a gun shop it came up on the interstate theft list. Seams the distributer misplaced it and reported it stolen, then found it and shipped it to Wal-Mart without telling BATF it had been found. Suppose it could have happened to anyone but I don't by guns at Wal-Mart.:cool:

7. Bullitt69

Bullitt69 New Member

Not a Walmart fan however I do go there for ammo and beer. In defense of them there is a burly guy at the Speedway/Kolb store who is very knowledgeable about guns. He is not there all the time though.

8. RonSwanson

RonSwanson New Member

I do my research and know what I want before I go into the store. I'd rather deal with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, personally. They get me what I want, if they have it, and leave me alone. Used car salesman and gun store employees are cut from the same cloth. Maybe I just need a better store...

9. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

We had a small store. It sold guns and stopped @ 10 years ago. It closed last year. Some of the locals told me that they would go every year at the start of hunting season and get a shotgun or rifle. They would keep the receipt. After the season was over, they weould return the gun for whatever reason and get their money back.

It was kinda hard to think the would take one back after several months, but I was told they did. One guy told me he did it every year till they stopped selling guns.

I went to buy a couple of 10/22s when they stopped selling guns and red tagged all their guns. One o the boxed guns I opened clearly had dings, wear on the bolt from recoil, & dirt in the action from being carried around for a good while. So, I believed it after that.

10. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Expecting knowledgable service at Walmart is like expecting a fine meal at McDonalds. Personally, I avoid WM as much as possible. As far as firearms, I'll gladly pay more at a local shop than WM. I guess to some, that difference in $ is a major issue. Curious how many swore off WM when they pulled firearms a few years back. Money over morals?

11. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Money talks, suckers walk!!!!

12. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

I will buy a gun anywhere if I can save money.

13. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

The fact that someone sells something, does not make them an expert on it. I don't really expect the guy at Wal-Mart to know any more about guns, than I expect him to know about oil filters when I see him over in automotive the next day.

And it's always been that way. The clerk at Sears, or J.C. Penny's or F.W. Woolworth, didn't know much more about the guns they sold than the average Wal-Mart employee does today. None of those stores did much in the way of training either.

14. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Just curious where all those pinching every penny are going to go for help when those little shops are all gone? Personally, if those few dollars saved at Walmart are SOO important to save, the budget THAT tight, then money spent on the gun likely shouldn't be and instead put towards other more important things.

15. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Your right there, Mon! That's why I buy lightly used. We're lucky that we have two gun shops in our little town!

16. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm gonna start a thread on that subject ^^^^...:)

Jim

17. RonSwanson

RonSwanson New Member

Because a Ruger GP100 for $560 is some how inferior to a GP100 for $600? Why pay more for the same thing? My budget is fine, perhaps because I shop for the best price…

Issues post purchase? If I can't do it myself, I buy quality firearms where the manufacturers stand behind their product.

18. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Nice inference I don't see where I mentioned anything at all about the inferiority aspects, nice try though. ;)

Please don't be one that's upset when the small shops are gone and places like Walmart repeat themselves and drop firearm sales. Then again, think of the money you'll save then. ;)

19. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

It's not a business to make a comfortable living like it was years ago. The small shops are a dwindling and dying thing now. It's all tiny "non-stocking but we can order it" shops now. :( I'd say thank the Walmarts and internet but it's the people scouring every last nook and cranny to save the few dollars vs supporting the small guy.

20. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

B73 and RS, you are experiencing a difference in philosophy. The secret to preserving small blood vessels in the brain is to be philosophical about philosophy.

[The usual procedure at this point is the philosophical poster sticks in his own opinion, thereby making his post even more useless than it would otherwise be.]