Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Where I live we have humidity up to 100% from time to time. We have to keep after our guns (and everything else) to avoid rust.
Going thru them once a month is what it takes.
It really takes a toll on your carry guns in hot weather. I've actually had perspiration kill the ammo I was carrying in summertime.
If I let my carry gun go as long as a month, it's rusted.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Every six months, put a coat of Johnsons paste wax, buff em , (metal, syn, wood)and forget em .

Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live south of Houston, right on the Gulf of Mexico, and have never had a gun rust. At most, some these guns get cleaned once per year. Often times its 18-24 months before they get a quick wipe down if they haven't been used. I have quite a collection of guns, the thought of pulling them all out and cleaning them is a bit overwhelming.

Now, I can understand looking for any excuse to pull them out and tinker with them!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
My area isn't very rust-active, especially if the guns get a silicone-cloth rub-down before storage. During the winter (non-shooting) months I like to take about a third of them out of the cabinet every few weeks for "re-familiarization". Meaning I fondle, cycle actions, and otherwise play with them while checking the bores and applying that silicone cloth. One of the few pleasures left from my childhood.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every six months, put a coat of Johnsons paste wax, buff em , (metal, syn, wood)and forget em .

Jim
Paste wax even on wood? Really? Never heard of that. Yes - it is an excuse to handle them for sure.
I use Safariland Break Free CLP - cleaner lubricant and preservative.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant "paste wax on metal"? Do you have to buff your barrel to get it shiny? :)

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Wipe it on, rub it if you want, dry to slight haze,then soft cloth buff to a shine. If you leave it too long...its harder to buff off.

Metal, wood, and plastic(syn) is protected .

Been doing it for half my life , never seen any orange residue(rust) off barrel on my white Hanes cotton sox yet.:)

Dont use it in the bore, I use a wet CLP patch in the bore.

Jim

·
Registered
298 Posts
I also use Johnson's Paste wax, no rust. no worries!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That just blows my mind. How do you prevent buildup? I do wood floors and one thing we all know is after awhile you have to strip it due to buildup.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
My guns dont get the traffic that a wood floor gets,
Therefore they don't get the amount of wax needed for that kind of protection.
Heck I only wax my furniture once every 2 years , just for moisture repellant.

So I haven't had a problem with buildup.

If its built up from 2-3 waxings , I cant tell it.

All I know is , it protects the metal from moisture/rust.

I have had guns sit in my safe for more than 3 yrs (unhandled ,waxed 1 time) and not show any sign of rust...

Buildup , I'm not worried about.

btw, if I want to remove it from the metal... a little wd40.

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts