Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a Ruger GP100 with a 3" barrel for quite sometime although I don't know how much I will shoot it. I already have a 4" barrel and hardly have any rounds through it and I have had it over 20 years. Our gun show is coming this week end and I thought I would take my Remington 760 pump action 30.06 to the show and try to trade it for a used GP100. I would like to have one with adjustable sights and the Hogue grips. My rifle is super clean although no glass on it and not much wear on the slide. Do you think I can trade about evenly or should I just leave the 30.06 in the gun safe? I have 3 .45's and 1 9mm plus my GP100. About the only thing I shoot is .45 and I do that weekly so it may end up being another safe queen. Any thoughts?

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I would say unless you plan on carrying it then it probably will become a safe queen. I am not sure if the 3" has adjustable sights as many guns don't have adjustable sights under 4". The 3" possibly could have a noticeable greater recoil also. If you don't plan on using the 760 and it is basically a safe queen then I don't guess it would matter if another GP100 becomes a safe queen. You would have more space in the safe at least.
I have more than a few guns I seldom shoot and are safe queens not because they are beauties but just because I just don't shoot them. Ha Like I needed another 22LR pistol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 4" and a 3". The 4" is a 1980s model I bought used, and put fiber optic sights on, and it's super accurate, and sits in my nightstand. But the 3" feels better in my hands (better balance, maybe) and even with fixed trench sights I'd rather shoot it, and do often. It's a delight and I would even carry it in a belt holster if I really had to. The two are different enough that I would advocate giving the 3" a try.

I tried the OEM Hogue monogrips, which are ok, but put Pachmayr grips on it and like them better.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do you think I can trade about evenly or should I just leave the 30.06 in the gun safe?

Doubtful it'd be an even swap. Remember, the dealer is in the business to make $ and the GP's typically will bring more than the 760 will. Also, it's the dealer that'll have what you want while your 760 is just another rifle to him (likely) so the want and desire is all on you. That desire costs money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts