Gun Powder Availability around the nation?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by MagBlackhawk, Jan 12, 2016.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

About 6~8 months ago I heard a Hodgdon Rep say the shelfs would be full with gun powder by the end of the year.

Now it's early in the new year, there is some powder on the shelf at my LGS, but hardly full.
    Seems to be plenty of rifle powder, pistol powder is hit or miss in my area. I did find some HP38 in one store and H110 in another.
    Price was fair at one store and toooo high in the other. They wanted $38.00 for a pound of H110, I left without it.

What are you finding as far as availability and price where you live?

2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

I buy online for the most part- but availability has been ok, and price has been fair- $19-28 per pound including shipping and hazmat fee. I buy everything from black powder, Unique, Clays and W231 to H50 and everything in between - it's been difficult sometimes, but never impossible.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am not having any problems getting all powders that I use, in Ky,
    and the price is OK, I guess,
    I think $30 is too high for a lb of any powder.

but I need it to keep my addiction fed.

Jim

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My LGS across the river still has a nice selection at reasonable prices. Vihtavuori is high, but it is high everywhere. When that brand was the 'port in a storm', that figured. Not so much anymore.

5. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I see quite a bit of powder in the midwest. Selection is still down a little though. 748 and 231 seem to be available pretty often. I got some CFE223 for $24 at the LGS last week too.

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Here in the wild west of Az we are still having problems finding powder for pistols. Sportsman's Warehouse carries an ample supply of rifle powder but pistol powder in Sportsman's or any LGS is still very hard to come by. Should you be privileged enough to find pistol powder, grab your shorts because the powder is going to be sky high. There is no rhyme or reason for this.

Tommy

7. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Same here in Tucson, 2400, Unique, Trail Boss just are not around. $38.00 for a pound of V V 320. (Had to separate the Vs as they looked like a W).:confused:

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Supplies online are improving, notably the Hodgdon powders. Just don't expect to see the old pistol powder standbys, like Bullseye, Unique, 2400. I see H110 available often.

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My LGS has a few kinds but not much,mostly Hodgdons,but I managed to get a couple different ones to try in the .223.

10. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

There's a tackle shop in a little beach resort town in Delaware that has dedicated half its space to shooting sports, which isn't advertised anywhere- it's like a local secret-they always seem to have a little bit of everything. You even have to walk all the through the fishing gear and a little doorway to get to it. Love that shop.

11. Reloader54

Reloader54 Reloader54

Here in Phoenix, AZ I've had some problems finding the handgun powder that I like. I've been using Win231 lately and I like it a lot I works well in all of my firearms. But I just cannot find any. Burt I was able to find some unique at a local firearms supply shop. And I ordered 3 pounds of it and that should last me for a while. I ordered it online. And the firearms supply shop called me to ask me if I really wanted it to be shipped to me. I told them yes because I did not get over to their side of town. And that I was willing to pay the hazmat fee. And on their web site they did have a lot of handgun powders in stock.

12. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

No 231? We seem to get tons of it in iowa. It appears like they ship huge amounts out, and all the stores have it for a few weeks, then it's gone for a few weeks. Hodgson, Accurate, and Ramshot are more hit and miss. IMR is around but not the more popular ones. (If a guy used 4227 he'd be set for life around here, but finding 3031 is like finding a sasquatch...)

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I've discovered that IMR4227 is a nice compliment to H110 for magnum handgun cartridges, as long as the loads are at least warm. Tends to move the bullet a little slower, but according to the manuals the pressure tends to be lower too. As long as the case is nearly full, both powders burn clean.

Same deal in .22 Hornet too, except that H110 moves the bullet notably faster.