Gun oil

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by drb88, Sep 26, 2017.

1. drb88

drb88 New Member

Can i put gun oil inside the barrel of my lc9

2. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

Most definitely !
    Use a cloth patch or bore mop to leave a thin coat of gun oil , it will prevent rust .
    You might want to invest in a little pistol cleaning kit, comes with most everything needed and if instructions are no longer included check the net. A good rod is always needed but a bore snake is useful too.

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana !
    Gary

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to RugerTalk drb88! :welcome:

Yes, you can oil the barrel of your lc9 and clean it just like any other gun. Don't just pour a bunch of oil down the barrel though as you don't want a bunch in there while you're shooting it.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Plus it makes the barrel slicker and the bullets go faster.........:eek:

5. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

It's never a bad idea to run an oil soaked patch through the barrel after a good cleaning. Just remember to run a patch through it before you take it out to shoot it. Although, if you forget, you probably won't kill the barrel. All the powder residue and other gunk will just be stuck to the oil left in there and make cleaning it even worse. (Don't ask me how I know this...)

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

DBR,

When cleaning my pistols I always swab the barrel with a light brush and then a cotton swab with a light coat of Marvel's Mystery Oil or Rem oil. A clean barrel is a must especially if you shoot lead bullets. You don't have to scrub hard in most cases however a light coat of oil will do the trick.

BTW- thank you for joining our group!!!

Tommy from the land of eternal Sonoran desert..........Az. Once in a while we get sun........sometimes too much!!!

7. conservative

conservative New Member

Just curious what oils you guys use. Have read bout people using ATF . But also read about it making a gun rust.

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I have way too many. Everything from Remoil to mobile 1

9. conservative

conservative New Member

Mobil 1 motor oil? What viscosity?

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

5w20 synthetic. Use this mostly on my BCG on my AR's but also for cleaning the bores of most of my guns. It kinda makes a mess but it works well and is relatively cheap

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T !!

Yes...you can "lightly" coat the interior of your LC9 barrel with oil...when storing it.

Then, you can shoot it with the oil in...OR...like I do... take a dry patch and run it thorough once to remove most of it.

As others here have said...the more oil in it when shooting...the more crud will be left in the barrel when cleaning. Don't forget the rails of the slide and the barrel hood at the ejection port.

I use everything from Rem Oil to Breakfree CLP...Hell, 3 in 1 will do just as well.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  12. conservative

conservative New Member

Have to look into that. I just bought hoppes bore cleaner and have their oil on its way. But hey, if there's something cheaper than that leaves more money for ammo and new guns..

13. conservative

conservative New Member

Was reading a thread on another forums where they asked what the best smelling gun oil/cleaner is. Got me thinking I might have to go oil smelling tomorrow. Lol!

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Take some coffee beans with you to sniff between each smell test. The coffee beans take away any lingering smells. Most have an addiction to Hoppe's #9. I wonder if Hoppe's was thinking of love potion number 9? LOL
    I think when I run out of my Ultima-Lube II oil then I will maybe go with synthetic transmission oil.

15. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hoppe's 9 is one of the greatest smells of all time.......

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Yea...It smells like.....VICTORY !!

( Kinda like "Napalm in the Morning" )

[​IMG]

17. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

If you can get hold of some Ballistol, that stuff smells incredible!

18. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

+1 on this. That's what I use during deer season on my rifles and every time I smell it it takes me right back to hunting.......