Great time at the range with Mini 14 SS

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Redleg, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I like wood stocks, and I picked one up at Midway for my Ruger Mini 14 SS (Ranch Rifle). As you likely know, this rifle comes with the synthetic stock, but I like wood. Midway sells the wood stock with all the appropriate metal parts, such that the SS action is just a drop-in. Zeroed the rifle today with the wood stock and could not have had a more enjoyable time! Mine has the GG&G tactical rail and Aimpoint CompC3 red dot sight.

[​IMG]

2. oldag

oldag New Member

They are sweet shooting and make for fun plinking.

Mine is old enough it came with a wood stock.

Glad you are enjoying.

3. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

how much are their wood stocks going for these days?

4. Redleg

Redleg New Member

It was surprisingly cheap. Don't have the exact figure but around $130 and that included the metal parts, i.e. the magazine well, etc. It was a true drop-in.

5. firefox

firefox New Member

Love the wood stainless look. My mini 14 is from the late 90's so it came with wood and stainless. This rifle screams ranch, truck rifle. Great classic look!

6. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I have had blued Minis since the 1980s and never gotten any corrosion on them despite the fact that I live next to the Pacific Ocean, with all the salt air, etc. So I don't know how important stainless really is, but I sure do like the way it looks on the Mini 14!

Here is my Blued Mini 14. Talk about a classic look! At the range I often get asked, "what is that Garand-type rifle" (usually by the Black Rifle crowd).
    [​IMG]

7. billt

billt In the army now..

Did Ruger offer these with a Walnut stock when they came out in the early 70's? I know my Ruger Standard 10/22 has a Walnut stock. I bought it new back in 1972.

8. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Don't know if Ruger ever offered a Stainless gun with a wood stock. If they did not they should have: it looks fabulous.

9. firefox

firefox New Member

Red leg- Ruger produced the SS/walnut combo on the Mini line starting in 1989 through 1997. I have a mini 14 from 1996 that is of SS/walnut makeup and love the look!

10. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

different looking, not sure I would have liked wood with stainless but it does look great. I do have a question, the M1 I used to shoot threw the spent cases fairly straight up, how well does the mini14 throw them? does it clear the scope nicely? Good luck and happy shooting.

11. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Sweet looking Mini 14.........btw....great groups on those targets.....

12. stedgar32

stedgar32 New Member

Yeah I was worried about how they ejected the casing as well. But I put low profile mounts on mine and never had one hit. I picked it up for 200. Best buy ever.

13. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I have had no issues with cartridges striking the scope.

14. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

thanks very much, I appreciate it, I am becoming more interested in getting one of these.