GP100MC or 4" Redhawk...

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by VThillman, Jun 30, 2015.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

For the past week or so Ive been toying with the idea of buying either a Match Champion or a 4" Redhawk.
    This because I'd like a DA/SA revolver with a better-than-decent DA trigger, so I'd have a chance of hitting something with it. My Rhino just ain't pleasing me in DA.

I'd probably be more accurate all around with the MC. The Redhawk makes more sense as an emergency bear gun. A 4" .44 Magnum must have a lot of muzzle blast though. WFNGC 180gr .357 is probably good black bear medicine, and grizzlies don't hang out in Vermont.

I am probably not going to get the chance to handle either gun before buying one of them.

I'd be happy for advice from my friends here - as long as you don't get pissed if I don't follow it. ;)

:confused:

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hey, don't jump in here all at once, I'll get (more) confused.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I myself like the 4.2" RedHawk in .44 Magnum VT...

You can always shoot / carry the .44 Specials...and with a Hogue rubber grip...and adjustable sights...nirvana is achieved.

(The GP doesn't do it for me...)

[​IMG]

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/models.html

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yep,

I hunted black bear for a lot of years in Canada in my studly years.

I wouldn't , settle for anything less than .44 mag out of a handgun, and that only as backup to a high power rifle.

Their skulls are like concrete and shaped perfect for deflection.

.357 mag may stop one from eating you... MAY...if shot placement is perfect and fairly cl0se.

I say this...and...357 mag being my personally favorite round.

my pick...the Redhawk.

Jim

5. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

I'd have to go with the Redhawk also..................I think the Red is a bit better firearm...................................

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

How do the triggers compare M/C versus the Redhawk? I know my M/C has a really nice da trigger. I hate a revolver with a rough da trigger. I haven't shot a Redhawk so I can't speak for its trigger action. I believe bikeride4fun has an M/C and an Redhawk 44.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Confused, We're All Confused!

Well, the .357 is a versatile caliber to load your own for. I understand the MC is a great revolver. I suspect buster likes his.

When trying to decide which caliber to have in bear country the phrase "loaded for bear" comes to mind.

In Texas bigger is better even though we rarely see a black bear over in the piney woods of east Texas.

The Redhawk is a good looking piece of equipment. I vote for it. (I've never shot either one so don't take my word for it.)

Now I'm confused!

8. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

You can always make some spring changes, and do some polishing. Ruger's take well to some fluff and buff, and can be real smooth shooters with minimal work and expense..............

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Don't own a Red Hawk...but I have fired my friends in .44 Mag

The trigger breaks like a glass rod.....

10. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

I have a GP100 that I Love but I also own a 6" Redhawk that will hit anything that I aim it at. I really Love my Redhawk. I like it so much that if I ever see one in .357 I will buy it and get rid of the GP. Maybe get rid of the GP
    [​IMG]

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I brought two more guns to the LGS today. The Taylors & Sons/Chiappa 1892 (.357), the Chiappa Rhino 50DS (.357) and the Girsan 1911S (.45 auto) are now there. When either of the 1st two sell - the Rhino may go quickly - I will have funds for a Ruger. Right now I am leaning toward the Redhawk.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Argh! Looks like the supply of new 4" Redhawk .44 Magnums has dried up. I am not willing to wait for another production run , the GP100MC 4.2" is too close to it in my bucket list.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

A Ruger GP100 Match Champion is reclining next to my mousepad as I type. The DA trigger pull is as advertised; the SA trigger is excellent, and the hammer spur facilitates single action use nicely. It's a substantial gun, more mass than my S&W Model 10 with its 3" heavy barrel.

I won't shoot it until sometime next week. The stippling on the wooden stock feels like it ought to work as intended. There is a palm swell, but the stock is on the narrow side... we'll see.

Two of the three guns I had at the LGS sold, so the GP100 was paid for with some cash to spare. I found a possible in-stock situation for a Redhawk 4" .44 Mag, so that 'cash to spare' could disappear, unless my will strengthens.

:rotate:

14. buster40c

Congrats on the MC. Did you get it in the stainless? Did you get the model MC with adjustable rear sights?
    I really like my MC. They are really nice revolvers for sure.
    Where are the pics? LOL so it is reclining next to your mouse pad eh. I want to see what a reclining MC looks like.
    LMAO so now you got a lead on a Redhawk 44. That figures doesn't it?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Stainless, adjustable rear sight. It looks just like the picture in the catalogs. Except when it's relining on one elbow, but Ruger Talk won't let me post that - too racy for old men to view. Thinking about it, much of the attraction of the Redhawk involves a big box (500) of Cast Performance 260 grain WFNGC bullets that I mistakenly bought in .430 diameter. I need .432 0r .433 diameter for my Browning B92 rifle, so they have to be for the Virginian Dragoon - or a Redhawk. Simpler and less costly to sell half of them cheap to somebody - like our friend Magnum, eh?

16. buster40c

So you have sexy elbows do you? I don't think I will get aroused.

17. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My elbows ain't much. It's the MC's figure that is sexy when she's leaning on an elbow.. but you know that from experience. Or does yours refuse to pose for you?

:p

18. buster40c

I can't get her to do anything even if I offer her those chocolate looking snap caps.

19. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Chocolate might work with an LCR, but not a GP100.

BTW I used Ruger's 20% up to $20 discount at the company store to order a BX trigger for my 10/22.

Also BTW I just used the remains from selling those two guns to lessen the bank account drain from buying a Redhawk .44. I may be broke before the end of the month - but I'll have a GP100MC and a Redhawk 4" .44

Hee-hee-heh-heh---hmm --- mutter mutter --- a 2nd mortgage maybe? Marry a rich widow? A rich widow with nice guns? Hey... I should run an add in 'personals' maybe.

20. buster40c

It hasn't worked for me. But then again I throw it into dive pretty quick.