Gp100

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RedBeard41, Mar 6, 2018.

1. RedBeard41

RedBeard41 New Member

I am considering a gp100 for concealed carry. Does anyone carry one? Are they too heavy to carry comfortably?

2. 67stingray

67stingray Member

The GP100 is a great gun but like you stated it is a little big for concealed carry, you might look at the SP101. I carry a Kimber K6s and love it but they are pricy.

RedBeard41 likes this.

3. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

SP101 in .357 mag is what you want. It's a lighter design than the GP series, but is still a hand cannon. Rugged and dependable too. I changed the springs in mine and polished everything up. It's an heirloom piece. 20150817_172951.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

rugertoter, mrmike7189 and RedBeard41 like this.
  4. RedBeard41

RedBeard41 New Member

Very very nice. This is the direction I have thought about going. The gp100 is so hard to find and I like the lighter design as well. I’m old fashioned and like my firearms to be made of steel. I think I’ll change the grip inserts and lighten up the hammer.

5. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

I could carry my 586 4" for hours without any discomfort, except for the need to adjust the 1" dress belt I carried it on. I am now making a 2 thickness 1 1/2" belt, which should do better. The GP 100 is about 6 ozs. lighter than the S&W 586, so it should be carried O.K., if you can dress around it. Smaller, flyweight guns like are in vogue nowadays are less than good, IMO, due to the natural reflex to flinch from the bellow and recoil they have. A mid size, although heavier gun like the Ruger SP101, or S&W J frames, or even a Smith K frame snubby, are fun to shoot, more comfortable, and carry well, too.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  6. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

I carry my GP-100 4" with comfort on a 1.75" wide Mexican belt with a Bianchi leather holster. I have zero complaints. I think with a good belt you'll be okay. I wear an untucked, unbuttoned shirt while out and about and in colder days, a jacket over it, it hides well. For most and while in the city, for an EDC. It would probably be better for an SP-101 for concealment. They do come in 3" and 4" if you prefer. Maybe even an LCP for concealment. They're light, triggers are light and some come with lasers.

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You could try the LCR357. It is light and hides easy in front pocket. You can shoot 38 or 357. It has probably the best trigger of any revolver made. You can buy a new one for about $500 which is cheaper than a GP100 or SP101. The stock trigger on my SP101 327 sucked big time. Many say changing the springs and polishing makes for a good trigger on an SP101.
    I wouldn't go for the LCR 38spl+p because it is so light, about 4 oz. lighter than the 357, the recoil has got to be pretty rough for doing a lot of practice shooting even with 38spl or +P.
    You need take into account many things before choosing the one for you. How easy does it conceal. How do you like the trigger and feel of the gun in your hand. Do you like the sights? Can you shoot 50 rounds practice shooting without your hand, fingers or wrist hurting? Cost and availability of ammo also comes into play. 327 mag are cool but they come at a high price, and aren't all that common on shelves as well as the .32 you can use in it. My SP101 327 was a hand punisher with the stock plastic insert grips when shooting magnum 327.

8. 41magnum

41magnum New Member

I like a 2 3/4" Speed Six in 357 mag, personally

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Stonebuster and Carl Crosby like this.
  9. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

I meant to say an LCR on my earlier post #6

quirky likes this.
  10. quirky

quirky Active Member

Finest DAO trigger out of the box ever made, bar none ! Rivaling even some auto loaders. And no gunsmithing could ever make it better.

The first time I have any serious issue with my EC9s I go back to the LCR and for good this time. I'd probably though go with the 9mm instead of the .357 magnum I had. The .38 special version I had was actually quite brutal to shoot.

11. 67stingray

67stingray Member

How many different Revolvers have you fired new out of the box?

12. quirky

quirky Active Member

I lost count, but in the last 4 years alone I have bought 'NEW' in the box almost 20 guns. And only one revolver out of at least 15, the S&W Governor had an acceptable trigger, but nothing comes close to the LCR.

And all the junk triggers were S&W brand.
    Like a Glock, pay extra for the name then spend more making it to your liking.

However in all fairness Ruger triggers are not great on their other models but I can't imagine they could be that bad as the S&W's I had.

I got spoiled, I cannot not now own any revolver unless it's an LCR. I refuse to spend extra on a gun that in most cases cost hundreds of dollars.

I got the boot from the main S&W forum for telling it like it is. The Governor was acceptable but not without it's own problems. I only bought it for the .410 bore but it's a beast and it doesn't pattern like I thought it would.

I Repeat, There Is No Finer Trigger Out Of the Box Than The Ruger LCR,,,Period ..

13. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Glad you like it, if it makes your day that's all that matters.

14. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

You did a great job! Very nice.

nickndfl likes this.
  15. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

The longer I own my Match Champion, the better I like it.:) Spent a very few $$$ on a Wolff trigger spring kit, replaced the mainspring with a lighter one, and the return spring also. No problems at all. Better trigger pulls, too. Polished the internals while it was all apart, but won't do that again, because it is a tight wollybugger to get apart. (Wife hammering on the handle stub...GENTLY, wife!):D while I used both hands to get the trigger assembly out! Tight is good tho!

16. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

The SP101 is a better carry gun than a GP100 because of size but first thing to do is replace the plastic grips and second do a trigger job on it. The stock trigger dang near needs a tow truck to pull it and the plastic grips have a hand punishing recoil.

The GP100 Match Champion has a fairly good trigger action but it is around $200 more than a standard GP100. Maybe go a 3" GP100 and have a trigger job done on it for a carry gun.
    I have to agree the LCR has a great trigger right out of the box. Definitely go with the 357 mag version because the added 4 oz over the 38+P version makes for a much more friendly shooter recoil even with 38+P. The LCR 357 is probably one of the best concealable hand cannons.