Gp100

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FourEyes45, Dec 5, 2016.

1. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

Need to make up my mind on which one to get , a 5" or 6", it will be used while I'm in the woods also some target practice. any recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Walter

2. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

new

I'm new to this site. JUST AN OL man that like to ramble in the woods, that is the reason for a Ruger GP100, HAVE A COUPLE OD 9MM JUST Wanting more.
    Thanks Walter

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk Walter,

Thanks for the introduction, and joining us..

You will find that your amongst a few other OLD MEN here.

and you will also find a wealth of knowledge here.

Jim

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

For out in the woods I would go for the 6" because you can possibly nail that critter before it gets real close to ya. Like in bear or elk or even a smaller angry critter coming at you.
    I guess also for older eyes the longer barrel might be a plus also. I have to say an inch longer barrel makes my marksmanship much better.
    Welcome to the forum. The more you share the more you get back here at RT.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have had both the 4" and 6" GP100's and enjoyed both of them. I sold the 6" to a buddy of mine who ended up passing away. I was supposed to have the first choice should something happen to him and his greedy sister sold it out from under me. If you want a "walk in the woods" gun, I would choose the 6". If you want a good self defense/home defense then the 4" will more than serve your purpose. It really depends on how much you are going to shoot and for what purpose you want the gun for. I keep the 4" in the house next to my recliner for home protection, however my house is an armory as I have pistols located in 5 different locations. Either way, you can't loose.

Tommy

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I personally would go with a 6" just to get that extra velocity outta the .357 magnum. I'm partial to long barrels
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1481005241.356135.jpg
    I think you'll find lots of love for the Blackhawk here. If you don't have your mind set on the GP100............

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome Walter,
    I don't think you could go wrong with a 5" or 6" GP100. Those things are built like tanks.
    You might want to handle both to see what feels best to you.

:GadsdenFlag:

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The 'walk in the woods' scenario does favor the 6" barrel. If an encounter with an aggressive crittur ensues, there is a definite advantage in the GP100's double-action. If you shoot a Blackhawk a lot, and practice double taps... the GP100 still has an edge.

You obviously need at least one of each, and probably a Super Blackhawk and a Redhawk, and and... gotta love 'em.

9. Uncle_Louie

Uncle_Louie 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL

Welcome to the forum Walter

10. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome! Happy to have you here!

11. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

12. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

Thanks for the Welcome and info. Will order the 6" Monday.

13. kyhunter

kyhunter Member

I have a GP 100 with a 4" barrel and it is great. Accurate and fun to shoot. Taken 1 buck with it at 25 yes with reloads. You cannot go wrong with either barrel length.

14. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

I picked up my 6" GP100 yesterday, HIVIZ front sight will be here today in the mail.....Holster Monday

15. kyhunter

kyhunter Member