GP100 vs SP101 in .22LR

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by JohnR, Oct 10, 2016.

1. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I may be selecting one of those, but can't decide which. I have both in .357, so either one in .22 would be a good "practice" version for the .357. But other than the size and round count, does the newer GP100 version have any improvements or advantages over the SP101? Are the double action triggers really that stiff, or are the gun mag writers just wimps?

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

First I'll put a big 'dunno' out there. Rumor (for me) has it that rimfires need a strong main (hammer) spring. That puts DA revolvers at a disadvantage right there.

My GP100MC has an adequate hammer spur, so I can fire it SA or DA as the situation indicates.

Wow, that tells you what you need to know, eh?

The GP100 .22RF seems pretty heavy duty for a .22RF. The SP101 not so much.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

The prices are pretty close and the GP100 IMO will hold more value than the SP101. Both guns are built like tanks and should last several lifetimes. The only advantage of the SP101 is it is lighter to carry around.

My deciding factor would be go with the gun with the best trigger. I don't know if I would want to be doing trigger work on a rimfire gun. IMO a DA trigger is a make it or break it factor in a revolver. My stock SP101 in 327 the DA trigger weight/action sucked which was one of the two reasons I sold it. I would definitely check out the trigger actions on both before buying either the GP or the SP.

4. mark

mark Member

I have an SP101 in 22 cal. Came with a 15 1/2 # trigger pull double action. With some use and some spring trimming got it down to 9 lbs. Later I changed to Wolff springs. That gave me 9 1/2 lbs. Left it there. No misfires because of light hits. The single action pull is great, but never use it. Would be the real deal if I could get a 7 lb. Smith double action pull.
    I really like the gun. I did put a Hogue grip on it. Also blacked out the fiber optic front sight, which made it an almost perfect shooter. The round count is up in the thousands, maybe 30,000 or more. I do shoot a lot, and switch guns a lot. Today it was a Ruger SR22, Colt Woodsman, and a 617 Smith. Tomorrow, who knows? Not that it matters. but in the last few days I have also shot a Bearcat Shopkeeeper, a Beretta 21A, a Smith K-22, a Browning 22-45, and a Ruger 22-45 Lite. I go back another week and there is more.
    Good thing I have an understanding wife..

5. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I took another look at both of them today, and even compared the LCR .22. The SP101 just felt a little better in my hands. The GP is massive. The triggers fell about the same, though the SP trigger feels heavier.

I liked the LCR, but it's not really what I'm looking for. The trigger is nice, but there's no stacking. You just pull most of the way back, and it suddenly breaks without much warning. Fine for a SD gun, not so much for a target/plinking gun.