GP100 question

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by lovetoshoot, Aug 1, 2016.

1. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

I am not the worlds foremost expert on revolvers so I probably need help. I am looking at a holster for my new GP100 and like the looks of one that I will attempt to post a picture of. It has no strap over the hammer, but locks the trigger. My question is, if I hang the trigger up on something, can this gun fire while in the holster ?

I meant if I hang the hammer on something.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

[Jeez, I don't like the looks of that at all. Looks like something the Terminator would wear.] :)

Anyway... It ain't going to fire while setting in there, or during the draw. During insertion I don't know, because I don't know what 'locks the trigger'.

Have you looked at the De Santis 002 34?

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Even if the hammer caught on something causing the gun to be cocked it still can't fire till the trigger is pulled. It appears the holster has the trigger totally covered so I don't see the trigger getting pulled to release the cocked hammer. The reason for a hammer strap loop is to keep the gun from falling or being pulled out from the holster.
    I would be more worried about a 1911 being cocked and locked with a safety that could get moved to the fire position. Still the 1911 will not fire in the cocked and locked position till the trigger is pulled.

4. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

I probably didn't explain my self well. Let's suppose I have this rig on my side and pull on my shirt, it snags the hammer back, say half way< and then comes loose and falls. Does the gun go bang? Is it impossible?

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, you need to consider what is going on with the gun's action when the hammer is being cocked.

1) It has to get about three quarters of the way back before the cylinder finishes indexing.

2) If the hammer falls while the trigger is in the, ah, non-pulled state, the transfer bar moves down. The hammer doesn't hit the firing pin.

3) If you ain't wearing a tough fabric shirt, it tears anyway.

The gun ain't going to fire - but if the shirt succeeds in pulling it out of the holster, it might drop on your big toe. There's your excuse for wanting a strap. but you want a 'thumb-break', not a hammer loop. Takes forever to get a hammer loop off.

Thanks for bring up this scenario; gave me an excuse to play with my GP100. :)

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Ruger says....
    "Patented transfer bar mechanism provides an unparalleled measure of security against accidental discharge".

Like VT said....
    The trigger HAS to be pulled in (or back) for the transfer bar to be up in position to allow a primer strike from the hammer falling.
    The hammer never touches the firing pin. The hammer transfers its energy through the transfer bar when and only when the trigger is pulled.

Impossible? Nothing is impossible.
    Pull the hammer back just enough to put a small pebble on the firing pin then whale on the hammer with a brick. Might fire doing that! :eek:
    Short of something like that, no worries. ;)

7. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

Thank you gentlemen. I have looked at a thousand pictures of holsters and it seems like the ones I like have exposed hammers. I thought the lawyers probably made sure this was safe, but it just didn't seem right. Oh well, off to spend more money on yet another holster.
    Does EVERYONE have a box of holsters?

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The concern is understandable; the hammer is highly visible, and it is a Hammer. Thor swung one.

I live in the hinterlands, so can't 'try-before-I-buy' a holster, even if the holster-to-gun 'final fit' with leather didn't exist. Each of my handguns usually has a #1 holster and a 'backup', the backup being an earlier buy.

9. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

A problem with this gun today. I first purchased a cheap EAA Windicator to see if I liked a 357 and a revolver. Loved it. It veryquickly started locking the wheel when I would use it single action. Fired fine in double action. So, I thought I would buy a good revolver, hence the Gp100. Well. less than 500 rounds and guess what happened today, wheel locked up in single action. double works fine. Got it home and it somewhat freed up, still not right. Gun is very clean. Any ideas before I ship it off?

It locked up again after about 3 tries. Now I know why the SW696 was so much more money.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

By 'wheel' do you mean the cylinder? It locks up with no rounds in the cylinder when you cock the hammer single action style? The same thing happens to the Windicator?

Sorry love, but I get the feeling you're doing something wrong. Take it to a knowledgeable friend or your LGS before calling Ruger CS. Maybe take the Windicator along too.

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

That's strange! I own the Windicator and have never had that problem. Never heard of that happening with a gp100 either. I'd have to agree with VT, maybe it's user error?

12. buster40c

My GP100 MC locked up also but also in the da. I sent it back to Ruger and got it back in less than a week. Around 100 rounds it locked up again. I sent it back to them and told them before sending it back to me fire it at least 100 times to be sure it was fixed. I believe they replaced the safety locking sear. It functioned fine the second time I got it back. Ruger did say they shot the gun 100 times with no problem locking up. When my MC locked up I could hardly even hand turn the cylinder let alone pull the trigger.
    I have noticed you have to let the trigger go forward enough to reset or the gun can try to lock up. That's with any gun but I did notice it more with the MC.
    Before sending it back to Ruger check to make sure you are not keeping the trigger from resetting. If that isn't your problem then call Ruger for a service return number.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Dang, I thought GP100's were fool proof and rock solid.
    Been kicking around the idea of getting one, but now...... ?

14. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

Buster, you may be on to something because If I just pull the trigger without pulling the hammer back, it will work perfectly. It has something to do with when I manually pull the hammer back. This happens even if I don;t let the hammer down. I can pull it back, shoot, and repeat this about 3 times and it locks up, but if I just pull the trigger, it never locks. Pretty strange. Also, this happens loaded or empty.

15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Ah, thanks for the details. Now it sounds like something iffy ;). It's the 'happens sometimes' stuff that can slip by factory QC. A chat with a pro at Ruger CS should be useful.

Switching to S&W isn't a cure-all. The folks who built my 10-8 aren't there anymore.

16. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

No joke. Even the high and mighty S&W has defective guns slip past them. Ruger CS though?

17. buster40c

S&W is no more perfect right out of the box than a Ruger but the difference is Ruger gives much quicker customer service. Anything manufactured in the thousands will have a less than perfect one slip through now and again. Look how many here on RT have GP100 or MC revolvers and yet only one or two had a problem which was taken care of pronto by Ruger. I would not be afraid to buy another GP100 MC and I just might do that. It is one beautiful gun. The next one I buy will have adjustable rear sights.
    Lovetoshoot I believe a call to Ruger is your next step.

18. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

I went home and got the gun back out, made sure it was empty and pulled the hammer back, pulled the trigger, made sure it reset, repeated this about 20 times with no problem. I will go this evening with some .357 ammo and try again. I had just opened a new box of Armscor 357 mag fmj when this happened. Maybe the ammo ? I was just punching holes in paper so I thought I would try the cheap stuff. I do believe I have run this same ammo through it before with no problem. I do recall that it was difficult to eject, but the ejector was really clean. This is really strange.

19. buster40c

I got hold of a bunch of 38spl reloads that the casings were bulged and the head rims were out of thickness size. These caused my MC, Rossi m68 and even my LCR to bind up. The bulged casings caused the head to stick up rubbing the backing frame locking up the gun. Same thing with the head rims causing shell not clearing. The maker replaced all 1000 rounds of this crap ammo for me at no expense to me.

20. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

Ruger says it may very well be the Armscor ammo, and to field strip the gun. If it happens again he says to send it in. This could be the most expensive boat anchor I ever had.