GP100 Performance in newer and older models

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by ErDuck, Aug 10, 2013.

1. ErDuck

ErDuck New Member

I'm looking to buy my first GP100 and am looking at different options to help my wallet. I want the latest model that comes with the Hogue grips but I have also found an older model that comes with the wooden inserts for a significantly lower price. (Both are factory new)

So my question is, is there a difference in performance between the two models since the one with the Hogue grip is newer? If not I would definitely be more inclined to buy the one with wood inserts and just switch it with a Hogue I purchased separately.

2. Butters

Butters New Member

As far as i know (not far :p)

Ruger has been pretty freakin consistant with their performances through out the years.
    I don't believe there would be a noticable difference. Do whatever you and your wallet prefer :)

Someone please correct me if im wrong.

3. olywa

olywa New Member

I've had a few over the years and my favorite is the stainless 6" half lug. Not surprisingly, that is what I currently own.

That being said, they are all performers. I think that the extractor guide pin configuration has changed in the newer models but I haven't heard of any negatives because if it. If this is your first GP100 you will probably be tinkering with it's configuration for a while before you hit your personal sweet spot. I'd buy the older one.

Sent from my XT907 using Ruger Forum mobile app

4. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

If the price difference is that significant, I'd try to ascertain why. The older model well maintained should hold it's value, and not be a significant difference. Unless the newer model is pristine and like new commanding new price.

More information is needed to determine why such a difference in price if both guns are in top condition. If the old gun is not in top condition, it would be the reason?

Bottom line, why is there a significant difference and are they priced accordingly to market value?

5. TimKS

TimKS New Member

Gun #1 is an excellent shooter and gun #2 is an excellent shooter.......the choice is yours.