Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
If you like the trigger job, and the grip/stock, and the half-lug barrel, and the front sight, probably. You can pretty much duplicate all of that except the barrel 'after-market' on the standard GP100, but it'll cost more than the difference in original price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im about to buy m first gun and im stuck between the gp 100 or a sp101, iv read good reviews about both of them, any ideas from a more expirienced person?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^ I would definitely get the GP100. There isn't that much if any difference in price either between an SP101 and the GP100. The GP100 will handle the 357 mag a whole lot better than the SP101 will. The SP101 will be easier to CC because it is lighter and smaller frame.
Like VT said upgrading the GP100 will cost in the neighborhood of the Match Champion. If you get a MC then get the model with the adjustable rear sights.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Yep, I would get the gp100. Holds one more round as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alright thanks guys. The gp 100 sounds like the right one for me. I am interested in the fact that it handles .357 rounds better bcause thats what ill be shooting out of it

·
Registered
753 Posts
I bought into the Match Champion hype about a year ago. I kept it for about two weeks and I'm glad I unloaded it on someone else. The "Tuned" action was laughable to say the least. My 70's and 80's vintage security-sixes are much smoother and much better finished that the MC. I did sell it at a nice profit though!

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
My vote would go to the GP100 but what do I know? I have had a couple for years and they are like a Timex-they just keep on ticking.

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
If I was to get another GP100 I believe I would just get the standard GP100 and do a trigger job on it. Plus put some wood furniture on it. OOPS! getting up there close to price of an MC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts