GP100 grips

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by JohnR, Jan 10, 2017.

1. JohnR

JohnR New Member

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to take the old '80s grips from my 4" GP100 and put them on my new 3". They look absolutely fantastic, love the look. So I shot a box of .38SPL today and the grips feel fine. Then I loaded some .357.

:eek:

Horrible. Recoil flung it up and backward like a .44 Vaquero, and there's a contour right at my thumb that, I guess because the rubber hardened a bit over the decades, really whacked at my thumb.

Are the newer Ruger grips softer and better contoured? I put my Pachmayrs, which handle .357 like a dream, back on the gun the minute I got home, but these sure do look nice.

From Shopruger.com:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

2. Eatapeach

Eatapeach New Member

I spent a little time with a GP100 with a 6" barrel.
    It had the stock rubber,finger contoured Hogue grips. I shot 38 and 357. I loved how it felt.

I'm picking one up for myself tomorrow, with the rubber grips. I had been thinking about the beautiful Hogue wood grips,but worry they won't be as comfortable with the .357 rnds . Then I wondered if the barrel length would compensate.

So,I'll be watching this thread. This has been an informative page in the little time I've been here. ✌��

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My GP100MC Came with wooden grips. They handle recoil OK.

4. airweightfourfourtytwo

airweightfourfourtytwo New Member

John----I just put the new ruger compact grips on my new three inch GP100. They seem to be comfortable and controllable.

5. JohnR

JohnR New Member

Even with .357 Magnum loads? That's good news.

6. airweightfourfourtytwo

airweightfourfourtytwo New Member

JohnR-----yes---.357 Mag is all that I shoot in it.

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Try the Hogue grips. I have them on an SP-101 and they provide better control.

Attached Files:

8. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I have the Hogues for my SP and GP. The GP has them both with and without finger grooves. They do indeed work splendidly. I just like the Pachmayrs a little better.

I'll have to scratch up some cash to order those Ruger grips.

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I had an SP101 327 mag and with the stock grips the gun had unreal punishing recoil. I replaced the stock grips with Hogue Tamers and it made a huge difference for the better. Yep the stock grips looked good but they sucked for handling recoil. I imagine the GP100 is the same.
    Like VT said the GP100 match champion wood grips are comfortable even when shooting 357.

berippke likes this.
  10. Eatapeach

Eatapeach New Member

I've read the Pachmayrs are thicker. Agree?

11. JohnR

JohnR New Member

Yes, the Pachmayrs are about 1/16" thicker.

Attached Files: