Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to take the old '80s grips from my 4" GP100 and put them on my new 3". They look absolutely fantastic, love the look. So I shot a box of .38SPL today and the grips feel fine. Then I loaded some .357.

:eek:

Horrible. Recoil flung it up and backward like a .44 Vaquero, and there's a contour right at my thumb that, I guess because the rubber hardened a bit over the decades, really whacked at my thumb.

Are the newer Ruger grips softer and better contoured? I put my Pachmayrs, which handle .357 like a dream, back on the gun the minute I got home, but these sure do look nice.

From Shopruger.com:

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I spent a little time with a GP100 with a 6" barrel.
It had the stock rubber,finger contoured Hogue grips. I shot 38 and 357. I loved how it felt.

I'm picking one up for myself tomorrow, with the rubber grips. I had been thinking about the beautiful Hogue wood grips,but worry they won't be as comfortable with the .357 rnds . Then I wondered if the barrel length would compensate.

So,I'll be watching this thread. This has been an informative page in the little time I've been here. ✌��

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
My GP100MC Came with wooden grips. They handle recoil OK.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Hogues for my SP and GP. The GP has them both with and without finger grooves. They do indeed work splendidly. I just like the Pachmayrs a little better.

I'll have to scratch up some cash to order those Ruger grips.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I had an SP101 327 mag and with the stock grips the gun had unreal punishing recoil. I replaced the stock grips with Hogue Tamers and it made a huge difference for the better. Yep the stock grips looked good but they sucked for handling recoil. I imagine the GP100 is the same.
Like VT said the GP100 match champion wood grips are comfortable even when shooting 357.

Reactions: berippke
1 - 12 of 12 Posts