GP100 Front site replacement

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by TnTom, Aug 12, 2018.

1. TnTom

TnTom New Member

Of course the stock site is a gotta go. When depressing the pin for removal how much pressure should I anticipate. Im not all in yet but did push a little with a tooth pick just to get a feel of what to anticipate. and the tooth pick isnt the right tool. About how far can I expect the pin to move and I plan to use a brass punch when the time comes.

2. 67stingray

67stingray Member

It depends, some of them are in there pretty tight, I believe it takes a 1/16" punch. Sometimes it requires some penetrating oil or heat.

3. TnTom

TnTom New Member

Thanks Guy I put a couple of drop of penetrating oil in it and will let it soak a while. I kind of thought it might be a little stubborn. It really puzzles me that Ruger would make such a nice gun and be so short sighted on the sight design. Strange. Marketing ploy to get one to buy something else? Naw....

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The sight is most likely pinned with a steel 'roll pin'. Sometimes those pins can be very tight.
    It might eat a brass drift that small. ?
    FWIW ... I'd use a steel punch of the correct size.

5. TnTom

TnTom New Member

Are you thinking the pin can be drifted out? a schematic I looked at shows the pin is held in place buy a spring that the pin is accessed from the front end of the sight and is pushed rearward to free the sight for removal. Never saw a setup like this for retaining a sight.

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes I was thinking it could be drifted. Not owning one of those guns I just assumed... :confused:
    When you figure it out let us know what you came up with.

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I found this on You Tube

TnTom and MagBlackhawk like this.
  8. TnTom

TnTom New Member

I received the replacement sight today and had it in in about 1 minute. The pin and "mechanism" is spring loaded and when depressed the old stock sight lifts out and the replacement drops in and pressure is unloaded via the pin and its locked into place. Ive never seen such a design and its in some eyes a little over kill but slick as a front sight design as Ive ever seen.

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Thanks for the info about what sounds like the ideal way to make an easily replaceable front sight.
    I wouldn't call it an overkill, just another Ruger revolver innovation. Hard to best an all steel Ruger revolver...
    I wonder if the GP100 has had that feature from the start?

10. TnTom

TnTom New Member

Good question. There are about 8 models that this particular sight will not fit. Mine is model number (Standard model 1705) and this replacement sight does not fit GP100® Match Champion™ or GP100® Standard models 1715, 1757, 1761, 1752, 1753 & 1766

Im only guessing but Id think mine is probably an earlier model. When you see the machining involved to accommodate this sight it must have added to the bottom line of cost to manufacture. A simple dove tail would be significantly less in cost to produce.

I sure like it though.

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

" A simple dove tail would be significantly less in cost to produce "
    Yes but a guy could take a handful of sights to the range and try all the combinations he wants taking very little time or effort.
    How cool is that.

12. TnTom

TnTom New Member

13. TnTom

TnTom New Member

That really is a good point. The simplicity and the ease they made into this design actually make it a fun project