Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting magtech .357mag. I've shot a couple hundred rounds.
I clean it after each use.

But yesterday I couldn't get the cases out,without using a rod to push them out.
The ends were flaired a bit. But enough to Keep them in that it took a good push on the rod to get them out.
Why is this happening,when it hadn't before? Do I need a "tune up", polishing etc???

Thanks

PS... 38'Specials are not a problem to get out.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Not clear from your post whether or not you have fired rounds from this batch of Magtechs successfully.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry.....
I have shot boxes over the last couple weeks.
Had a partial and bought a new box yesterday. And that's when the issue started,Oddly enough with the partial box, and continued into the new box.

Though at times the eject rod needed a firmer push. They really were stuck yesterday. Hadn't happened before.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Since you've been cleaning the chambers, that ain't the problem. So... before yelling at Ruger CS, you need to run a couple other brands of 357 ammo through it; preferably including one or more of the Big 3 (Winchester, Remington, Federal).

I hope those other brands do better; I would be, um, annoyed about now.

[I'm assuming that you are doing the chamber cleaning right. It's the same deal as cleaning the bore, except the chambers should be left dry when you're done.]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you've been cleaning the chambers, that ain't the problem. So... before yelling at Ruger CS, you need to run a couple other brands of 357 ammo through it; preferably including one or more of the Big 3 (Winchester, Remington, Federal).

I hope those other brands do better; I would be, um, annoyed about now.

[I'm assuming that you are doing the chamber cleaning right. It's the same deal as cleaning the bore, except the chambers should be left dry when you're done.]
I'll try different ammo. Thank you.
What would have changed in the Magtech? A hotter batch?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I'll try different ammo. Thank you.
What would have changed in the Magtech? A hotter batch?
Just, if not more likely to be the brass. The case is supposed to expand to the chamber wall when the cartridge is fired, and then shrink away from it a little. Over-pressure can mess up that plan, but so can the composition of the case.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
You mentioned that the end of the brass was flared a bit,

If you insert a round in the cylinder, does the brass protrude past the end of the cylinder ?

Jim

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
My bet is that it's the ammo....

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
You mentioned that the end of the brass was flared a bit,

If you insert a round in the cylinder, does the brass protrude past the end of the cylinder ?

Jim
Jim, that blow to your head may have caused a concussion. The brass protruding beyond the cylinder?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sticky extraction is usually a sign of pressure , having to knock them out with a rod is a little too much. Could be hot loads, hotter air temperature can sometimes cause pressure to rise and a soft batch of brass cases can cause sticky extraction.
If I remember correctly the Magtech is quality ammo, but batches of powder can also vary in burn rate and cause problems especially when they are in the magnum category . Try another brand and see if they do it also.
Gary

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
If the brass is sitting in the chamber of the cylinder properly,

I can not understand why the mouth of the brass could become flared.

:dunno:

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
^ ^ ^ Slightly flared, he says, but I don't get it either. I don't know how the machinist forms the chambers, but any method that opens them up just behind the freebores doesn't seem like a good way to form chambers.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Jim, that blow to your head may have caused a concussion. The brass protruding beyond the cylinder?
Yeah, now that the cobwebs and starburst have cleared ....what dummy would even sat that?

DuH.. thanks for clearing that up VT.

Just cant figger how the mouth of the brass flared ..???

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I even had the RO at my range look at it. He's the one that gave me the rod to push them out.
.38Specials come out well.

I'll hopefully be able to try some different ammo this weekend.
And I'll definitely update

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Are you sure it's the right caliber ammo?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finally got the chance to try some different ammo.
Same thing happened.
38spl slide in/out shot or not.
357's slide right in/out. One they're shot though it took a rod and some tapping to get them out.

I think I'll call Ruger and send it in.
It's only a couple months old. Is there warrantee etc???

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I finally got the chance to try some different ammo.
Same thing happened.
38spl slide in/out shot or not.
357's slide right in/out. One they're shot though it took a rod and some tapping to get them out.

I think I'll call Ruger and send it in.
It's only a couple months old. Is there warrantee etc???
Ruger has no warranty, they just fix their mistakes. My guess is that they will replace the cylinder. I hope they tell you what is wrong with the one in the returned gun - because we all would like to know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts