GP100 6" barrel

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by JohnR, Mar 17, 2017.

1. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I just picked up one of these, new. Ish. Maybe. It was sold as new, and came with everything you'd expect except a spent casing. Gun was in a plastic bag in side the case (extra large case for the 6"). But there was no packing goo in the gun, the manual had a hole worn into it where it clips to the case lid, and there was more carbon around the forcing cone than I would expect from a factory new gun. I don't doubt it's new, there's only the faintest of drag lines on the cylinder and zero wear marks at all.

However, the action is absolutely amazing! This is the smoothest Ruger revolver action I have ever felt; new, used, or otherwise. So I wonder if it failed a final QC test, got sent back for rework, and that included smoothing out the trigger for some reason.

Can't wait to shoot it!

2. FourEyes45

FourEyes45 New Member

3. JohnR

JohnR New Member

Here she is. Hogue non-fingergroove grips and Williams Firesights installed today.

[​IMG]

4. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I just noticed the box has a sticker on the label. It's round, fluorescent green, and says "LIPS." Anyone know what that means? Lipseys? I purchased it through Grabagun.

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I imagine it is a Lipsey's because of the sticker and that you said the trigger action was so good. Usually a stock GP100 trigger is a bit heavy. The GP100 Match Champion has a nicer trigger than the regular GP100. When I got my new Match Champion it had a turn line also and black oily surface at the cone area.
    Good looking long barrel GP. Let us know the range results you have with it.

6. dropkick

dropkick New Member

My first revolver was a GP100. I still have it. Love this gun.
    I was given it by a fellow as partial repayment for some money I was owed. Before he moved away, he used to lament giving it to me every time I saw him. - But I never gave in and sold it back to him.
    Mine only has the 4 inch barrel, I've been contemplating getting one with a 6 inch barrel for awhile. Every time I go to a gun shop I always look, and sooner or later I'm going to find one when I'm flush and buy it.
    Have fun with yours.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. JohnR

JohnR New Member

Shot about a hundred rounds, adjusting the sights and having fun. It does not like Tula steel case .357 at all, they expand and won't extract until they cool down. Otherwise, the smooth smooth trigger almost makes single action unnecessary. It's a winner!

8. airweightfourfourtytwo

airweightfourfourtytwo New Member

:)
    I just knew that you would like the new GP. They are nice guns. Congrats.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I think the GP100 is one of the finest guns you can buy once you get past the "grit" on the trigger. Seems like they need to be broken in and/or have a trigger job done. They are built like a tank and will take a lot of abuse. I bought one back in '85 I believe and have kept it ever since. Mine is the 4" barrel. I had both the 4 and 6 inch barrel but a buddy of mine talked me out of my 6" which was a mistake. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, I wanted first chance. The bastard up and died on me and his greedy sister got the pistol. At the time I paid $300.00 for each of them.

Tommy

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My GP being the MC version, no gritty trigger. And I consider the 4.2" barrel to strike the ideal balance of portability and, er, balance. It's a Jim Dandy gun.

11. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I expected the 6" to be muzzle heavy, but I was pleasantly surprised that it feels just fine. No noticeable fatigue after shooting.