Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at and held the new Ruger 44 special at the LGS yesterday. I really like it. Passed on it though. Mainly because it would be another caliber to keep stocked up on. It had a price tag of just under $600.

The pistol, reloading dies, bullet molds or bullets, and brass combined, I think I could justify the price of a Redhawk. Don't care for the 45 Colt /45acp version because standard moon clips will not work in it, but the straight 45 Colt or the new 357 Redhawk. I already have components for them.

Still the 44 special is a looker, but so is the 357! Maybe I should just build another MSR and get the revolvers out of my mind!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
It's the unfluted cylinder that does it for me.......I wish my revolvers were unfluted.....

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
In the past I have run 200gr .44 Special in my Virginian Dragoon for plinking. At 25 yards it hit at about the same places as 240gr medium load mag. Never used it long enough without cleaning to mess up the chambers.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Doctors told me to quit 44 mag years ago when arthritis hit the hands. Closest I shoot today is 45 Colt, no need for 44 Special. Would love a GP100 five shot 45 Colt.:D

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Doctors told me to quit 44 mag years ago when arthritis hit the hands. Closest I shoot today is 45 Colt, no need for 44 Special. Would love a GP100 five shot 45 Colt.:D
Good thinking. There are occasional, ah, wonderings about "why come up with the .44 Special, when the .45 Colt exists?" I don't know if the .45 Colt was still using the balloon case when those questions started.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Don't know the answer to that one, had a Taurus five shot 44 Special many years ago. Bobbed the hammer and sliked up the action for CCW. Friend shot it and asked to buy as a gift for his dad, an ex Highway Patrol Officer. I let him buy it, asked his dad how he liked it and he said "Not something I would have gotten for myself, but fun to shoot, becoming my favorite.":D

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stopped and looked on the way home again today. It's still there. I just want to take it home and rub on it. So tempted to part with the cash. The tag said $649 though? Did they raise the price, or did I look at it wrong last week?

Buddy of mine works there, he says don't do it, don't buy a half of a gun, get a 44 Magnum and shoot specials in it. Don't know, I buy 38 specials because I do not intend to shoot 357 magnums. Same same. I don't intend to shoot 44 magnums either.

OK Greg, build the MSR, matter of fact build two. You just about can now days for that price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts