GP100-44 problem

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by buster40c, Feb 14, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was reading on another forum about a major defect in the new GP100 44 revolvers. The front sight sits with an air gap above the barrel. One sent his back and Ruger said they would replace the barrel. When he got it back the follow report said replaced barrel and gun checked okay. Problem was the gun has same sight problem as when he sent it in.
    Another guy said his LGS had one with same air gap and was told by distributor they are all like that.
    Has anyone here bought one and experienced the same problem?

I read on another forum the sight gap evidently is a design flaw common on all these guns. I am wondering if Ruger will have a recall on this gun? This gun is getting mostly negative feedback from new owners concerning several aspects of poor build quality.

There were several threads from people that have had problems with Ruger defects in the last couple years. I hate to say it but there have been more than just a few on this forum that have had serious problems with their new Rugers. I know Ruger has great customer service but it seems their QC has really taken a back seat. Lately I have been seeing quite a few posts on other forums about Ruger being slammed for poor quality.

I do have to say S&W has also been having their share of defects and poor workmanship.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I suspect Ruger has a lot of those sights, and doesn't want to junk the lot.

3. buster40c

From all the negative comments on this gun, from actual owners of the gun, Ruger better take the hit now and fix the machining problems with this gun. If Ruger was hoping the buyers wouldn't pitch a fit about the botched workmanship they better guess again.

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

Ruger made the choice to make millions of guns not good guns just guns .
    You like a GOOD Ruger buy a older Ruger (RUGER is making junk today)
    Yes they will fix them but really ??

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Ahh, that's a little harsh, eh?

6. buster40c

^^ Yeah I agree with that being more than a little false.

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

So I guess your OK with the front sight ? ( see picture) That is not any air gap the dam thing does not fit .
    I guess Ruger thinks it is ok (they will buy it ) Really . I do love my Rugers (older Rugers) the new offerings not so much .
    But if the buyers of guns like the GP 100 in this thread think it is ok Ruger will fix it That is sad . As for the more than a little false You did not look at the picture ? Ruger service is very good they will fix it (great) getting it right the first time is better ?

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I am getting (OK, have gotten) the impression that Ruger management has analyzed one or more profit/loss models and determined that the 'get it out there in quantity -fix the screw-ups later' formula is the one that makes more money. Upper management of any successful company has always been vulnerable to the bean counters' world view when said upper management is not guided by the founder.

9. buster40c

One gun that engineering and machining got botched up doesn't make "all" Ruger guns junk. Is the GP100-44 a problem child right now....sure seems to be. No I wouldn't buy any of these seeming to still be only prototypes being sold.
    I also agree with VT in that the bean counters, who usually lack engineering or product knowledge, often get to much attention for how to be more efficient and profitable.

I had friends that were machinists and they would look at a blue print and tell management this will not work. Sometimes the machinist had to attempt to make it just to prove to management that the prints were wrong. Seems Ruger management needs to reevaluate the designs of the GP100-44.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^ I worked in a semi-small business that had a manager trying to tell us how and what to do on jobs.
    So I did one just like I was told... Made for a Big screw-up.
    The owner got involved. I got a bonus and was free to do a good job after that.
    (It was funny when the manager took me to the owner to 'straighten me out', he was to blame).

I fear Ruger is trying to do too much too soon. Maybe they need to give a bonus to the right guy...

:GadsdenFlag:

11. TENN2011

TENN2011 New Member

Hello,
    Just found this site. Interesting so far.
    One of the first post I read was this one as I just got a GP100 .44 sp. Love it. Have not had any problems with her. She shoots good.
    A second point, the front sight does not have the gap as shown in the OP first post. It is tight against the barrel. However, I would like to change out the front sight to a black blade as I have troubles aligning fiber optic sights. Not the revolvers fault, but the problem of old eyes.

12. buster40c

Welcome to the forum and you will get off to a better start here if you go to introduction section and tell a little about you and your interests in guns. We like pics for sure.
    Since your GP100-44 doesn't have the front sight gap then maybe Ruger has taken care of the problem.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I saw an advertising pic of one of the European semiauto handguns (Sig or HK or FN. don't remember) a few days back. The front sight had that gap above the barrel. ? I dunno, I just dunno.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I saw the review that Hickock45 did on this weapon, the front sight on his sample was mounted properly and the gun was accurate. If I remember correctly he got his from Buds gun shop, so some must be shipped that are all right.:cool:

15. md8232

md8232 New Member

Oldhand if you stop the video at 6 seconds and look closely, you'll see the gap. I have the same gap on mine.
    Ruger sent me a return mailer, but I'm waiting until several people report that all the issues are fixed.
    Right now it is a mixed bag on what is being returned. I'm following this on several forums and hope it is fixed soon.
    Besides the front sight, there are reported issues with barrel fit, and cylinder to barrel fit.
    Also the cylinders seem to be reamed to a variety of diameters.
    Oh yeah, trigger guard is fairly rough too.

I love the way this fits my hand and the .44 S&W is my favorite cartridge,
    so can't wait for all this to be resolved.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  16. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Is the gap beneath the sight a functional problem - or is it perceived to be an aesthetic problem?

17. md8232

md8232 New Member

To me, both. To someone else, maybe neither. Like beauty, its in the eye of
    the beholder.

18. MadTrapper

MadTrapper New Member

So when are the problems to be resolved by Ruger? Are they in the process?
    Dying to get one too. Nothing better than a Ruger in caliber starting with 4.

19. md8232

md8232 New Member

I'm following 7 threads about this, and they have all died down recently. I'll be sending mine back on Tuesday and will update once it is back.

20. buster40c

I was at an LGS the other day and he had an GP100 -44. I asked to see it and sure enough it had the gap under the front sight. I don't know if that gap affects the accuracy POA or not. It does look like a design flaw because that gap can't possibly serve any purpose. I think Ruger needs redesign the front sight to remove the gap. It sort of reminds me of a hang nail.