GP 100 very disappointed

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by basinking, Nov 28, 2015.

1. basinking

basinking New Member

I don't understand with todays Machining techniques that ruger cant make a GP 100 with a nice straight line where the crane meets the frame instead of a V. when I bought my 4" I had to go through two other gun to find an acceptable one. I want to buy a6" and I have went through one and am waiting for my gun shop to get another if its no better I think I will go With a S&W 686.I really like Rugers but when my 971 Rossi has a better fit there is something wrong. Thanks for letting me vent

2. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Vent right away brother in arms. I have been very lucky on mine. All my GP's and Redhawk's all do not have that problem. Even the 45 Colt Redhawk I picked up yesterday. I feel for ya. Good luck on the hunt.

3. basinking

basinking New Member

I would hope they would bump up the quality control a bit

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Can you post some kind of pic? I have had a GP100 for years and am very happy with it however I haven't looked at another on lately. I guess since I already have one, I just haven't been paying attention to what they are building now. Thank you.

Tommy

6. basinking

basinking New Member

If you look at the area where the crane meats the frame instead of forming a nice even line it forms a slight v shape

7. basinking

basinking New Member

this one is not near as bad as the one my dealer but if you look at the gap where the crane meets the frame you can see how it widens toward the front of the gun

Attached Files:

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

To each his own but personally that doesn't bother me. I looked at my GP100 M/C and it has the line. The rear crane aligns with the frame but the front of crane sticks out a bit ahead of the frame. It doesn't bother me as being some big machining flaw but that's in my opinion. The gun is considered to possibly be the sturdiest built revolvers on the market today.
    I have noticed a few complaints on S&W revolvers lately so it isn't like S&W doesn't have its share of problems.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My MC doesn't have the "V", in fact when viewed under single point lighting the frame can be seen to be higher, in a band about a 32nd wide, at that point. Either condition is a product of the 'brushed finish' process.

10. basinking

basinking New Member

Don't get me wrong I love my 4" gp 100 I waited through two other guns to get it . I will probably do the same for a 6". As for S&W I bought a 617 got it home and found the barrel was way over torqued when I sent it back they had to put a new frame on it. Its a shame that they let stuff like that out of the factory

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

From one perfectionist to another.

Me, I'm happy just to get a gun that works each, and every single time. I don't have a GP100 but it's my understanding you get that with a GP100.
    That's probably why I have trust issues with auto-loaders.
    None of the loading gates on my Blackhawks fit perfectly against the frame. Never gave it much mind, they are not $2000 guns after all.
    One of my .357 Blackhawks didn't have the accuracy I required, traded it for a .44 Super Blackhawk that has dang near rifle like accuracy.
    Now that's perfection!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  12. buster40c

This got me looking at the S&W 686. I decided I don't need another gun to sit in the safe. My thought was I don't have a S&W revolver. Well that's just tough because I don't have any other reason to buy one. LOL I bet I spent an hour looking at prices on gun sites. I didn't buy any. TA DAH! I so far made it past temptation.

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

I am glad you did fight yourself to not buy something you don't need. I feel the same way. Only thing I CAN'T resist is temptation!!!

Tommy

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah. Way to go, Buster. I have recurrent urges to get a S&W Model 27 Trooper. Resisting so far. I have a Model 10, so that helps.

15. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Good God,

You guys have awesome "will power":metal2:

Not me..:eek:

I didn't realize I was such a weak person...

I cant resist buying anything I want.:rolleyes::)

Some people collect cars, or baseball cards, or guitars, etc, etc

Me.... its guns...:cool:

My wife will have some extra cash , one day when I'm growin grass.

Jim

16. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    You have more money than the US mint @ Fort Knox, Kentucky. In fact I was told that one of those vaults there, you happen to own. Some of us on this thread don't have any money and have to drive cars that are 85 years old. I have 2 (coupe & pick-up) The newest car I have is a 1979 and I just got it in the last 3 weeks. Granted it's an old Lincoln but very well preserved. Now, since you have so much money can you send me $5.00 so I can get a new filler hose for the gas tank. Going to the pumps is too expensive and it will also serve as a belt to hold my pants. God will forgive you for your weakness and I can go to the range more often. Am I being too generous????:cryinglaugh:We don't grow grass here-our friends in Mexico imports tons of it!
    Tommy

17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Now come on Tommy I know you guys don't have grass on your lawn, just green rocks. :spot: No kidding, rocks, green.

phideaux,
    It's not will power, it's this thing called a shooting budget. I know you've never heard of such a thing but my wife has........ D'oh!

18. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Love you guys , and gals, to death..

but yall are soooooooo wrong about me having bottomless pockets,
    I'm retired , SS recipient, small retirement ,

I have a rental house ...just to support my gun buyin habits..:)

It keeps me and my lovely bride happy.:cool:

Plus ...IM ADDICTED.:D

Jim

19. buster40c

I will say one thing about S&W revolvers and that is they hold value and finding an inexpensive used one in even good condition is almost impossible. Except for the Colt snakes I see used S&W revolvers costing even more than used Colts.
    I imagine someday I will have a S&W revolver in the safe. It is just bound to happen if the money happens to be just sitting there someday. I have had S&W pistols that were really nice guns but pistols just don't get my attention like revolvers do. I guess if I find a blued S&W revolver for a decent used price it might just get bought.
    Ha ha as long as I stay off the gun sales sites I should be ok dealing with the temptation.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  20. 2manyhotrods

2manyhotrods 2manyhotrods

My GP 100, 6" has excellent fit and gaps. Bought it about 3 months ago and still loving it.