Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine told me something was getting into her moms house. It would get into a can where she kept the dog treats and take the bag of treats out of the can without knocking the can over. It then would drag the bag into the cabinets under the sink. The house is really old and practically falling apart and it seems the critter had chewed through the flooring where the drain pipes went through the floor.
I set up a trap and attached my trail cam to a chair to see if could catch it or a pic of it anyway. No pics because the woman was turning off the camera when she thought she was turning it on then in the morning when she was to turn off the camera she was turning it on. I had 270 pics of her butt and legs and her dang dogs during the daytime.
Well I got a call at 11:30 PM and she sounded scared. She said something was in the trap but she thought the trap door wasn't down. I told her if the critter was at the end where the food was then the trap door had to have been down. The trap door was really sensitive. She went and peeked through the kitchen door and said it was staring at her and she thought the trap door was down. Please come and get it! I told her I would be there soon as I could get there.
I loaded my SR22 but then I thought that might not be the best choice for the matter. If I shoot it in the cage the bullet might go through the varmint and into the flooring. I wanted to shoot it while in the cage because if I tried taking the cage outside the cage might get open somehow then I might have a live varmint running through the house scaring everybody including me. Also my shooting a 22 in the house would scare the crap out of her 84 year old mother that was probably sleeping.
If I did get the cage outside without the critter getting loose and then shooting it with my 22 that still probably wasn't a good idea. Her house is just outside of town and with the protestors in the next town someone might figure someone was shooting at someone and call the cops. So I took my air pump bb rifle for the job.
Turned out the critter was a possum in the cage. I shot the critter in the cage and took the cage outside and put a few more bbs into its head. It is more than playing possum now.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
One less overgrown rats to pester people...:)

I hate them possums..

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
So far we haven't had any possums here in Az but that doesn't mean that we can't get them. We have enough trouble with javelinas, snakes, scorpions and gila monsters. Never cared for possums as they carry all kinds of diseases. Although, some have told me that in the southern states that some people eat them. Never wanted to eat a rat myself.

Tommy

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Oh the story played out in my head of the loos critter after it escaped the trap!!! Priceless!!!!!!
Good job trapping and dispatching!

Ok I have to know what a Gila Monster is????????

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard possum meat is kind of greasy and not very good. I know vultures eat them in short time. Possums are one ugly critter for sure. Yup look like a really big rat.
Gila Monster looks like a really big lizard I think. Not my idea for a pet but quite a few have them.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I seen one ,when I was stationed in Ft Huachuca AZ, in 1966,

The Gila monster (Heloderma suspectum, /ˈhiːlə/ hee-lə) is a species of venomous lizard native to the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexican state of Sonora. A heavy, slow-moving lizard, up to 60*cm (2.0*ft) long, the Gila monster is the only venomous lizard native to the United States and one of only two known species of venomous lizards in North America, the other being its close relative, the Mexican beaded lizard (H. horridum).[2] Though the Gila monster is venomous, its sluggish nature means it represents little threat to humans. However, it has earned a fearsome reputation and is sometimes killed despite being protected by state law in Arizona.[1][3]

http://postimage.org/

Anybody want a Glia burger..?

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
That color pattern looks Aztec or something like. Being slow-moving meat, the poisonous aspect is probably a necessity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts