Got to the range today!

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by VThillman, Apr 14, 2016.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Temp around 50 and breezy, but good enough. Shot my home defense guns, first time this year. Put up a couple 12x18 'trunk&head' silhouette targets at 25 yards, and emptied 2 10 round mags from the Tanfoglio 45 at one of them. Tried two DA, no glory, the rest SA. one flyer, then everything in the target's 'business'. I wasn't as rusty as I expected to be, but looks like I have to go back to 'cocked & locked'.

Was going to shoot the Hi-Point .40 carbine at 50 yards, but discovered that the sun was in the wrong place - including in the peep. It was screwing up the dot in the red-dot too. at 25 yards I could see enough through the peep to make every shot 'effective'. That's a nice gun for the money. I wonder if anyone still makes a 2 or 2½ power scope that will handle more than .22LR recoil.

Next time out - maybe tomorrow - I need to sight in the RAR .22-250.

Ah, spring. Next week is supposed to be spring-like; I'll be getting after it if it is.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I know what you mean about a good 2X Rifle scope,
    I would like one for 50 yrd and less carbine shooting.

uhhh , hmmmm, I thought we liked pics...huhhhh.:)

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I had a 2½ scope on my Ruger .44 carbine, liked it. Probably a Weaver, but I don't remember.

The carbine pic is somewhere on the board I think. I know I have a pic of the .45, somewhere. That Tanfoglio Witness steel .45 is an excellent piece of machinery. In case you aren't familiar, it's a CZ-75 clone, only in .45 auto, 49 ounces with a full (10 rounds) mag and one in the pipe. I carried it in a hip holster all day one day, and never forgot it was there. The bedside stand handles it easily though. It compares favorably with the 1911, except for the safety toggle. That is OK, but the 1911 has the most thumb-friendly safety I know of.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,

Hauling around 4lbs. of pistol is work enough just to wear you out. I know carrying my SR1911LW can get heavy after awhile and I have to sit. It's my EDC however there are times when I just as soon leave it at home however that makes me nervous. We all have our crutches to bear but I would still miss my .45 if I didn't wear it.

Tommy

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had an enjoyable day at the range even if it was a bit chilly.

6. phideaux

I have a friend that is really into competition match shooting , and all he uses is the Tangfolios, He loves them, and I have shot them,

Very nice pistol.

I have fondled the CZ 75 at my LGS several
    times ....uummmmm, :rolleyes:

Jim

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I think Bushnell makes a 2x red dot that is supposed to look like an ACOG. As for you guys with the pistol caliber carbines, do you guys really like them? I've been thinking of one for a home gun, either in 9mm or a .357 lever gun.
    Side note, the LGS had something interesting today - a belt fed SAW clone, in 9mm Luger! I had to hold that thing, it was wild. Can't think of a legit use for it though.

8. phideaux

Hey Spikedriver,
    that sounds like a good thread to start....."Pistol caliber Carbines".

Just a thought.;):)

Jim

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah Spike, I think that's a good idea too. Ruger's Police Carbine is in their mausoleum now, but it could be a lead-in.

A side-trip into the submachineguns... I remember when the gangsters in crime stories all had Uzis.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

SAW stands for Squad Automatic Weapon? The M60 is/was a SAW? Maybe I knew this once, but if so it has left the room.