got the itch again

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by buster40c, Mar 29, 2013.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

lately I have gotten the itch for a new revolver. I had a SP101 3" .327 and sold it. I basically want guns for CC which is probably one of the reasons I sold the SP. The other is the .327 ammo was kinda high priced and less available. The 3" barrel was not that great for carry. That's why I am thinking the 2" barrel.
    I think the GP100 would be to big and heavy for CC.
    I am sort of on the fence whether to get another SP in 2" for 38 special or get an LCR 38 special. I am not to sure about the hammer less though as I like shooting single action over double only. I've read reviews saying the LCR has a really nice trigger though. Is there much difference price wise between 38 and .357 guns?
    I think I would want the 38 rather than the 357 in these small guns. I think the .357 would not be fun shooting even if had good grips, but I never shot these in .357 so maybe I am wrong. I know shooting .357 in my Iberti 6" has stout recoil and it is fairly heavy gun. The 38+p isnt bad at all though in same gun. I know the lighter the gun the worse the recoil.
    Before the SHTF what was pricing on the 38 and 357 for 50 count? Were both rounds readily available also?
    What is your thoughts about it? Appreciate the input.
    I really like the SP 101. Built like a tank and great appearance.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. Heater

Heater New Member

First, the .38+P LCR is a bit less expensive than the .357 LCR. And both are less expensive than an SP101. I have SP101s in 3" and 4" .357 and the new 4" .22. Have my eyes peeled for a 2" hammerless, but been a long time since I've seen one show up in a LGS. For CCW, if weight is an issue, then the LCR would have the edge. But it will clearly have a different lifespan than an SP101. I've only handled the LCR in the LGS -- trigger on the .38 version was nice and the grip is quite good. I would expect the recoil, even with a nice absorbent grip, for the .357 LCR would keep you from shooting it a lot, and it really doesn't seem designed for long days of range work. I figure my SP101s will hold up to anything I can throw at them (or through them). I also don't see the 3" barrel as being that big a deal for CCW. YMMV.

3. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

I have a 3" barreled SP101 in .357. The factory grips let the trigger guard chew up my middle finger with heavy loads. The Hogue grip solves all that for me and I use it for CCW with an IWB holster. I'm 6' 2" and on the trim side and don't have to wear baggy clothes to conceal it.
    :D
    With heavy .357 loads, it does recoil but it is controllable and with just less than max loads, I can enjoy a practice session. Buffalo Bore 158gr JHPs run 1320 fps/611 ft lbs of energy and make a lot of fuss at the backstop. Don

4. buster40c

I said I wasn't going to buy any more guns. I lied! I figured I would just take a drive and hit a few lgs and then Academy and then Gander Mountain. I thought instead of a gun show just spend the Saturday looking at the gun stores. I have been wanting to see how little stock they probably had and also check out the ammo availability. For a Saturday I was surprised how few people were in the stores. I guess the mad rush has subsided a little now.
    The first LGS didn't even have any revolvers and most of the Semi Autos were the lesser known brands. His ammo stock was about nil. Onward I went.
    At the second LGS I found an LCR 38 special with the pink grips. I had not had an LCR in my hands before so I asked to see it. WOW it was super light and the price was $389. I thought about getting it but decided maybe if they still have it next week then buy it and do something with the grips. Onward again and 3rd LGS didn't have anything I was interested in, but they did have some good brands.
    Academy had some Taurus revolvers and they felt good as well as looked nice. I just can't see getting a Taurus even if it is couple hundred less than Ruger. To many bad reviews on the Taurus for me to take a chance on one. Onward again.
    At Gander I checked out the handguns and went to the revolver group. Low and behold they had a LCR but in the case I couldn't see what it was. Finally a clerk got to me and got it out of the case. Sure enough it was a .357 for $549. I thought the price was a little high. I know Gander isn't a cheap place to buy guns. I asked when did they get the gun and they said last Thursday. I figured they wouldn't have it much longer so I bit the bullet and bought it. I just sold two guns and this gun was less than what I sold them two for. LOL That justified getting it even it was a little high priced.
    I guess next I will take it outside to my set up range and give it a shot.

Attached Files:

5. buster40c

I totally suck shooting this LCR. I haven't shot any new gun out of the box this badly. I was pretty much 1ft or better low and mostly way to the right. I even left a dead cylinder to see if I was dropping the gun, but I was not aware of the drop. I shot maybe 5 of the .357 and maybe 20 of the 38 special +p and 50 of the 38 special round nose. I sucked no matter which I was shooting. What surprises me is how easy and smooth the DAO trigger is. Granted I was shooting from about 11 yards, but geeze this was bad.
    Tomorrow I am going to shoot some more with it and also shoot my Rossi 38 special snub for comparison. I was fairly accurate with my Rossi in single action in the past.
    One thing for sure is when shooting .357 you definitely better be wearing glasses. A lot of crap flying out of this gun with .357.