Got my mini a few days ago and...

Discussion in 'Ruger Mini 14' started by Grizz12, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

And it is not function correctly :mad:

I got the SS tactical w/synthetic stock (not adjustable) and flash hider

I'm in NJ so I ordered some pro mag 10 rounders to use while my factory mags are getting re-fit to hold 15 rounds.

The problem is it is jamming really bad. I was lucky to get more than 3 rounds off without a jam. By "jam" I mean the case was stuck horizontally between the bolt and receiver.

It will be going back next week sometime and I'm sure they will take care of me especially since I have been reading about this happening a lot lately.

Before taking it to the range I stripped it down, clean and light lube. there was a LOT of burrs and metal trimmings inside, I was very surprised. Also the stock had molding seams that had not been sanded down and that was a surprise, especially since the MSRP is over 1k...

QC seems to be slipping and I hope they get control of it. Maybe I should send them my resume :D

Has anyone here experienced this and what was your turn around time from ruger?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Ruger Talk Forum !!

The Pro Mags are the problem...it is NOT the Ruger's fault. Trust me...

You will see when you get the factory mags back...

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk,

ProMags and Mini 14:hammer:

What type ammo you using?

Jim

4. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

Thats interesting because I have read that they work fine. I have read about this same problem on other boards and those guys were using factory mags. I have 5 of those mags and they all failed equally. If it was the mags I would expect at least one of five to work better or not work at all.

What was your experience?

5. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

ammo is PMC/x-tac/XP193/55gr

You dont like the promags either, huh? What was your experience with them?

6. phideaux

My mini is finicky about ammo, it will not cycle properly (jams,fte) using any steel case ammo.
    I have a couple pro mags, same problem you have, but runs great on factory mags, and brass ammo I reload to low end of OAL.

Jim

7. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

all my jams were horizontal (case stuck between the bolt and receiver), NOT stove pipe, which leads me to believe that the bolt is not cycling properly. Could be the gas port or bolt issue??? This is my first mini so I am in the upward climb of the learning curve

I have 1k rounds of this ammo and will be reloading when I get enough brass built up.

8. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I've had a few of the older 182 & 183 series Minis with the wood stocks. Both blue and Stainless. Worked perfectly well with the Ruger mags 5 round and 20s. Did have to tweak a few of the aftermarket mags to get them to work right. Don't even know what brand they were. Haven't had one of the late model Minis to comparte them to.

9. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I don't know much about Minis but Promag AR mags are JUNK. They are about as low end as you can get. I'd bet money they are your problem. If you can get your hands on a Magpul Mini-14 PMAG try it out, that company makes stuff that works. Or just use factory Rugers. When it comes to Mags buying the good stuff is worth it every time.

10. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

Somebody needs to un-confuse me :confused:

Let me start off by saying to the best of my knowledge I have never had a bad mag for any weapon. From all my reading, a bad mag will not feed ammo or double feed.

All my Promags fed fine and did not double feed, so what else do bad mags do and why?

11. SHOOTER13

My experience with ProMags was with two different firearms...a M1 Carbine in .30 caliber and a Ruger P89DC in 9mm.

Factory mags worked fine...the ProMags I bought (just to have extra mags for the guns) failed...jammed or did not feed consistently.

I went to where I bought them and got my money back...end of story. My experience only...YMMV.

I can't tell you why they failed...but after two bad experiences...I do not buy ProMags anymore.

12. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

mine were feeding fine, just not ejecting correctly. When the did eject, brass was flying from the 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock positions and sometimes just falling out like it was rolled out of the gun. When going to the 12 position they would bounce off the front site.

13. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

ok, hold on...You're saying you have a failure to eject, and the brass is not being kicked out of the port? So that the empty case is stuck in the ejection port lengthwise? Never heard of that one before...You might be right, maybe needs to go back to Ruger, or maybe some of the shavings you said were in the action have messed up the extractor and or ejector? Also is it shaving brass off the spent cases?

14. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

Yep, you got it. All the cases look fine except for the ones that had the neck slammed into the receiver, they have a little dent but that should come out when I resize them.

15. SHOOTER13

Are you using your reloads in your Mini...?

Or these.... ? ammo is PMC/x-tac/XP193/55gr

16. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

I haven't reloaded any yet

17. SHOOTER13

OK.............just checkin' !

18. phideaux

Before I sent it back,
    I would try some different ammo.

Jim

19. SHOOTER13

Evenin' Jim !!

Up late ain't cha...

20. phideaux

You know me too well...:D

Yeah been busy today.

Hate it, that hes having trouble with that mini.

9ntimes outta 10 ,its ammo or mags.

Jim