Got my LW Commander back from Ruger

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, May 21, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Mike, technician at Ruger called me yesterday and explained what he had done to repair my LW. Mike has worked on my other Commander before and is very amiable. He said the bushing and slide were "ok" however he decided to replace them both and personally took it out to the test range. He then fired 50 rounds for "fam" fire and then 5 rounds for accuracy. He admitted he had 1 flyer which is understandable. The flyer was approx. 1 `1/4 inch from the group of remaining 4. I was impressed!! At 15 yds. the rest of the 4 rounds all touched each other with the group no larger than 1 inch total. He told me he thought that I would be happy when I got the pistol. They used Black Hills, 230gr. round nose for testing. If, and I mean IF I could duplicate that group, I would be tickled to death. He used a sandbag supported rest. If my groups are twice that size shooting off hand I would still be tickled. Anxious to try it out this coming Sunday (my day at the range). The slide and bushing are tight, much tighter than before and he said to use a 6 o'clock hold. Just thought I would let everyone know. Right now I am a happy guy!!!
    Tommy

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Let us know how it shoots.

Jim

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Will do Jim. I have cleaned it, oiled it all back up and have been dry firing it for the last couple of hours. The trigger is just a little stiffer than my standard Commander but I believe that will loosen after it is broken in. It has only had 150 rounds put through it. (by myself and Ruger shot 55 rounds through it). Sunday is range day and I can't wait to see how it shoots. Also want to try out some new loads I have worked up (lengthening the COAL).
    Tommy

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was wondering if Mike at Ruger was freehand test firing. I thought gee that guy must be one heck of a good shot. But I also thought well anyone that shoots that much would probably be a good shot.
    I was watching Hickok45 and he said shooting guns is just like anything else. If you only shoot a little then you will be so-so but if you shoot a lot you can become pretty good at it.
    Tommy it seems Mike gave it the green light so let us know how you like it now. Mike changed out some parts so you might notice an improvement in your shooting of it. Yeah let us know.

5. hodge

hodge New Member

Looking forward to your update. Have fun Sunday, and be safe!

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Thank you guys for the support. I am really anxious to hit the range and see how it does. I watch those Hickok .45 vids too and the guy is a mechanic. The best part though is his demeanor. He is strictly down to earth and speaks in a language where even my pea brain can understand. I would love to have a range like that in my back yard but I live in a senior section of our city and the neighbors go to bed at 8 pm so even if I am reloading in my garage or shop I like to call it, I have to keep my TV turned down with my door open. But, I sure enjoy watching him shoot. If I could shoot half that good, I would be tickled!!!!!
    Tommy
    P.S. Will give you a range report after the week end and BTW happy Memorial Day to everyone out there!!!!!!!!

7. hodge

hodge New Member

I agree. Hickok is a down to earth, amazing shooter. He's one of the guys, he is very open minded, and even if he favors a certain brand or style, he keeps his mind open, and looks for the positive to appreciate. His video's have helped countless folks- I know that if I am looking into a particular firearm, the first place that I go for input is to youtube, to look up whether he has reviewed it! No one else like him on the net.
    I also like watching Jerry Miculek shoot- he is also a likeable guy.

8. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

ok, everybody has seen some youtube expert shooter. you've watched them over their shoulder, you might have seen their face with dark sunglasses. here's the real deal. this is Bill at Harley45acp shooting his new Sphinx(Swiss made CZ clone). go to about 10 min. and watch this guy shoot. ( if I posted a video it would be very similar). one eye closed, blink after the shot, not cool or tactical. Bill has been shooting for a long time and to look at the groups he shoots, there's 2 things he does do-- get's on target and stays there will pressing the trigger and breaking the shot without moving the gun. so, the squint is ok, the blink is ok, the only bad thing is the dreaded flinch. (notice Bill's grip on the subcompact Sphinx, he doesn't flinch). (I also find that flyers way over on the side of the target is from thinking about girls or money, hehehehehe.)
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnBCp1JGBWk[/ame]