Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked it up this evening. Fondled it awhile, read the manual. Tomorrow morning I'll clean it, remove the right side thumb safety while the grips are off, and put a dab of nail polish on the front sight. And fondle it some more.

I've wanted a Ruger Standard Automatic Pistol since back when the world was young, maybe just because it looks like what a Luger ought to.
Won't get a chance to pop a cap in it 'til next Friday (weather and work), but I'm in love.

:D

:p

:rayoff:

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I was thinking about putting a red dot on my MK IV so I shot it today to see if I felt like doing it or not. I had painted the front blade with fluorescent pink and it is much easier to see now. Anyway I was knocking the hanging wood wedges around real good so I decided against getting a rail and dot sight for it. 60 rounds went quick and the barrel did get a bit hot. Not a single misfire using Thunderduds. Cleaned the gun and there was no lead in the barrel. Cleaning the MK IV is a breeze compared to the MK II. Pop a top and it is ready to clean.

If I did put a dot sight on it then it wouldn't fit in the original box for storage so that was another decision against the dot sight.
I like both the MK II and the MK IV. LOL Sure can go through a magazine real quick. I load three magazines at a time and have at it.

Let us know how your range shoot goes. Pics or it didn't happen.

When I bought mine the standard model wasn't even available. Mine is the Target model. Ruger recently came out with the Standard models that have the old style tapered barrels.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Nice VT! I'm not crazy about rimfire pistols, but if I could choose just one it would definitely be the MK IV..........

·
Registered
685 Posts
Which barrel length did you get?

I like the looks of the standard model as well. Mine is the MKII in 6". I would have preferred the 4", but at the time I purchased mine my state required a minimum barrel length of 6" to hunt with it.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which barrel length did you get?

I like the looks of the standard model as well. Mine is the MKII in 6". I would have preferred the 4", but at the time I purchased mine my state required a minimum barrel length of 6" to hunt with it.
Hah. "Liking" ain't loving, y'know; no 'flights of fancy'. I got the 4¾", for the aesthetic balance. (See what I mean?)

I have CCI Minimag, PMC Zapper, Federal American Eagle, Winchester Super-X, even a few CCI Stinger to test fire. And some elderly Remington Kleanbore, but those are elderly; I'll run 'em in a revolver I'm thinking.

Does CCI even make Stingers anymore?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hah. "Liking" ain't loving, y'know; no 'flights of fancy'. I got the 4¾", for the aesthetic balance. (See what I mean?)

I have CCI Minimag, PMC Zapper, Federal American Eagle, Winchester Super-X, even a few CCI Stinger to test fire. And some elderly Remington Kleanbore, but those are elderly; I'll run 'em in a revolver I'm thinking.

Does CCI even make Stingers anymore?
That's the one I would have bought if I bought it today.

Mine is extremely accurate. 6 o'clock hold and a hole appears in what you are shooting at every time!

They still make CCI Stingers. I just bought 4 boxes of 50. At Walmart of all places.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Congratulations Vt, glad you finally got what you have been wanting. We only live once,(unless you believe in reincarnation.) Enjoy.:D

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cleaned it this morning. The MK IV take down system is really, really easy. My only previous experience with this kind of gun was with an S&W 22A-1; this is significantly better.

Only one surprise. The feed ramp had a high bur on one side, and the rest of that side of the ramp had a wire edge. Some assembler missed a step. The working surface of the ramp has a high polish, so I don't see how the bur was missed.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I ordered the scope base picatiny rail for mine today from Ruger. I figured I can remove the scope until I want to use it. I have the red dot I did use for a short time on my S&W Victory 22 that I sold.
VT I imagine your being a machinist you can take care of any burr problem. The assembler might need new glasses. I can see your point of how did it get missed by the assembler. Maybe I should check mine for the same problem. Other than Aguila Supers the gun feeds good any other ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered the scope base picatiny rail for mine today from Ruger. I figured I can remove the scope until I want to use it. I have the red dot I did use for a short time on my S&W Victory 22 that I sold.
VT I imagine your being a machinist you can take care of any burr problem. The assembler might need new glasses. I can see your point of how did it get missed by the assembler. Maybe I should check mine for the same problem. Other than Aguila Supers the gun feeds good any other ammo.
You wouldn't miss it; field stripped, the burr was pretty obvious. Yeah, it ain't anything I'm going to go to Ruger CS about.

The Standard is drilled and tapped, but putting a scope on it would be an abomination. A scope on a "Luger" Ruger? :puker:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took it to the range this morning. The (fixed) sights are on target. PMC Zappers, Federal American Eagle and CCI Stingers Fed&FiredFine (F&FF, my new code for, um, fed and fired fine). The old Remington Kleenbore were apparently too old; pooped out primers in four rounds out of the ten in the magazine I ran through the gun. Waxed plain lead bullets, kinda messy anyway.

I like this little gun; it's got more than looks. A fun plinker. Good trigger, easy to use safety, bolt latch and mag release. Comfortable grips even if they are aluminum. And the field strip is so-o-o easy.

;)

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Glad you like it. The more you shoot it the more you will like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts