Got it! Mark IV Standard

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by VThillman, Oct 6, 2017.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Picked it up this evening. Fondled it awhile, read the manual. Tomorrow morning I'll clean it, remove the right side thumb safety while the grips are off, and put a dab of nail polish on the front sight. And fondle it some more.

I've wanted a Ruger Standard Automatic Pistol since back when the world was young, maybe just because it looks like what a Luger ought to.
    Won't get a chance to pop a cap in it 'til next Friday (weather and work), but I'm in love.

:D

:p

:rayoff:

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was thinking about putting a red dot on my MK IV so I shot it today to see if I felt like doing it or not. I had painted the front blade with fluorescent pink and it is much easier to see now. Anyway I was knocking the hanging wood wedges around real good so I decided against getting a rail and dot sight for it. 60 rounds went quick and the barrel did get a bit hot. Not a single misfire using Thunderduds. Cleaned the gun and there was no lead in the barrel. Cleaning the MK IV is a breeze compared to the MK II. Pop a top and it is ready to clean.

If I did put a dot sight on it then it wouldn't fit in the original box for storage so that was another decision against the dot sight.
    I like both the MK II and the MK IV. LOL Sure can go through a magazine real quick. I load three magazines at a time and have at it.

Let us know how your range shoot goes. Pics or it didn't happen.

When I bought mine the standard model wasn't even available. Mine is the Target model. Ruger recently came out with the Standard models that have the old style tapered barrels.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Muy Bueno !!!!!! Nice pistolas compadres!!!!!!

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Nice VT! I'm not crazy about rimfire pistols, but if I could choose just one it would definitely be the MK IV..........

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Which barrel length did you get?

I like the looks of the standard model as well. Mine is the MKII in 6". I would have preferred the 4", but at the time I purchased mine my state required a minimum barrel length of 6" to hunt with it.

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah. "Liking" ain't loving, y'know; no 'flights of fancy'. I got the 4¾", for the aesthetic balance. (See what I mean?)

I have CCI Minimag, PMC Zapper, Federal American Eagle, Winchester Super-X, even a few CCI Stinger to test fire. And some elderly Remington Kleanbore, but those are elderly; I'll run 'em in a revolver I'm thinking.

Does CCI even make Stingers anymore?

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

That's the one I would have bought if I bought it today.

Mine is extremely accurate. 6 o'clock hold and a hole appears in what you are shooting at every time!

They still make CCI Stingers. I just bought 4 boxes of 50. At Walmart of all places.

8. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations Vt, glad you finally got what you have been wanting. We only live once,(unless you believe in reincarnation.) Enjoy.:D

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Cleaned it this morning. The MK IV take down system is really, really easy. My only previous experience with this kind of gun was with an S&W 22A-1; this is significantly better.

Only one surprise. The feed ramp had a high bur on one side, and the rest of that side of the ramp had a wire edge. Some assembler missed a step. The working surface of the ramp has a high polish, so I don't see how the bur was missed.

10. buster40c

I ordered the scope base picatiny rail for mine today from Ruger. I figured I can remove the scope until I want to use it. I have the red dot I did use for a short time on my S&W Victory 22 that I sold.
    VT I imagine your being a machinist you can take care of any burr problem. The assembler might need new glasses. I can see your point of how did it get missed by the assembler. Maybe I should check mine for the same problem. Other than Aguila Supers the gun feeds good any other ammo.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You wouldn't miss it; field stripped, the burr was pretty obvious. Yeah, it ain't anything I'm going to go to Ruger CS about.

The Standard is drilled and tapped, but putting a scope on it would be an abomination. A scope on a "Luger" Ruger? :puker:

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Took it to the range this morning. The (fixed) sights are on target. PMC Zappers, Federal American Eagle and CCI Stingers Fed&FiredFine (F&FF, my new code for, um, fed and fired fine). The old Remington Kleenbore were apparently too old; pooped out primers in four rounds out of the ten in the magazine I ran through the gun. Waxed plain lead bullets, kinda messy anyway.

I like this little gun; it's got more than looks. A fun plinker. Good trigger, easy to use safety, bolt latch and mag release. Comfortable grips even if they are aluminum. And the field strip is so-o-o easy.

;)

13. buster40c

Glad you like it. The more you shoot it the more you will like it.