Got Hit

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by uniongap, Jul 14, 2015.

1. uniongap

uniongap New Member

I received a call from the Fraud department of Visa. Someone had stole my debit card number and was going wild with it. I am thankful that I am a member of a credit union that stays on top of this kind of thing. It started today with a $2.85 charge and went to 200 and 400 and 300 charges in three different states. These people are fast! When I talked to my account manager he said this was his eighth one that he handled today. He said they handle on average 20 to 25 a day! I feel violated. The credit union issued me a new card on the spot and i filed a fraud report. He said that more than likely that they will never catch the thieves because they toss the card and go to the next!:mad:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Holy flyin craptastic Batman.

Well that would suck.

You got it all squared away, no cost to you?

Man , just shows ya what a crokked society we live in.

Jim

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

We were hit 3 times on a bank account that is not often used. All 3 times I caught it before the bank did. The first time was a purchase from Great Britain in between purchases in CA. Bank never caught it.
    Then a raley's hack got the same account and started charging away. Caught that one too.
    Then a huge Apple.com purchase.
    I've finally closed that account all together as new card apparently didn't save us on that account. This was all in a matter of about 8 months.
    I feel for you and am glad your bank actually takes the time to catch that.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

To tell the truth, I am so worried about doing any banking online. I hear stories all the time how people get robbed without them knowing. I never carry money in my pockets, (don't have much anyway) so I use my debit however when I buy something online, which isn't much, I keep checking my account. If they can break into the big banks in New York, they can certainly hit a dummy like me. They won't get much, but what little I have is mine and I hate to share with a thief. Two things I can stand are liars and thieves. Where is the day where when we shook hands or told someone sold, the deal was done. I miss those days!!!
    Tommy

Glenn and Double R, you have my best wishes and good luck!

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I hear you Tommy :)
    I do online banking to monitor my account closely. The account that was hacked over and over wasn't online. It was one we set aside for gun purchases and online powder/supply orders. Rarely used. Once or twice for food or fuel. Never could figure out why that account was cursed.
    Best wishes back to you :)

6. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

The ONLY way I use my debit card, is for getting cash......................................someone got my credit card number a few years back, off of the interweb............they were right on it, and issued a new card immediately. They are the one's that caught it. They know your habits and when they see any purchases that cause red flags, they investigate. Debit cards, since they use a pin number, are easily stolen, Use them at ATM's only.

7. uniongap

uniongap New Member

I always use my debit card as a credit card per Delta Cu. Since I did all the charges were stopped before it hit my account. The are the best! I did not even have a hiccup on my account. They have the ability to make a new card there so I did not even have to wait for one to be mailed to me! :D

8. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Wow that's too fancy! ;)
    My little old bank catches nothing and takes 2 weeks to get a new card mailed to me.

9. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

I learned something about credit yesterday. It only take about 7 years of no credit usage to end up with no credit meaning if I wanted to get a credit card I would be lucky to get it now for more than a few hundred dollars.

My credit score is "0" as in zero. So I don't have to worry (too much) about if my info gets hacked.

One of the semi-local car dealerships had a "sale" in my town with the usual enticement of "if this number matches you have won something" bring them in gimmick. Since I had to go grocery shopping anyway I checked it out. Of course they tried to sell me a vehicle. I had/have on intention of buying or the money to buy anything more than the bare essentials I need to stay alive I played along just for the free credit check.
    I could have done the same thing on the net myself but I don't trust the net.

10. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Wow! Didn't know that!

11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Along that same line, we haven't used credit , other than a amazon credit card, in 15 years,(which I pay in full every month) . We only do cash. I dont trust banks.

We did try to get a BP gas card (for discount on gal gas), a couple years ago, they turned us down,
    Basically said we had no credit score and they wouldn't make a dime on us cause we would never pay any interest.

Try buying a large item and paying CASH...that's a problem also...as it tips off the gubmint..:eek:

I guess I just don't like owing anybody,

Now when I was younger, OMG, I owed everybody to the max..:rolleyes::D

On topic.. I guess aint much chance of me getting hit.

Jim

12. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

We have run into that problem. Ma'am we can't issue you a Best Buy Credit card because you don't have enough revolving credit. Nothing like being nailed for not being in debt! Ridiculous!
    We have a Cabellas credit card. Pay it off every month. Much more reliable than our bank. If there are 2 transactions that don't "make sense" to them they lock my card and contact me. First via text. I text it's me and they instantly unlock the card. Has happened a couple times. I really appreciate it in this day and age. Has made a huge difference to us. Plus we LOVE the points we get back to spend at Cabellas. Lol! LOVE THAT!

13. uniongap

uniongap New Member

Talked to Visa Fraud today so I could file a Police report. I was compromised from the Home Depot breach. They said I should have changed my card after I heard about the breach. I have learned my lesson to go directly to the bank and get a new one when something happens and I have used my card at the place that has been breached.

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I had a Chevron gas card and I was going to visit my brother in Ca. I HAD to call them to tell them I was going to CA BEFORE I went otherwise they would not take my credit card. STUPID!!! When I don't use my credit card to buy gas, they daid that since I am not a good customer, they would revoke my card. I said, "Okay, take your card and shove it and same with your gas". 15 years ago, I was having a lot of major medical problems and has bills up the yanger. Only thing I bought, I would pay cash. When I moved to Az I was told I had no credit report. They said having BAD credit is better than no credit at all. Does that make sense? Now I have a credit card which I try not to use however with my wife's medical problems, it gets up there, but nothing I can do about that. Our whole credit system stinks and it's due to the greedy bankers and the interest rate they want to charge.
    Tommy

15. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I agree with you Tommy.
    Our bank actually locked our ATM/CC when we went hunting in the same state. They said I needed to call and tell them I was going out of our normal area. So next year when hubby was headed up to hunt I called 5 days before he was leaving. They said I had to call the same day he was leaving. I told them he was leaving at 3am and they are closed. They said call when we open. I tried explaining that there's no cell service where he's going and the only gas station in town is CC only early in the morning.
    Now that we have Cabella's CC I don't have to worry about it. They text any time day or night. Once cleared were good the rest of the trip.
    Wish we had a better bank.