Got another No.1

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by 67stingray, Apr 11, 2017.

1. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Got this at a local pawn shop today, it's a 1B in 30-06 made in 1984, it's in very good shape with a few handling marks on the stock and no blueing worn off. Was glad to find it, you don't see them in pawn shops that often. A buddy of their's won it in a raffle, glad he decided he didn't want it. Really love theses guns.

Attached Files:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You lucky dog,

Them #1s of yesteryears are scarce..

Congrats.

Jim

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Congrats on a beautiful rifle!

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

What a beautiful rifle!!! You should be tickled to death with that #1. Now, as Savage always says: Range report and if you don't show a range report it didn't happen. He is such a stickler for details. That kid needs to be at NASA teaching pilots on how to go to the moon!!!! Talk about being a techie. I think he could take an anvil apart, re-analyze it and come up with a better solution.

:spot::SoapBox:

Tommy

5. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Thanks fellas, got the scope on it and bore sighted, just got to get out dial in and report back.

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

You crack me up, Tommy! :cheesy:

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Nice! ... That's one fine looking rifle. What scope are you using?

:usa:

8. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Thanks Magnum, I put a Leopold Rifleman 3x9x40 that I just got new for $100 new, couldn't pass up that deal. I might put something else on it later, maybe not. Hope to see how it does today.

Attached Files:

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Even better looking with the scope mounted.
    Congrats.
    I've never even looked thru a Rifleman scope, let us know what you think of it after you give it a try.
    Oh, and for a 100 bucks... me too.

:usa:

10. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Well finally got to sends some rounds downrange with, I was shooting Federal 180 Grain Soft Point. At 100 yards it was on the paper (12"×12") from the first shot, high and right then over adjusted and worked my way up. After about 3/4 of a box, I stopped the abuse on the shoulder and broke out the Blackhawk in .41 Mag for a different kind of abuse. The attached pic is from the No.1 in 30-06, don't know if it was the Rifleman scope, or me and I could have let the barrel cool between shots more than I did. Just a lot more shots than I normally take dialing it in. I'll be back at it before to long, lot of fun to shoot but will work in your shoulder more than some of the smaller calibers.

Don't know why I'm having trouble getting the alignment of the pics right, it should be rotated to the right 90 degrees, maybe you can help me out with that Phideaux, thanks.

300-06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Just curious,
    Were the last 2 shots in the circle targets on right side?

Jim

12. 67stingray

67stingray Member

No Jim, the last ones were in the diamond, figured I'd give it a break after that. Those in the circles are lined up though. Thanks for the fix.

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Stingray,

It looks like you are starting to get dialed in if the last 3 shots were in the diamond. I don't know if you reload or not but I can tell you from experience it takes time to get some rifles dialed in. Also getting the scope lined up can be somewhat of a chore although it can be done with a minimum amount of time if done correctly. I had a Springfield 1903 that I had re barreled and put on a Monte Carlo stock. This was years ago when you could buy the rifles for very little and the value of the rifle is not what stockers are today. A lot of guys sporterized the 03 and they became magnificent shooters. I used to keep a target that I put 3 shots inside of a quarter but I was using handloads. I will try to look through my old loading recipes and find out the formula for that and pm it to you. I finally traded the gun in the last couple of years as I cannot shoot from the prone position anymore. I can get down but not up without help. If memory serves me right, I was using a 165 grn. bullet but can't remember which powder or length of case. Shooting from the bench is much easier if you have a good support and can keep the rifle straight. I am sure you can dial that #1 in so it will have an inch to inch and a half groups, but it takes time. I use to competition shoot so we would spend a lot of time at the range and having a good glass (doesn't have to be expensive) will really enhance your shots. I had to work hard at keeping the exact same hold, grip and concentrate on breathing. Keep up the good work and give yourself time and it will all fall into place. I am happy that you got a fine rifle.

Best of luck!!!!
    Tommy

14. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Thanks Tommy, I haven't reloaded in quite a few years but maybe it might be time to break the dies back out. I'll just have to keep trying to get it dialed in, plus I've got a few more I need to sling some lead with.