Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son told me last night a guy at work had an old Ruger Super Blackhawk to sell as parts . The gun was bought in 1981 a 10.5 inch Super Blackhawk and the guys dad bought it new and never used it . The original owner past away 9 years ago and the old Ruger lived in a wet basement . It had some rust not real bad but not great and it would not work .

My son bought it at the sellers price $25 bucks . I took it apart tonight and cleaned it up and it shot just fine . I will have it coated and it will be used I think we can put a little more money in it ?????

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The old Ruger has two real bad spots of rust . One on the very end of the barrel and one spot on the Cylinder . The inside of the barrel is very good and all parts in the action are ok . the spring for the cylinder lock was stuck but I had a new one . I have the inside clean and working well . Will get a picture today this poor thing will get a new life .

·
Registered
640 Posts
New that gun is almost $800. What a great find, isn’t it nice when your children bring home such a nice surprise. I might even be willing to pull the trigger on it once.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I will give you $100 as is even in that horrible shape. You will not have to bother working on it anymore.
Just because I am a nice guy. LOL

Seriously your son legally stole that gun. By the pic the finish looks like it cleaned up very well.

Reactions: rugertoter

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is worse then it looks in the picture . I got the big rust taken care of and that helps a lot . I will shoot this some but my son will use it a bunch . I will have it coated Flat Black as it will be a work gun . I shot it today ran about 50 rounds out of it and it is a good shooter . I am getting Super Blackhawk Poor this has to stop .

·
Registered
575 Posts
You could always send it back to Ruger for a re-blue.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Nice pistola ya got. I had a nice 10.5 back in the 90s. Guy down the road had to sell it when he lost his job. I had to pay a good bit more than that.

I already had 2 of the 7.5" ones at the time that were like new. And I had another one that had been left in the trunk of a car for a year. Most of one side was rusted. The owner had it wire wheeled and blued. It still did not look great, but it worked.

I bought it anyway and polished the wire wheel marks out as well as I could and cold blued it. It was very serviceavble.

Yeah, I know that Super Blackhawk porr feeling. Only have one niow. But still Ruger poor in general with 15 of them to feed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice pistola ya got. I had a nice 10.5 back in the 90s. Guy down the road had to sell it when he lost his job. I had to pay a good bit more than that.

I already had 2 of the 7.5" ones at the time that were like new. And I had another one that had been left in the trunk of a car for a year. Most of one side was rusted. The owner had it wire wheeled and blued. It still did not look great, but it worked.

I bought it anyway and polished the wire wheel marks out as well as I could and cold blued it. It was very serviceavble.

Yeah, I know that Super Blackhawk porr feeling. Only have one niow. But still Ruger poor in general with 15 of them to feed.
So it's not good to store guns in the back of a car? Oops... I better check the condition of my passengers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an up date . The Ruger 10.5 inch took a nice deer a good shot at a little over 80 yards. I have not done anything with the gun no coating yet . My son found a nice used Holster that fit the 10.5 inch barrel on E-BAY . I have not seen the gun in two months he fears I will take it as mine .

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Not sure of what effect, if any that humidity would have on a poly gun with a rust resistant coating on the slice. I assumed the DBH that I got could have been laying on material that would attact moisture or a place where water would colltct cause it was rusted only on one side.

Also had a nice S&W Model 15 that I loaned to my dad. He was an LEO and wanted something ligher than his S&W Mod 28 to carry on his belt. He hardlyu ever had the big N frame on while on duty. Anyway, He left the Mod 15 in the turunk of his car at home and had forgotten about it till several months later when I asked about it He had never taken it out. It was in a leather holster on top of the spare tire. That gun was covered with light rust. I assume the leather had absorbed mosture and cause surface rust all over the gun. Yeah, I was pizzed, but I already know he was not knowned for taking care of handguns. He did take good care of his rifles. He said rifles had other purpses than just killing. He said handguns were only for killing people. He was not a handgun hunter or enthusiast like I was.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I used to have a Super Blackhawk.
When I traded off a blued .357 / 9mm Blackhwak convertible to get it I intended to hunt with the SBH but I always chickened out and took a rifle instead.
That thing was a hoot to shoot but my old arms began to protest the recoil so I sold out and bought another convertible, stainless this time.
DSCN1955.JPG
DSCN2677.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Nice pistola Magnum BH. Had one baxck in the 90s, but it was not a convertible. Great gun for just about anything and very low recoil with .38 wadcutters. Shoulda kept it, but sold it to a cousin that kept bugging me for it.

I had the SBH and a short barreled .41 Mag BH. I used the short BH More than anything else cause it weighed less. Usually had a 2 3/4" or 4" Security Six around in .357 instead of a BH. Still have a Speed six stashed away. It would take a heavy handload just as well as a Bh without any sighs of pressure. The S&W Mod 19s would not handle the same loads without sshowing signs of excessive pressure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts